How often do you play all-in preflop with AA pocket pair

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the scenario, obviously. But percentage-wise, you should always call all-ins with aces preflop. Your edge is just too good to fold. And besides, you dominate any other pocket pair 1:10, which is what your opponent should be holding.

Otherwise, raising or 3-betting consideably is a good option. You don't want people catching up to you cheaply.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I am short on stack I will go all in but play it safe if I have a normol
stack.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing all in with preflop depends mainly on the situation and stack because if you have less than 5 bb bad beats could happens more often as bigger stacks can take a chance or they have a good acm odds some times with hands like 78o where you put an opponent on ak aq that kind of hands can flop very well but sometimes you AA and no action mainly try to take good decisions the rest is variance that you can't do anything about...

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on position, if early, isolate . On the button probably not all-in.

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I go all-in with aces about one in four times. Usually if I do a pot sized bet that will get the folds. If not it usually ends up head's up. So, I am in a good situation either way.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It always depends on the situation in different ways !!! In my opinion and experience of the game, very often the reraising range looks stronger than the usual all-in !!!

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha and Texas Holdem are different games. AA needs to be able to play correctly in different situations.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello colleagues)))! I would like to know your opinion on the tactics of playing with a pocket pair of aces. Is it always going all-in, or is it better to try to hide the strength of your hand?
I recently played a freeroll at Poker Stars where I lost with pocket AAs. Moved all-in preflop. Some crazy answer with 78o hand. Of course he won with two pair.
On poker sites, these situations are quite common.
Much the same story happened when I played Omaha PLO cash tables. My AAs never won. I lost my entire bank.
PS In my opinion, live poker is much more honest. It seems to me that poker sites are a scam.
I will be brief. 7 dug for the final. First place - million, seventh - 50k. We are a chip leader. I pass with AA against my equal stack and wait for a better situation because there is no point in flipping a coin, it is too expensive (in this context, either all or nothing = 50/50 = coin = nothing depends on us). And you will call, fly out and tell everyone what kind of cooler and how unlucky you were for the final + you will probably regret your decision, because according to ICM your stack was worth more than 50k. I choose reliability and believe that it is better to play securely, rather than being lured by luck at the final tables that are important to us.

fang215874

fang215874

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know, maybe this is not quite right, but I always try to play this hand in allin. Then it is easier to re-enter the table.:cool:

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not very often. Only if effective stacks are less than 10BB.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Happily would go all-in as soon as possible because most players overplay hands like AK or TT.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freeroll you have to put all-in with aces preflop. Your opponents in freerolls call very loosely and if you only 3-bet with aces it is possible that 4 other players will call. Against 4 opponents you look old even with aces because your equity drops below to 50% with 4 opponents. If you go all-in straight away, you can get many opponents to fold and only one of them calls. It looks a little different in tournaments with buy-ins. Your opponents play tighter because nobody wants to waste their buy-in. If you still have enough chips, you can only raise at first. With tighter opponents, you thin out the field first. Still, you want to get some chips out with your aces and therefore you don't want all your opponents to fold.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If my chips are low, I go all-in, if I have a chance to play because my stack is big and the table is active, I'd love to trap it. The point is, based on my game, you can’t immediately know that Aces are in your hand.
Good luck.

T

Tidu84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always all in with AA. 99%. 1% I'm in BB and everyone folded.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the makeup of the players at the table but in general I will throw in a small to medium raise and if I catch a player I will either give them a large re raise or go all in.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In Omaha, the 78o is a lot better hand than AA. When playing Omaha the better hands are the ones that have two flush draws with two straight draws, one high or middle and one low. The more "bases" you have covered the better. Biggest reason is you have two extra cards, and so do your opponents. Pairs are less likely to hold up, even if you flop trips you would have to look for straights and flushes.

