nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi,im beginer,some tips,thanks

MTT is a variance discipline, so players should stick to a tight bankroll strategy with 80 or more buy-ins. For example, with a $ 1,000 bankroll, you shouldn't play tournaments that are more expensive than $ 1-5. At the same time, beginners can improve their skills without investing a dime in the game. We are talking about freerolls that give you the opportunity to win real cash prizes without the slightest risk.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I know this is a few weeks old but here it goes.

For me - in summary to be a winning tournament player you have to be dedicated, passionate, have a hard work ethic, be mentally strong (have faith), use good bankroll management, and most of all you have to use your head.

To become a winning tournament player there are certain tools you will need to do so - if you are not willing to invest in yourself with the costs of these tools than you simply do not take your poker game seriously and there is no point in reading any further. There are tons of tools and training sites to help you out there - but there are 2 tools (in my opinion) that are vital to your growth and success as an MTT player.

1 - poker tracker 4 : this program will allow you to log hand histories for later review to help you identify and fix leaks in your game and track your progress as a player. The HUD function is just a bonus for me - I recommend not even using the HUD at first just so you don't get caught up in all the stats and instead you rely on your knowledge of the game to navigate spots and make decisions. I didn't use the HUD for 2 years and I think it was helpful for me to establish that mental foundation before I dove into using player stats to assist me with decisions. So again - this is the number one tool that will help you grow as a player.

2 - ICMizer : this program is a subscription based model that will tell you whether to call off or shove in certain situations via NASH based game ranges. Ranges are fully adjustable and once you learn to use this program and implement what it will teach you - it will make you money back within the first year of purchase. Trust me, players are missing tons of call offs and shoves playing way too tight and leaving tons of $$ on the table. I use the basic version as I don't see the added benefit in the "coaching" features of the program since I already pay for coaching.

So I would suggest you buy these programs - soak up all the content you can to formulated a good solid basic strategy, and when time comes - invest in a training site or personal coaching to move onto the next steps. This should be pretty far down the road, but eventually you will hit a wall and if you want to become really good at the mid stakes poker game, you will either need a coach or a solver like PIO since all the crushers at these levels are using these advanced tools.

Secondly elaborating on my basis of what you need - a hard work ethic. Poker is not easy and is forever changing - to gain an edge and keep that edge will require you to constantly work and study. I dedicate at LEAST 2 days a week, 3-4 hours per day to study poker. More than enough I study 3 and 4 days a week. Lots of good online grinders will study more than they play. It also helps to find and join a group of like minded players to study with via programs like Skype or Zoom. Having extra points of view whether right or wrong can make a big difference in how you think about and break down a hand.

Next on the list combines dedication and passion also touching on the mental game of poker. Again, poker is hard - and when it comes to tournament poker, you are going to lose waaaay more than you are going to win, so get used to that. Get used to bad variance and bad beats on the daily basis, these are part of the game and they are going to happen - don't focus on the outcome of a single hand - but rather whether or not you played the hand well and if the spot was profitable or not. Poker is all about the long term, its not about what happens when your AAs lose to 77s -- there is nothing to learn from bad beats. Shake them off and move on.

You need to have passion for this game in order to succeed at it -- that being said the reality of tournament poker is since you are going to lose most of the time due to normal variance you need to put in sufficient volume to help you combat those effects -- this means playing a MINIMUM of 100-125 games per month. It's just math. If you use proper bankroll management and allow yourself 100-150 buy ins for the stake you are playing - you will be fine. That kind of grind takes some serious dedication. I work a full time job 5 days a week, 40-50 hours every week and still play 125-150 games per month on average - so it can be done if you are willing to go the distance to accomplish your goal.

Lastly, just use your head. Play smart, play good strategies and solid poker and you will be fine. If you are tilting too much, shut the grind down, walk away and work on your mental game. Poker isn't isn't anywhere anytime soon. Most importantly, use good game selection - what does this mean? Well in a nutshell, tournaments with large fields are higher variance and much harder to win than tournaments with smaller fields. For example::

Every Sunday ACR runs a $6.60/$25k GTD tournament and it always has 3000 entries in the field...even for the best players this is a notoriously hard tournament to win because of the variance involved in such a massive field - so don't go blowing multiple buy ins chasing the dream. Your money would be better spent in a $6.60/$2K GTD with about 600 entries in the field and $600‐$800 up top.

Another example is the $2.75/$2500 GTD on ACR - first place is $350 and generally there's something like 1000 entries in the field - you could play the $3.30 / $1500 GTD and face 400 entries for a first place prize of about $325.

People always get drawn to the biggest prize pools with the smallest buy ins and while that's all well and good - the more entries in the field the harder the tournament is to win - the summary is find the smaller field tournaments in your buy in range that offer decent payouts and crush them. You will see a much better ROI using good game selection than you will chasing the dream of larger prize pools.

I hope this all makes sense and it's helpful. Thanks for reading.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Play play play play play play and play some more! Study study study study and then play play some more. After a few thousand tournaments you will know how to be good!

Subel007

Subel007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early stages play only with premium hands
Middle playing tight-aggressive
Last stage depends on stake
I consider that the main thing is patience

Ssssssnakes

Ssssssnakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In normal tournaments with nine seat tables and slow/normal blind increases, you can sit out the first 20 minutes. This will lose you roughly 15% of your chips. Then sit-in again and play until you reach the average chip stack again. After that you sit out again, until you're 15% below average again.

