Hyper turbo guide thread

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright then thanks for the help. :) yeah I'm sure it will come in handy for the higher stake games.... Even the 11 dollar hypers seemed pretty easy when I would play them. Now 22's were pretty hard, so stuff like this will probably come handy there. It will be a while until I have the 6k needed to play those ;) lol

No problem. I am just trying to help and give people the right mindset when playing these games and how to prepare for them.. :)

The $5-11s are definitely a step up from the $1-2s, there's a decent group of regs, but still very beatable pre rakeback/bonuses. The $22/33s are tougher and the swings start to hurt some lol, but they still should be beatable. I only have ~5k games at those levels though so we'll see how it goes.

great idea for a thread jb...im just a casual hyper-turbo player at the 1.10-5.50 levels....however i think this could really help me learn as at times i get a bit confused in them...will defo be using your advice matt and appreciate you coming here aswell as ive seen your a hyper sng wizard on carbon and your on the leaderboard of every 5.50+ BI...see you around m8

Had to give up the 5.50s the last few weeks. It's too hard to keep up with the guy who wins when I'm focusing on the bigger games :(

It'd be cool if this thread became more of an ongoing discussion. I'd contribute here and there, so if you guys are unsure about any spots, or have some hands you want looked at just post them up..

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No problem. I am just trying to help and give people the right mindset when playing these games and how to prepare for them.. :)

The $5-11s are definitely a step up from the $1-2s, there's a decent group of regs, but still very beatable pre rakeback/bonuses. The $22/33s are tougher and the swings start to hurt some lol, but they still should be beatable. I only have ~5k games at those levels though so we'll see how it goes.

Had to give up the 5.50s the last few weeks. It's too hard to keep up with the guy who wins when I'm focusing on the bigger games :(

It'd be cool if this thread became more of an ongoing discussion. I'd contribute here and there, so if you guys are unsure about any spots, or have some hands you want looked at just post them up..
yea it seems that mcdoobius guy 10 tables all day every day and puts in a shitload of volume in 5.50s only so dont blame ya...id defo like to post some hands from micros on here as many times im completely lost on ICM spots etc...ive railed the 22s/33s a lot and have seen guys like RangeRoverRhythm, violent, and intuitive have dead on calling ranges so i can see why their so tough...its hard to avoid getting donked at the micros but usually a heater for me is getting my hands to hold up by guys limp calling off QT! LOL
btw...do you ever run MTTs on the side while playing hypers?

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hard to avoid getting donked at the micros but usually a heater for me is getting my hands to hold up by guys limp calling off QT! LOL

lol yeah, you'll see a lot of that in the micros. Still happens some in the higher games too, but I love seeing that. Means the games are good.

I rarely play mtts anymore. I played some of the main events of the OPS series this past sunday, but couldn't run good in the $215 :mad: Only cashed in the 10k GTD for a ~$20.:D

ive railed the 22s/33s a lot and have seen guys like RangeRoverRhythm, violent, and intuitive

Yup, those are a few of the regs in the higher games. I only really have issues with one of them, but they're all pretty solid.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
heres a quick ? for you matt....and something ive been struggling with a lot recently to make the correct decision on..at the 15/30 blind level with 255-300 chips what is the +EV play with hands like 22-66 A8-AT and KJs+ 6-handed when first or second to act?

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea it seems that mcdoobius guy 10 tables all day every day and puts in a shitload of volume in 5.50s only so dont blame ya...id defo like to post some hands from micros on here as many times im completely lost on ICM spots etc...ive railed the 22s/33s a lot and have seen guys like RangeRoverRhythm, violent, and intuitive have dead on calling ranges so i can see why their so tough...its hard to avoid getting donked at the micros but usually a heater for me is getting my hands to hold up by guys limp calling off QT! LOL

Mcdoobious is very very tough. I have never had a problem with range rover, and intuitive one is tough. Those guys r like the main regs for those. Also violent is ok.... But I think the best reg I see at my games is mcdoobious.... He plays like 1k games a week or something crazy lol

I don't play too many MTT's.... When I play them it's really just for sh1ts and giggles on a weekend lol. I only run hypers while playing hypers

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
heres a quick ? for you matt....and something ive been struggling with a lot recently to make the correct decision on..at the 15/30 blind level with 255-300 chips what is the +EV play with hands like 22-66 A8-AT and KJs+ 6-handed when first or second to act?

