how to play freerolls correctly

N

nazarkrasnuk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually i get to 100-200 players with 1-2k. But then I start losing even though I have a good stack. What do you advise?

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
usually i get to 100-200 players with 1-2k. But then I start losing even though I have a good stack. What do you advise?
There is no magic formula for playing freerolls, normally in these tournaments you will find many recreational players who will play a lot of hands limping in, with any two cards and calling with everything.

The best way to play in my point of view is to not get involved in too many hands, and only play when you have a strong hand, have patience in waiting for a good hand, and please never limp in every hand, um More experienced players will know how to exploit you very easily.🙂

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls (not including CC’s) really are a class of their own in poker. If you’re playing any of the 888 ones, those are hard and fast with only 1,000 chips to start. Mainly they area shove fest. I play any A or K all in. Then either Im out in a hurry and not wasting my time or I double up. Once/if I get a good stack going I tighten up a bit, but again the blinds are usually growing rapidly so you really have to have a huge stack to tighten up a lot. This works for me quite well, without wasting too much time on them. Hope that helps :).

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
There is no magic formula for playing freerolls, normally in these tournaments you will find many recreational players who will play a lot of hands limping in, with any two cards and calling with everything.

The best way to play in my point of view is to not get involved in too many hands, and only play when you have a strong hand, have patience in waiting for a good hand, and please never limp in every hand, um More experienced players will know how to exploit you very easily.🙂
If they limp with total garbage you should loosen up in position so you can get their money before someone else does.

So play more hands not fewer to build a large stack early in freerolls.

If you get a chance to see a cheap flop after limps with Axs, Kxs and even Qxs plus a lot of connectors do so since a lot of the players in a freeroll go broke with top pair or worse.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes people forget when they play freerolls that not all their opponents are idiots. This will especially be more true when we get down to the last 10% or so of the field as you mention in your post (last 200 out of 2k). Yes, some of these players are luckboxes for that tourney and thats why they are deep with a lot of chips but the better players in the freerolls, just like any other tournament, are more likely to still be in the tournament when it gets this low players remaining. That means that the competition you play against at this stage is not like earlier where you can generally value town the crap out of them. Deeper in the tournament regardless of players there usually are less floats since the blinds are larger but there are also less floats due to the fact that better players are left that dont still call without have some decent equity. I bring all this up to say that when you get to the last even 20% of the field in a freeroll you should change gears a little (assuming your stack is not push fold) and realize you cant just bet bet bet for value and get paid. You will have to realize how to extract value from better players (meaning you bluff catch at times, vary your bet sizings, trap, etc.) whereas earlier in the freeroll it was much more easy to just wait for a big hand and then bet bet bet. When you get called deeper in a tournament it should tell you something more than when you got called earlier in the tournament with smaller blinds and worse opponents.

Huntre

Huntre

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Another point of view on this situation, maybe you start lose control in this stage of freeroll, and you need to be more focused and play less tabels simualtenency.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Do not risk if there is no reason for it. Although freerolls are often quite crazy and the main factor in them is usually luck, nevertheless, if you are patient enough you will have a better chance of achieving a good result.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Freeroll with a Hight number of players are hard and unprofitable, just play as many tables as you can and hope to get lucky. So my advices if you insist on playing freeroll: Early stage, play tight-passive or tight aggressive only with good hands and hope luck be with you.

Fumogrosso

Fumogrosso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Usually, after the first break, players change the style of play. Pay attention to that!

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No correct way in my opinion. No wrong way aswell. Atleast the close to normal ways. Everyone has his style in poker, what he likes, what positions he likes to attack etc. You have to play a lot to find your own style and get used to it.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a windlass and be very patient.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Freerolls (not including CC’s) really are a class of their own in poker. If you’re playing any of the 888 ones, those are hard and fast with only 1,000 chips to start. Mainly they area shove fest. I play any A or K all in. Then either Im out in a hurry and not wasting my time or I double up. Once/if I get a good stack going I tighten up a bit, but again the blinds are usually growing rapidly so you really have to have a huge stack to tighten up a lot. This works for me quite well, without wasting too much time on them. Hope that helps :).
You read my thougths. But I only go allin when I have A and a high kicker or a pair formed in my hand before the flop. If I lose I haven't lost time, if I double I start to manage my stack more carefully. From the middle of the tournament onwards things get more serious and the shootings decrease. So I'm adjusting my game.
Except for CardsChat tournaments where the players' level is better...

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Most of the time with a lot of patience and even more luck.
Many people sign up for freerolls just to get in with every hand, then if they win, they win, if they don't, then they don't. They don't have to risk their own money, so they can play bingo.
But there are also more normal freerolls (see Cardschat dailies) played by more intelligent people who try to play sensibly.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
start playing for minimal money, you should not build a strategy in such tournaments

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But there are also more normal freerolls (see Cardschat dailies) played by more intelligent people who try to play sensibly.
I totally agree CC freerolls are more like normal games (especially the silver and platinum levels!) while other freerolls can be like playing BINGO. I play tight to increase my odds. One thing I do to try and win some $ is when I know I have enough chips to make the money, I stop playing until Im in. You will be down chips, but you won something and can then start playing again :)

xico_moita

xico_moita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
There is a lot of talk that freeroll is a lottery game, but I say that if the player really concentrates and plays while observing his opponents' failures, he can achieve great results, as there are very weak players in these types of tournaments, so he can exploit a lot on top. of them, the rest and then continue playing poker and victory will come.

bullkk

bullkk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sit down at the table and play calmly and confidently, without mistakes.

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Luck, cheap flops, position and patience. Put these together and you have a winning strategy.

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends what type of freerolls you are playing and how many players are involved. A different strategy should be applied for each type.

I play the 888 ones and you need to be super lucky to cash in those, however the ones Cardschat put on are really good structured tournaments where you won't need to gamble early or get lucky to cash and reach a final table if you play a solid strategy.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Nothing matters when you are playing in re-buy or add on freerolls. It's a free for all.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
on freerolls, a lot depends on luck, because many strategies don't work, fish can go with K2o to get into a deuce and stretch it out until the showdown, and your AQs turn into nothing, although you 3bet to go in, and raise on the streets, but you will get a fool with a couple of twos and your stack is halved, although the hand was stronger on the preflop.

Freeroll Passwords