How do you play when you're chip leader ?

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I'm chip leader I usually open a wider range of hands, I try to open two hands per orbit of the table.
logically when I get a 3-bet and I have no game in my hands I fold, but when I have game in my hands I play more aggressively going to a 4-bet putting maximum pressure on the deep stacked players.
Secret lol. It all depends I will play many ways tight and wait tight then wait for big hands and play aggressive, play aggressive right all the time bluff lots. No one set way whatever is working works, if I start getting called lots switch it up

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Moderately agressive I would say. Not the monkey mode but not too tight either. I think it comes with experience to feel the right spots to pressure and when to slow down.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
a bit more aggressive than usual and a bit more loose

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depending on which stage of the tournament you are the chip leader, in the early stages it has less value than in the later stages. for weak players , your chip leadership does not matter at all, for players with a short stack, too, they want to double and they don't care if you have an average stack or a high one, keep an eye on the average stack of the tournament, the chips won have less value than the ones lost with each stack growth
if you have 100 thousand and the average stack is 50 thousand then in a 50% to 50% hand, making a call for 40-50 thousand is a negative action, doing a call for smaller chips is necessary at least to show the table that you are playing loose and do not need to bluff you.

I usually do not change anything in my game, I play the way I played, I do not try to open wide or become aggressive opening a wide range

Ketienne

Ketienne

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to wait for the right spots, play little more aggressively but unfortunately I am often too impatient and then it quickly backfires.

It would probably be best to just keep his match plan, he didn't make you the chipleader for nothing ...

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play smart like I always try to. Pounce on weakness. Don't be thinking you're gonna start hitting gut shots and open enders, river flushes and boats. Play the way of what got you the chip lead.

Spielkind

Spielkind

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play ranges listed to your Position-lots are online-high pressure with top cards--tight and controlled-- all promoted Hands of Pros are from the Past, so play in your time, on your table, now! Good Luck

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Having the chip lead allows more many options including creativity and applying maximum pressure. Always adapting to the table dynamics, chip stacks and shifting gears as the tournament progresses.

M1n1GuN777

M1n1GuN777

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In this case, I am for an aggressive game. I'm also starting to bluff more often, especially against players with very small stacks. Quite often it doesn't end well. Most likely, this is due to the psychology of perception, because in life, having more money, you begin to allow yourself more. Thank you for a good reason to think about it.

M

melbru88888

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play aggressive i made the best experience by playing so

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when I'm the chip leader, I use the same tactic as Leandro6803, I get into few hands, but when I participate I bet 5BB up, if they raise I'll 3-bet back, but I only do that with at least one Ace in my hand.

R

Raisindepth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It kind of depends really but I would see few more flops play some lower connectors and or suits. Chase a little more but not risking more then i did to get it. Not start flipping, calling big and stick too long.
It depends on table, experience, position and level. On the bubble I'd abuse a bit more. But at the beginning Levels I'd not really look for trouble much.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The same as I did before?...?..

You become the Chip Leader by having the highest EV+ /minute in the MTT

you maintain that EV+/min edge
You stay as Chip Leader

by doing whatever it was that got you that EV again and again

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also play looser and more aggressively. That works best in fast tournaments, but in regular ones, where the stakes are raised slower, I should maybe be a bit more patient. Too often have I lost a big stack quicker than I won it.

ayouboumy

ayouboumy

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks all for you charing with as your experiences it's very helpful

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I am the chip leader in a tournament I try analyze the table and play more aggressively. I think that is important play more hands but play with patience. Only sometimes I am the chip leader 😂

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
when I'm chip leader I usually open a wider range of hands, I try to open two hands per orbit of the table.
logically when I get a 3-bet and I have no game in my hands I fold, but when I have game in my hands I play more aggressively going to a 4-bet putting maximum pressure on the deep stacked players.
I make a 3 bet if someone agrees, then on a long bistantion I start to choke him with bets, raising it to the river

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hello:)
For me, I try to keep the same level and the way I play, especially in slow tournaments ;), yes you can dominate the table sometimes and you can lose your chips quickly too ;)

A

Ansley25

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm the chip leader I play more aggressively and make more bluff...

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When I'm one of the chip leaders, I have to be more careful because of bad beats.
Just recently I was put all in by a lesser hand, I had AA he had JJ. And he got lucky and hit a set of jacks.
I lost 97% of my stack and did not make it to the money.
Bad beats happen a lot nearing the bubble.

T

tawanagates

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
As the chip leader, I adopt an aggressive strategy by widening my hand range, typically opening two hands per orbit. In the face of a 3-bet with a weak hand, I fold; however, with a strong hand, I escalate the aggression, opting for a 4-bet to apply maximum pressure on deep-stacked opponents.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, Everybody! By my private opinion, if You are chip leader, necessary, as more quickly, to finish the tournament in your benefit:
this means, to need more press on the opponents your stack, because situation for the table can to change accidently,
because "It's a Poker, Baby!"

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play loose and aggressively

MackemMan

MackemMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If it's early in a tourney I tend to play the same way but in the latter stages with a big chip count I tend to play a lot looser.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi :)
I also play more aggressively when I'm the chip leader, but at the same time, I definitely won't play with junk :) ....... The fact is that I became the chip leader thanks to my own play, so it's logical that I I just have to keep doing what I was doing, the only difference is a little more aggression :)
Good luck.