Some tables I'd fold the worst of those hands, but shoving is usually fine.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol yeah, you'll see a lot of that in the micros. Still happens some in the higher games too, but I love seeing that. Means the games are good.

I rarely play mtts anymore. I played some of the main events of the OPS series this past sunday, but couldn't run good in the $215 :mad: Only cashed in the 10k GTD for a like $20.:D

Yup those are a few of the regs in those games. I only really have issues with one of them, but they're all pretty solid.
haha amazingly i have seen that aswell at the 5.50 level...just hard to convince myself its the play i want them to be making....some guy named Phantom1959 (megadonk) is one who puts it high volume at 5.50s yet plays the limping call off light style and gets killed but seems to suckout on me often :mad: I recall you were at my table in the 5.50 main so thats why i asked...i bricked the 1.10 2.20 5.50 and 11 MEs on sunday which sucked....however got 4th in the OPS 5.50 6max hyper turbo last friday for 126 :D

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mcdoobious is very very tough. I have never had a problem with range rover, and intuitive one is tough. Those guys r like the main regs for those. Also violent is ok.... But I think the best reg I see at my games is mcdoobious.... He plays like 1k games a week or something crazy lol

That's interesting. I don't really want to talk about specific players too much, at least not on here, but I do disagree with this ;)

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I don't play too many MTT's.... When I play them it's really just for sh1ts and giggles on a weekend lol. I only run hypers while playing hypers
McDoobius has an odd style that I dont see used by anyone else....overrall he can be easy to range imo...RangeRover is pretty tight however I must say hes owned me many times before by calling off QT J9 etc and being right haha...McDoobius somehow does well even with the high volume he puts in and the odd way he plays...my main game is usually turbo/hyper-turbo MTTs with deepstacks occasionally and im usually playing hypers on the side..have done well with 1.1k profit the past two months from $13 i won off a freeroll after ****ing off a 400$ roll in january which i built off 4.50 from a freeroll in August....happy to say ive learned from my mistakes :)

Last edited:
M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha amazingly i have seen that aswell at the 5.50 level...just hard to convince myself its the play i want them to be making....some guy named Phantom1959 (megadonk) is one who puts it high volume at 5.50s yet plays the limping call off light style and gets killed but seems to suckout on me often :mad: I recall you were at my table in the 5.50 main so thats why i asked...i bricked the 1.10 2.20 5.50 and 11 MEs on sunday which sucked....however got 4th in the OPS 5.50 6max hyper turbo last friday for 126 :D

Nice.

Yeah the 5.50 was the only one I cashed. Thought I had a shot at a deep run, but it ended quickly haha.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice.

Yeah the 5.50 was the only one I cashed. Thought I had a shot at a deep run, but it ended quickly haha.
oh how dreams can get crushed quick in tourney poker haha....didnt win my flips in all 4 mains (busted 3 by losing a flip) and thats something needed to run deep! ended up busting 20 away from the $ in the 1.10 so my carbon main event cashless streak continues lol!

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the thread, my main game is cash these days, but I like reading through threads like this. My only experience putting volume in hypers is on 888 when I had $0.11 in my roll from the initial $2 you get for joining. I played a $0.11 hyper and won. Played 2 more and won each, then played 3 more and came second in each. After that I was 6 tabling these things to build my rill from scatesly anything. After 500 games I had made I think over $7.20 profit and would have produced $5 rake as well. Not sure what the roi is on that or if it's any good. But you can imagine the players were lol bad in $0.11 games.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had an interesting spot in a $1.10 6max hyper SNG today and was unsure of what to do

Situation
4-handed, blinds 25/50
Hero CO- 660 chips
Villain BU (fish)- 330 chips
Villain SB (fish)- 340 chips
Villain BB (solid)- 570 chips

Your dealt 33 in the CO here...is this a shove or fold?