It takes a long time in a tournament, until you have to watch out for you chips to run out during a sit-out. Indicators are:
- the bubble is near
- the number of players reaches the low two digits which leads to tables with less than nine players
- the blind, big blind plus nine times the ante reach 15% of your chip stack

Unless you're unlucky, this will get you at least through the first hour of a tournament. At a later point then you have to become more aggressive and allow some risk to enter your game play.

dorivaldojr

dorivaldojr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play it very calmly and don't be discouraged by bads

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Such great info in this thread. Position is power. Learning what is possible with the right position at the table is important. How to isolate your range against fewer hands. Heads up play.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Practice- Study-Practice. Although studying is a bit boring (to me anyway), its really important. 1/3 of your time would be optimal.

Raphael Zabel

Raphael Zabel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of study, persistence, patience and practice. Adapt over time, changing what is not working and maintaining knowledge that has already been consolidated.

A

ALVY_MARRAS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all learning the basics, then doing tactics and trying to study a good game that would allow me to win in most hands to get a title. Through experience, learning from every mistake and avoiding doing the same. ¨Learning something new every day¨

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is very hard to understand and get to this! The element of luck is very important! everyone reads the general rules and recommendations and tries to follow them - but ..... not everyone has good results

TCHUCO2005

TCHUCO2005

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's hard to play a good game, do good readings without having a little luck, sometimes 90% against 10% and we lose, patience game is game.

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No.1 rule to being a great MTT player:

Hold when it matters ;)

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
4 tips for your tournament career:

1.) Play tight and aggressive. Tight means you don't play as hard as you can.
There are some hands that look good but aren't, for example King-Jack.
After the flop, you don't need to hold onto every pair. Knowing when to be beaten or the stakes are excessively high can save you a lot of money. Aggressive means you get the most out of your strong hands. Bet big if you have a strong hand and don't try to slowplay.

2.) Play pocket pairs. Poket Pairs can be a low-stakes opportunity to dust off big pots.When one or more players are already in a hand, a call can be very profitable. You speculate to hit a puncture. So you can win a lot of chips.

3.) A limp is not an option. No Limit lives off aggressive play. You must raise or fold.

4.) Make continuation bets If you raised preflop and one or two players called your raise, you should bet half the pot on the flop. This move is called a continuation bet.

A real class, read and reread, when you have it fixed in your head, study the variations of it.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't know. I've won a lot of freerolls. But in tournaments for money I was able to win only the 3rd place on super turbo 2.2 dollars on parimatch poker- a win of $ 800 and that was in 2,008. Then, at most recently, there was a 10th place on the 2.2 Bounty Builder on pokerstars. The advice is that patience and practice are required, the more you play, the higher the chance that you will be able to go somewhere far, the main thing is not to miss your chance and think why does the ooponent suddenly go Allin, what does he have? Maybe it's a hidden set, is he bluffing? I've done this before, like, no, then learn how to make a painful fold with the loss of chips, but with the continuation of the fight in the tournament. I haven't been able to do this for many years yet, so I fly out in a seemingly good position with an excellent hand.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

A coaching for tilt, playing a lot of tournaments and studies

"Knowing how to win the most with the best hand; and lose the least with the worst"

H

hcuervo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
With a lot of money, patience and studies:D

razarach_xD

razarach_xD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have "serious" ups and downs at the moment so I'll skip the advice and just .. welcome you !

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best and shortest option is to take a coach

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think discipliine and patience are the keys to a successful tournament and of course, all the luck in the world.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My funny (joke) answer: You fold preflop. :D
That's the standard answer when someone posts a hand where they got a bad beat and they ask "How could I have played this differently?" Answer: Fold pre. LOL

My serious answer: You don't care about money or how you finish, that's how you become successful. You don't worry about bad beats or coolers, and yes, you fold most hands preflop. :) Quite simply, you succeed in tournaments by playing better hands than your opponents, but you have to realize that most tournaments, you still won't win anything. You'll wait hours to get AA and either you'll lose to someone who somehow decided it was a good time to play their 85o hand against you, or else you will win the hand but because you folded for the last hour straight, even winning that pot doesn't give you enough chips to fold for another hour straight. That's tournament poker! But I'm a big believer that "tight is right" and eventually you will play a tournament such as Darvin Moon when he finished 2nd in the wsop Main Event back in 2009 - Darvin was a novice but somehow he cashed for 5 million dollars after qualifying into the tournament via a 130 dollar satellite. As I recall, Darvin said he picked up AA about 25 times over the 7-day tournament and he won almost every all-in with them. Just a phenomenal run of luck, basically... but that's how you succeed at tournaments - you lose for years straight, but you go on a "sun run" for one short stretch and win back more than all those losses. Quite honestly, most don't have the time or the patience, and they either give up or else they go broke trying. Tournament poker is a hard way to make a good living, unless you're just not lucky and then its a terrible way to make no living at all. LOL My opinions obv. Some seem to have mastered tournaments and they don't play tight at all, they play super aggressive and it seems to work for them... but I've never figured out how to do that. I just stopped caring about my results, and that's when I usually score a fine result. Can't explain it more than that, but there it is, for whatever its worth. :cool:

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi buddy, I believe it requires more patience than other types of games because normally you'll dive into 6 hours long grind. If you want to improve your game then there's certain free contents about tourney strategies which you can find it either here or youtube. I'd recommend you to check out profesional's game and watch how they play each hands or positions.

cindymagaly

cindymagaly

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a professional nor do I pretend to be, maybe being a poker player with enough experience, yes, but getting to bet a lot of money is not my goal in itself, for me it is a very fun hobby, but if you want some tips, study a lot the ways of playing that there are too many variants, analyze your rivals and learn how they play and how much they risk, learn the positions of a table where and when to bet heavily and why, in addition to learning to cheat your rivals.