Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
usually when I come with KK AA QQ I play quite aggressive for the villain to know that I have a top pair!

fabiancampos

fabiancampos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tight agressive 10's or better.. but u have to be prudent after flop and see who's your opponent.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
OP, c-betting is correct, but it is wrong to raise when opponent reraises your c-bet, because you will be valuebetting yourself. Villain can have two pairs and sets, and you are crushed. That is a downside of playing OOP, so just call a reraise and hope villain won't hit his cards.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
defend them with technique, patience, and without pride, if you are with KK, and in Flop have A and your opponent bet strong. control the pot, and think well on the river before paying an all in ..

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always tend to fold the chips a little, regardless of the cards on the table, my next move depends

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the largest leaks in my game is when I open with a decent pair (1010 or better) and the flop comes 3 under cards with 2 being suited. Its common today for folks to call opening raises with lower suited connectors and gappers. These flops allow for all kinds of opportunity with straights and flush draws plus they also can hit 2 pair or the dreaded set. So I make the cbet 2/3 pot trying to get value for the over pair and defend vs the drawing hands. Often at this time the villain will re-raise the looking to get both streets of the draw for cheap. Once I know their image and feel fairly good the pair is ahead I 4 bet to make them pay. Maybe this is the error but anyway often the chips get all in and they hit the draw. I go busto. So any suggestions how to defend the overpair to a flop of undercards containing 2 of a suit?

General Statement

It's important to lay off the gas pedal when boards become wet. All the money put in preflop and on the flop is wasted when a third suit comes on the turn or the board pairs.

On the flip side, you must keep pressure on the opponents and force them to pay for the draw.

It takes practice to keep the pot small while still getting appropriate value for the hand. Keep in mind all of this is relative and this type of situation could have a unique set of circumstances that could change the decision in question.

"Remember the Nuts"

Don't forget to keep your relative hand strength in mind in these situations on later streets. I've seen players call on rivers with four of a suit on board just because they fell in love with the hand preflop. Know when to release a hand, if it's not worth it. Just another reason to keep the pot small on earlier streets, it makes the bad river "position" easier to fold.

"Raise Sizing"

Analyze the preflop raise sizing in your game. You may find that increasing the preflop raise slightly can have a big impact on the flow of the game for you and help reduce the amount of callers in general. Don't go overboard, but reducing the players in the hand is usually a good thing. (3.5x-4x)

"10 10 or Better"

There's a big difference between a pair of tens and pocket aces. Obviously each situation is unique but don't undervalue the larger pocket pairs as one of the very best situations to be in is "set over set" situations with larger pairs.

"Find Your Groove"

A good piece of advice is to constantly try to find the best version of your game by making small improvements and analyzing the results. Don't be afraid to try new things. I have found out interesting things simply by attempting new styles of play in different situations. Don't get stuck in a rut, find your groove.

If you have any questions or want to chat, feel free to PM me.

P

PotPlucker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you, great points made there. Have actually been doing much of what you coach and having some great results.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on position-if first, I usually small bet and see what else is out there. If later and no one over bets, I bet heavy.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We won in poker with three of a kind or rather, I'm learning to drop AA on a board like that. That is my opinion.

O

Orman Nelson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you feel like you are ahead and playing against a draw, the worst thing you can do is let these draws in cheap. The exception is when they have an open-ended or double gut-shot with a flush draw. If the board creates a fear of that then you could probably slow down on the flop and get it in on the turn if the potential draws miss. If they want to get all in with you on a flush or straight draw (not both) they have the larger leak in their game .