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had an interesting spot in a $1.10 6max hyper SNG today and was unsure of what to do

Situation
4-handed, blinds 25/50
Hero CO- 660 chips
Villain BU (fish)- 330 chips
Villain SB (fish)- 340 chips
Villain BB (solid)- 570 chips

Your dealt 33 in the CO here...is this a shove or fold?

I'm folding here I think.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm folding here I think.

+1.

If I'm on the Button, though I probably jam (1 less player to get past + bb will be a shorter stacked fish. You didn't describe if they were fishy tight or fishy passive but either way I'd rather jam micro pairs into fish than regs)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
since there are two smaller stacks behind, this means we can jam the 33 if we like, it will show a positive ev, allbeit likely a very small one. a preference thing here, folding or shoving are both fine. Usually i'd stick with a fold, mainly because we ahve a really good stack dynamic at the moment, we can attck the solid player if he raises non-all in, and we can shove on the other two players really wide also.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so glad I learned about hyper turbos! I know my sample size is quite small (only 6 tourneys!) but I'm proud to announce that I've cashed in 5 out of 6 of those. got first place twice and 2nd place 3 times.

woot!

thanks cardschat and Jblocher1!

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats Missjacki, right there with you! Woot woot! Cashed 5 of my last 6 also... except for the one where JB showed up at :eek: :D

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats Missjacki, right there with you! Woot woot! Cashed 5 of my last 6 also... except for the one where JB showed up at :eek: :D

Hehehe I'm pretty tired of decent cardschat regs coming and trying to interfere with my challenge ;)

so glad I learned about hyper turbos! I know my sample size is quite small (only 6 tourneys!) but I'm proud to announce that I've cashed in 5 out of 6 of those. got first place twice and 2nd place 3 times.

woot!

thanks cardschat and Jblocher1!

Congrats Jackie. Glad your liking it, :) looks like I started a trend over at carbon.

SofaKingCrazy

SofaKingCrazy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get much time to play poker and when I do it's usually small blocks with stuff to do in between so that is why I like the Hyper Turbos.
I would say IMO that I am a break even player but most of that is my mentality being recreational too much. Trying to break that habit.
I would play the 11c games when Merge had them and really loved it as a pastime for when I was drinking or tired but not going to bed yet. They were around .3% of my roll so that was where the "fun" part came in as I really didn't care about the results. As strange as it seems I learned something about being detached from the money doing this and have used that for my approach to all games.
Not worrying about the buy-in also lead me to not care about the leaderboard during the months I could put in volume. I view these things as more of a distraction than anything else.

Very good thread here and will keep trolling it. ;)

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lost the next 2 so now I'm 5/8 wins. I guess I'm not a prodigy after all...but they are fun!

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
since there are two smaller stacks behind, this means we can jam the 33 if we like, it will show a positive ev, allbeit likely a very small one. a preference thing here, folding or shoving are both fine. Usually i'd stick with a fold, mainly because we ahve a really good stack dynamic at the moment, we can attck the solid player if he raises non-all in, and we can shove on the other two players really wide also.

Pretty much agree with this. I don't mind shoving and sometimes will, but passing on 33 here is fine.

Play 5k more and we will see ;)

Sadly, 5k isn't enough to conclude much. Maybe if you look at adjusted numbers you can get a slight glimpse into how you're doing, but that's still a pretty small sample.

Last edited:
Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play both HU and 6man Hyper turbos on Stars and i love them. haven't done enough volume to say which I am doing better at and I have to be careful as my BR is not exactly massive.
Nothing to add to this thread yet, i am not experienced at these games, but i am really interested in reading this thread. Thanks guys. :D

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadly, 5k isn't enough to conclude much. Maybe if you look at adjusted numbers you can get a slight glimpse into how you're doing, but that's still a pretty small sample.

Oh I know but it was more of a joke about how few games she has played even against a really small sample such as 5k