How do you play when you're chip leader ?

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I'm chip leader I usually open a wider range of hands, I try to open two hands per orbit of the table.
logically when I get a 3-bet and I have no game in my hands I fold, but when I have game in my hands I play more aggressively going to a 4-bet putting maximum pressure on the deep stacked players.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I'm chip leader I usually open a wider range of hands, I try to open two hands per orbit of the table.
logically when I get a 3-bet and I have no game in my hands I fold, but when I have game in my hands I play more aggressively going to a 4-bet putting maximum pressure on the deep stacked players.

Thank you for posting.

When deep stacked we can do as you state above but also we can play post flop more often. this means raising with hands like 96s and calling a 3 bet OOP to hit or steal the pot. We can put pressure on players post flop for their stacks as well as preflop.

Hope this helps
:):)

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
When I am the chip leader in a tournament I try to play a little more aggressively but without exaggerating, and everything will depend on the rest of the players that are at my table and the reading I have of them, the truth is that I do not play in a specific way , it can vary by the readings and how is my game.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
When I am a chipleader, I play with the same strategy, and of course I can play more comfortable, and bluff more!

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

The biggest mistake a player makes when he accumulates a lot of chips at the beginning of the tournament is thinking that these chips will never run out, so he starts playing a lot of speculative hands. This is usually the profile of the beginner player, and they almost always fall out of the tournament, even before they make the money. I see this happen mainly in freerolls, but who am I to criticize the way everyone plays, the important thing is to be happy. Good luck to everyone at the tables.:)

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on type of players in the table. If they are tight, i play little bit looser and if they are loose players i 3 bet more.

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to play close to GTO strategy as possible (best of my ability)

If the tournament really deep i start to consider ICM so i would avoid playing huge pots vs other big stacks without very strong hands

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to wait more for the opponents to kick each other out of the table and enter only with a good card. I don't risk my stack and go all-in with a mediocre card.

L

Laddys

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm the chip leader, I can finally relax. Show fewer hands as I have a good stack of chips to wait for a good hand. I don’t see any point in opening more hands and putting pressure on opponents being the chip leader, because there will definitely be someone fearless at the table and call my bet (such is the chance to quickly drain the stack).

bilva1984

bilva1984

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

in my case I try to put pressure on others and remain the leader in chips

M

manIk5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the same way that got me the chip lead! Why change?

Same here . I really don't care about chips or being chip leader , I just focus on playing good and solid poker ;)

gl

R

r7kraus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pressure on the table

when I'm chip leader I play more aggressively like you

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a lot of hands it doesn't matter if they are low hands, many times you can hit a straight, for example with a hand like 45 you can flop like 236

PuletJelek

PuletJelek

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing aggressively, putting pressure to anyone Especially tight player...

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Mean and aggressive. And more often than not it works out in my favor.

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main advantage of the chip leader is his stack. Accordingly, it should not be loaded into marginal hands, but it is better to play less dispersion, play small pots in relation to the stack. Well, at the beginning of the tournament, opponents have little to lose, so trying to put pressure on someone with a stack will not work. But on the bubble and in the late stage, it is naturally worth increasing the pressure, because the opponents already have something to lose.

P

Pleshe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that I can play a little too aggressive after accumulating such stack size and get a little too comfortable. Those chips can go away really easily.

I like to consider the fact that I look intimidating to short stacked people and use that to my advantage as much as possible.

Overall, you should definitely assert yourself to keep dominating, but don't get cocky and become too wide :)

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play like a boss. Bullying in the name of...

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play more hands an more aggressive than usual.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well it depends on how deep i'm in the MTT if it's too early and too deep it won't affect my play. But i try to put pressure around the bubble a'd on the final table..

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No difference. I don't suddenly turn reckless or arrogant. You don't need to be a bully to become chip leader.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm the chip leader, I just go about my business for an hour, then I return to the game when the stack is already average and I do everything to become the chip leader again))) And in tournaments with knockouts, I play very aggressively when the stack is big.

D

Decades

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I then play a bit more aggressively in phases and with more risk, but not recklessly. But then I can play higher or bluff from a good position. In the end, it's the healthy mix.