how do you become a good tournament poker player

J

jason2626

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice and experience and learning from your mistakes in the way you playing certain tournament is key. Just saying more you play in them better your get

PockerGod

PockerGod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
To be good at MTT's you need a lot of volume and to be aggressive. Have a high won $ when saw flop stat. You need a HUD so that you can play a highly exploitive strategy. The only GTO you need is PF.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning the right opening ranges for different positions and stack sizes really helped me as well as studying push/fold decisions with icmizer. GL!

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To become a good tournament player you need to have good patience to play at least a few hours of a tournament, good playing skills with different stacks and also keep an eye on the players at the table.

J

jumboscampi

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tournaments

i always remind myself that it's longevity, not a large bankroll that matters most.

P

pockerman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, the most important thing is patience, and the ability to control recklessness, courses, or videos with the basics of poker also help, first of all, and if he wants to continue, well, then you already need to study literature about poker, the main tips have already been written here earlier, I see no point in repeating itself. But as a rule, everything will come over time. More practice and experience. And then everything will work out!

F

FlushKings311

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker for Life

Patience and Persistance

Z

zapadlol

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
here it is not possible to become!Muhahaha

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Нужно набраться терпения и хорошо знать, на что идешь, без поспешных решений.
Hello! :ciao:
I sent you a private message with the rules of the forum and a topic where you can communicate in your native language.
Your messages do not comply with the rules of the forum and the administration will delete them.
It is also clarified that yes - everyone sees your messages, but since they are not written in English, they are not answered and soon they are removed from the forum as inappropriate.
Additionally, I inform you that inappropriate messages are not included in your message statistics.
I will duplicate it in Russian:
Здравствуйте!
Я отправил вам личное сообщение с правилами форума и темой, в которой вы можете общаться на своем родном языке.
Ваши сообщения не соответствуют правилам форума, и администрация удалит их.
Также уточню, что да - все видят ваши сообщения, но так как они написаны не на английском языке, на них не отвечают и вскоре они удаляются с форума как неуместные.
Дополнительно сообщаю, что несоответствующие сообщения не идут в вашу статистику сообщений.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For a tournament player, it is important to have a game plan, constant work on oneself, analysis of one's hands, development of the ability to read opponents' opening ranges.

K

KITAYAWA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments can be compared to long-distance running. And there the main thing is endurance and a measured waste of strength. That is, when playing tournaments, we must first of all control our stack and avoid sharp jumps +/-.

S

Spheremaster

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I think You should watch best poker players
good luck

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That moment when you see so much advice here in the comments from players who hardly know how to play poker themselves. Always making stupid standard mistakes when playing freerolls Cardschat/ Hahaha

H

Holdem Tycoon

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Uplifting outlook, nice read.

My funny (joke) answer: You fold preflop. :D
That's the standard answer when someone posts a hand where they got a bad beat and they ask "How could I have played this differently?" Answer: Fold pre. LOL

My serious answer: You don't care about money or how you finish, that's how you become successful. You don't worry about bad beats or coolers, and yes, you fold most hands preflop. :) Quite simply, you succeed in tournaments by playing better hands than your opponents, but you have to realize that most tournaments, you still won't win anything. You'll wait hours to get AA and either you'll lose to someone who somehow decided it was a good time to play their 85o hand against you, or else you will win the hand but because you folded for the last hour straight, even winning that pot doesn't give you enough chips to fold for another hour straight. That's tournament poker! But I'm a big believer that "tight is right" and eventually you will play a tournament such as Darvin Moon when he finished 2nd in the WSOP Main Event back in 2009 - Darvin was a novice but somehow he cashed for 5 million dollars after qualifying into the tournament via a 130 dollar satellite. As I recall, Darvin said he picked up AA about 25 times over the 7-day tournament and he won almost every all-in with them. Just a phenomenal run of luck, basically... but that's how you succeed at tournaments - you lose for years straight, but you go on a "sun run" for one short stretch and win back more than all those losses. Quite honestly, most don't have the time or the patience, and they either give up or else they go broke trying. Tournament poker is a hard way to make a good living, unless you're just not lucky and then its a terrible way to make no living at all. LOL My opinions obv. Some seem to have mastered tournaments and they don't play tight at all, they play super aggressive and it seems to work for them... but I've never figured out how to do that. I just stopped caring about my results, and that's when I usually score a fine result. Can't explain it more than that, but there it is, for whatever its worth. :cool:

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the CardsChat freerolls. I went to the leaderboard and wrote down the top money leader players. Go to their profile and get their names on ACR, Betonline, SB etc. When I'm in a game with these players I mark them and watch them play. Have a goal to finish ahead of them and observe. By observing the top money winners ( these cats know what is going on) and playing ABC poker to start with will get you comfortable. Poker Tracker 4 helps a lot. The skies the limit with what you can do with it.

Check out Katie and Colin on the 30 day course. I've been watching those and learned a lot. That Colin is lucky to have Katie, she's the brains of the outfit. Seriously Katie presents her material in a good way with a good voice and is easy to follow.
Have Fun. If it ain't fun ,it ain't worth doing.

E

effece

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
study, perseverance, patience, more study and a lot of discipline. And something that I think is very important is learning to eliminate mental noise, the ability to concentrate in tournaments is essential, you must spend many hours and if you can't stop thinking about certain things, distraction is fatal.