How did you improve your way of playing poker?

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing and making mistakes then learning from them. Trial and error. There are literally millions of ways cards lay out on a given hand so the learning process is what I would say will last as long as you play cards. Have patience and learn is my best advice.

E

esantiaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a topic I was actually looking forward to finding to add in my 2 cents. Well Ive learned the hard way that playing poker varies widely by the type of audience your playing with whether it being online or in person. But I can say that Ive improven my online game greatly, Ive become what I used to despise; an "aggresive player". Lol. Now although it has improved my game it also gets me in trouble sometimes, but Ive learned to make more then what I lose at being passive. I'm now trying to develop strategy to use both my methods at the tables in order that they compliement each other. Looking for the harmony...

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is a virtue!!! Watch everything going on at the table even when you are not in a hand. People give off tells and if you are attentive enough you will recognize these tells. Learn from other players by watching what they are doing or talking with them about certain hands you played against them. Try to guess what hand they have every time, and when you actually get to see the hand tabled you will know how close you were and you will get better at guessing. Study every chance you get, watch videos and read books.

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the things I've found very helpful to me besides all of the videos, books and playing lots of hands is to watch the pros on TV where they show their hole cards. Really study what these guys are doing and it will help apply what you are learning to your game.

V

vpashuta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like anything you wish to become good at, training, study , and practice.

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing boatloads of hands online dramatically softens the learning curve.
Coupled with watching many hours of pros playing in tourneys provided real life portrayals of theory that I found invaluable.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course, it is important to set the distance of the game itself. all errors are visible and stored in memory.
theory is just a push to the development of the player it is important to lie the knowledge base and already try to apply everything.

1AMBOWLINGNINJA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched poker on t.v. and still do and probably will for a long time. I have read books on poker and done a lot of tourneys for practice and having fun and trying new things. I don't care who anyone is as we all can learn something new each day about poker and about life too.

slurredreaction

slurredreaction

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice makes perfect. If you're playing public freerolls it's hard to learn as the player field is very crazy since they don't care about losing anything since they never paid to get in. The more you play the more you understand the game. Taking down Player Notes is also a plus in this situation.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice and study mate. And time and some effort. the earth was not made in one day it took 6 days just remember that. It takes time but if you like it you'll be successful.

D

Di_Warm

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch the stream, read a book Hold'em poker, try to play every day, but at the moment I have only 5th place in the $ 22 bounty builder ... often out of the tournament with the cards JJ KK AA DD calls preflop ..

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can join a training site, get a coach, review your hands, or buy a poker book.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start thinking about poker like this.

BnaD

BnaD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Implementing the ideas you take in is key. For example early in my poker playing I knew and had known for years that playing tight is the right way to play, yet I was still opening a lot of suited 1 gappers or worse from all positions. When I finally started playing tight ranges it was instant that I was making deeper runs.

T

thackro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no replacement for experience. Practice is a great thing to do but you got to get in there and keep plugging away

Terrell423

Terrell423

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I improve by playing poker. The more you play the more you learn

J

j t

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really took me hundreds of games to get my strategy down.

Nelson1712

Nelson1712

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have improved my game experience a bit through videos of players like Zeros and Jaime Staples, they explain many valid techniques when facing their opponents

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is useful for me to use Chris Murman's audio book about poker where he and his friend understand the game and different situations. many useful tips.
also try to start playing poker ABC, follow the prescribed hands for the beginner in tournaments

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no easy way to become very good at tournament poker. Study all you can, find a poker buddy that will tell you the truth about your play. Sometimes you do not see what your real mistakes are til someone points it out. Pay attention even when you are not in the hand watch what is going on and you will learn from their mistakes too. Keep studying.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Study and Study and put what you have learnt in practice.Best thing to study is Opening ranges and Position. I have tried to study as much as I played andtill now I am not a winner but the main observation or deduction I found was ; keep an eye on players tendancies,make notes and label them if possible try to avoid playing from weak positions and make sure to know which player you can manipulate and which player you should avoid. For MTT the best advise will be PATIENCE and never put all your stack in the middle unless you are 100% sure you have the best hand if not absolute nuts.

Could not have said this better myself. The hardest thing I had to learn was position. It made my brother nuts, I did learn finally. No idea what took me so long really, now it seems so easy. lol
Doing a lot of reading and watching, then play, then read again. The more I played after reading the better the understanding of the total game.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stopped playing T5 !

And, I stopped calling w K-rag suited OOP. I can raise with it but not flat.

Good luck !

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get lots of experience in the player pool (stakes) that you wish to play in. Work out the strategies and mistakes that the average players are making and then play using a counter strategy that exploits them. Play consistently and gets lost of volume in with your counter strategy and you will make money. If you are a beginner learn to hand read, pot odds, counting outs etc first.

chatocham

chatocham

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read a lot about poker and I observ the masters of poker.I try to do what they do.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching raiseyouredge youtube channel helps me a lot