Hi mate, sorry I'm not much fan of Omaha but I guess he's talking about preflop shove hand, how come 78of is better than having AA in Omaha. Do you fold them if you face shove? Or do you call with holding suits and straight connectors (preflop)? Of course in a pot of 3 or more players, you can't play over pairs agressively unless you've set or Ace high flush draws. Other than that, those hands you're talking about is only good for family pots where you can call blind or small raises.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello colleagues)))! I would like to know your opinion on the tactics of playing with a pocket pair of aces. Is it always going all-in, or is it better to try to hide the strength of your hand?
I recently played a freeroll at Poker Stars where I lost with pocket AAs. Moved all-in preflop. Some crazy answer with 78o hand. Of course he won with two pair.
On poker sites, these situations are quite common.
Much the same story happened when I played Omaha PLO cash tables. My AAs never won. I lost my entire bank.
PS In my opinion, live poker is much more honest. It seems to me that poker sites are a scam.

Regardless of if you shoved or not - he was still going to hit his two pair. You probably would not have lost your entire stack - if you had not shoved.
So - you made the mistake of jamming pre - he made the mistake of calling with 8 high - he's a fish - you on the other hand over-estimated your one pair hand.

2nd point - online poker sites are a scam? Because they scammed you out of all of your - freeroll buy-in? lol
Thats funny right there.

There are at least 3 different topics in this post, so lets take them one by one:

Optimal preflop strategy with AA
In general AA should always be raised or reraised preflop, since it is after all the nuts, and putting in chips with the nuts is always +EV. However that does not mean, the optimal strategy is to move all-in, since it depends on, how many chips are in the pot already. If we start the hand with 100BB, and we are first to act, then open shipping for those 100BB is not a very good strategy, since good players are just going to fold, unless they have KK or the other AA.

Did you make a mistake because you got unlucky
You give an example, where you went all in with AA preflop, got called and lost. You then apparently see this as an indication, you should have played differently. But this is complete and utter nonsense. The goal in poker is not to win the hand, but to get the chips in with an edge. So you got the perfect result here, and you should be over the moon with excitement, that he called with 87o. There is sooooo much of this results oriented bullshit in poker forums. People whine like little babyes, whenever their aces got cracked or they suffered some other kind of bad beat. But they never worry or complain about the same hands, when they win them. Stop being one of those cry-babies and take the game and yourself serious.

Is online poker rigged
Short answer: No. If you fail to win online, its because, you are not taking it serious enough, which your post certainly indicate. Or you are not putting in enough volume. There is variance in poker, so nobody can except to sit down and play 5 tournaments and then always show a profit. Thats just not how the game works.

What he said - but mine was more eloquent. :D:D:D ;)

Just to be clear - everyone above saying they are jamming AA preflop always or high percentage of the time are probably not playing with their own money - probably only playing in freerolls. Always jamming pre AA is a huge mistake.
You would have saved at least half your stack in this one hand if you had the fortitude to play post flop.

Some people just suck at post flop so they compensate by shoving a lot preflop.

Last edited:
A

adjacentcape1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what is happening in the hand, but usually, when your stack is low, an all-in is a reasonable shove to try and double up, but if the stacks are deeper, a raise (or even a call when you think you might get squeezed) can be more valuable, since it hides the strength of your hand.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I normally open from x2bb to x2,5 bb when someone 3bet i put a 4 bet all in or call :) its depends.

If i got a less then 50 bb i always jam all in, when get a +100bb i mixing it 30/70 30 percent call 70 percent of times jam allin

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I am first to act I raise 4 or 5 bb. If there is already a raise I reraise or go all-in. But it seems I am not good when playing AA: My aces are cracked 66% of the time…:(

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I am first to act I raise 4 or 5 bb. If there is already a raise I reraise or go all-in. But it seems I am not good when playing AA: My aces are cracked 66% of the time…:(

Do you raise 4 or 5bb when you have pocket 55? What is your raise when you have A/J suited, or 7/6 suited? Point being - you have a bet sizing tell if you raise AA, or QQ+ a different size than you would any other hand.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you raise 4 or 5bb when you have pocket 55? What is your raise when you have A/J suited, or 7/6 suited? Point being - you have a bet sizing tell if you raise AA, or QQ+ a different size than you would any other hand.

Ok. Have a break and take a coffee ;)