how do you become a good tournament poker player

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing against better players will make you better,,,as well as watching better players. :captain:

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience.
Start with micro buy ins, when you can beat the micros, go to the low buy ins ...
Winning a micro MTT doesnt mean that you are ready to the next buy-ins, so be careful
There is a lot of Micro MTTs strategy in the forum. I recommend in the first 1 hour for waiting premium hands. At this stage of the Tournament there is a lot of bad players opening any shit, calling everything with any pair (be careful with the bluffs). After 1-2h of tournament those player are already out. Then you can start stealling blinds, etc
I was playing 4.4 bounty yesterday. Then a new player came to my table, he was going all in every 4 hands he played, so i though: he are shoving ane Ax, KQ, pocketpair, and another marginal hands. I waited for a good hand (QQ in this case) and knocked he out of the tournament. He had JTs :D
As our friend said, playing against better players and watching better players will help two.
For exemple:

Its fun to watch two, and its commented.
Its final table, ofcourse its different for early stages, etc.

Last edited:
Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4 tips for your tournament career:

1.) Play tight and aggressive.Tight means that you don't play everything you can get your hands on.
There are some hands who look good, but they are still not, for example King-Jack.
After the flop, you don't have to cling to every pair. Knowing when to be beaten or the stakes are unreasonably high and can save you a lot of money. Aggressive means that you get the most out of your strong hands. Bet big if you have your strong hand and don't try slowplay.

2.) Play pocket pairs. Poket Pairs can be a low stakes opportunity dust off big pots. When one or more players are already in a hand a call can be very profitable. You speculate to hit a drilling. Then you can often win a lot of chips.

3.) Limping is not an option. No Limit lives from aggressive play. You should raise or fold.

4.) Place continuation bets If you raised pre-flop and a player or two called your raise, you should bet the half pot on the flop. This move is called a continuation bet.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
4 tips for your tournament career:

4.) Place continuation bets If you raised pre-flop and a player or two called your raise, you should bet the half pot on the flop. This move is called a continuation bet.

Continuation bets should not be made just because you were the preflop raiser. The texture of the board and the tendencies of your opponents make a difference. Evaluate the flop and decide whether a cbet is the correct play. Sometimes you have to check a wet board (flush and straight possibilities) that might connect more with your opponents' hand than your own hand.

Check those videos out that I linked in my other post.

S

ShawanG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a beginner playing Tight Is Right.
At this level there will lots of maniacs playing. Try picking them up when you have a good hand.

L

luck_21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
не умею писать сообщения

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know, it's probably a vocation to be the best.Many players with many years of experience of the game did not become them.The only advice is to devote yourself completely to the game to discover all its facets to feel impulsive to get into it, so to speak.Training and more training.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play first at small buy-in tournaments, then gradually move on to big bets.

H

hidayat1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to play a lot to get a lot of experience, you also know the poker software, the hand and the opponents, because a lot of people bluff a lot and it doesn't hurt to be confident and in the picture or with the rules :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get familiar and confident with short stack play. Every tournament no matter how well you do you will eventually be short stacked. If you can be a better short stack player than your opponents you might be profitable from just that alone at the micro level. Study push fold charts and know pay attention to your opponents how wide they open so you have a good idea of what your re jam range should be and also calling others all ins.

Re jamming is very important when you get to 15-20 BBs. If you have a strong hand and someone in front makes a raise (especially non nits) then you should not be calling that raise but you should be jamming over them. It will give you a lot of fold equity depending on the opponent and if your opponents call too light then you will be getting it in good most of the time and doubling up bringing you back to a playable 35BB ish stack.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If you are starting and you really do not know much, read, study a little, be very patient, learn to recognize and correct the mistakes you make when you are playing, ask for advice or help if you need it, start playing micro and sng tournaments, learn to control your bankroll, do not try to play tournaments or sng for which you are not ready yet

S

sttttttup75

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Every game i Learn something new...and I Learn from my mistakes GOOD LUCK [emoji106]

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like many others mentioned play freerolls ideally to gain experience, buy in to small sit n go’s to get a feel of play. Most importantly in tournament play patience is key to becoming a good tournament player.

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the key
Playing sng its good to pratice the MTTs stages two

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First fix the holes in your game. The course on here is a good start. Then get a coach to learn how to play. Can't afford a coach? Find some winning players who stream games and spend the time to learn.

There really isn't a shortcut starting. The course of a tournament changes several times and you have to know when and how to adjust.

This is why there are so many early, late, bubble, ect questions here.

I don't know of a way to learn that except to watch a good player play. I'm not referring to 10 minutes, an extended sample.
Same goes with a coach, having someone telling you what you are doing wrong and what you should be doing is many times the fastest, cheapest way to get good.

L

luck_21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
хочется больше советов начинающим пользоватем чата

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi,im beginer,some tips,thanks

1.You play a lot to practice. 2.Patience! 3.Don't just play with the best hands. Suited cards close to each other are valuable if you can watch the flop cheaply. 4.Your raise should be such, that you usually have 1-2 opponents left in the game.5.watch videos and read about the game. positions, betsize, from different stages of a tournament, bankroll managemant ... after that you will soon compete in freerolls and low limits. GL!

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi) no problem. You have to prepare mentally for the game) When you're ready to lose it's part of winning :) Seriously, the main thing is to have plan on for the game, for each stage of the tournament. You have to build the game, from yourself. There are several stages of the tournament, the initial, middle, final stage and of course the final table. For each stage, you need to have a strategy and try to implement it. It is very important to combine the strategy of the game with the opponents at the table, to do this, carefully study the opponent, this is very important, very often your inattention allows you to make very stupid mistakes at the table.

If we talk about your cards, it is a tool and its choice is just as important, but does not affect your game as much as your mistakes, which often happen due to underestimation of the opponent or your own inattention at the table when you make very stupid bets. Of course, you should not play with very bad cards, but medium hands are worth playing, you can not wait for only a premium card ;)

You can talk a lot about how to become the best, but I think these tips should help you ;)

O

Ofarah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of studying mainly: open ranges, position, bet sizing, post flop strategy, etc

You also need to play heavy volume as the variance is extreme in MTTs. Use the 100x buy in rule ($200 bankroll =$2 buy ins).

Most importantly run good ��

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) If you have a 125$ bankroll, you should play the 109$ Sunday Million. There is no way, this can go wrong, and you deserve it.

2) You are the best player in the world, so if you lose, blame the software or the other players.

3) If you just lost a big pot, then move all-in the next hand with whatever two cards, you are dealt, so you can win your chips back.

4) Alcohol enhance your performance at the poker table.

5) Never stop playing, unless you are up for the day.

These are the most important, I think :D:D:D

4e kogo1

4e kogo1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

hi, there are basics that will improve your skills, let's move on to them. 1) This is a distance,you need to play a lot of tournaments, a lot, so you will understand where you are sagging and where you are doing well(working on mistakes) 2)A bankroll game, preferably 300 bytes, if it is a microlimit! these basics will be enough to get you started)