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good rerase should do the job =)
But You should mind the stage of the tournament.
In deeps stackes hands like 67s could be much better than you avarage good -old pair. On the other hand the shalower the stacks the higher EV is of a simple pair.
Plus mind the leaks of other ops. Some tells like a min rriase are yousually an indicator of of a monster.
+ Just dont overplay hands. Over pair is not 'THA_NUTZ' It's stong, it will bring you most money in the long run but if you have a board [f]678s>[t]6789s know to fold your AA. It will save you money after all =)

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my many cases, it's unrealistic)) After the flop, you understand what needs to fit, and someone as usual has responded to you from AK

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to make them pay to see the next card, you did what was right. The odds of hitting the flush or a straight after the flop is less than 15% I think. Take it as a bad beat and don't let ruin your poker game.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing for the long run you ALWAYS want the people to call with lower percentages because you will end up a winner in the long run as long as you are playing with what your bankroll will permit. If you are playing above the stakes your bankroll will comfortably allow you will always be a losing player because you will not have a chance to build back up if you get unlucky. Keep playing the way you are and realize a lot of people chase more than they should and that is a good thing when you are ahead.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
I defend them Pre Flop with a Tribet or higher, after the Flop, depending on the cards I will not defend a lossing pair! :flute:

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are in a tournament format the correct move is to call diffuse the flop. Make them pay on the turn. If they are likely to hit their draw you need not put in all the chips on the flop remember you are trying to survive.

If you are in a cash game then do not worry about it you will win in the long run.

I

Ivaldo de Araujo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The position on table is really important, but is important be aggressive on flop if u'r doing a continuation bet, if is not the case, i rather be on defensive and pray for a three of a kind.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A pair of Aces is Fold, never safer a great pair of Aces, especially if a Villain is involved in the hand, a pair of Aces is very weak in poker, a pair of Aces loses to either pair. I want three of a kind or better!

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Allin is not an option, because on small tournaments he is often answered and you just go to the ace for example

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one of the most controversial subject, lose with big pairs for bad players.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you, great points made there. Have actually been doing much of what you coach and having some great results.

You're welcome :) I'm glad you've been able to implement some positive change to your game.

DuffMcGruff

DuffMcGruff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the largest leaks in my game is when I open with a decent pair (1010 or better) and the flop comes 3 under cards with 2 being suited. Its common today for folks to call opening raises with lower suited connectors and gappers. These flops allow for all kinds of opportunity with straights and flush draws plus they also can hit 2 pair or the dreaded set. So I make the cbet 2/3 pot trying to get value for the over pair and defend vs the drawing hands. Often at this time the villain will re-raise the looking to get both streets of the draw for cheap. Once I know their image and feel fairly good the pair is ahead I 4 bet to make them pay. Maybe this is the error but anyway often the chips get all in and they hit the draw. I go busto. So any suggestions how to defend the overpair to a flop of undercards containing 2 of a suit?

Standard play up until the 4 bet. In these cases you have a decision to make. Normally you would want to flat and lead/raise turn on brick turns and play for SDV on risky turns.

On the other hand, you do want to 4bet some non zero percent of the time with an over pair to punish simibluff happy villains and balance your own simibluff range. Also a 4bet Allin in a ~1-4 SPR pot could be a very profitable move as an overpair is usually good on the flop and almost any draw w/ less than 14 outs would be paying WAY too much to realize their equity, and even if they call with a big draw, it’s still a coin flip. Keep in mind this is all based on the fact that villain IS on a draw. Your also going to run into sets and 2 pair hands, especially against passive/nitty opposition.

Playing overpairs in deep stacked situations can put you in some really tough spots, at the end of the day it’s still a one pair hand, albeit almost certainly the best pair, it can easily be drawn out/bet off of by a good player. Sometimes when your deep stacked you might consider a larger preflop raise (as big as 5X if your not as confident in your post flop skills) to price out the weaker suited connectors and and baby pairs. This (should) narrow your opponents range to mostly hands that you dominate, a few coin flips, and any of the over pairs that beat you. As long as your not risking too much of your stack with 1010-QQ (AA and KK are usually worth your stack preflop) you can play ABC poker postflop and usually have at least SDV in your overpair.

Sorry I was so long winded, I have put a lot of thought/study into overpairs as I’ve also felt I had some leaks with them. Anyway, hope I helped a little!