Frustration

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone else getting super frustrated when starting out a poker tournament on a great note and winning hands and accumulating big stack but then out of nowhere drawing dead every time..?

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Yes, but you have to learn from that and move on. If you keep thinking about it, you're going to start playing tight and I think it's worse, because you play in fear of losing. Greetings

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tilt caused by running hot is also form of tilt but many people can not see it when it happens. Up and down swings are part of the game and you should handle these well if you want to build some solid game base.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Frustation

We can experience frustration in poker in various ways. In my case, it has happened to me that I have the best cards in hand and a bingo player goes with the worst and hits the best hand. It is incredible that they are lost on the turn and on the river bind the hand I don't understand that sometimes or people who call an all in with 36 different step and the flop comes 363 is frustrating. :D

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People underestimate "winners tilt" the emotions from running hot can be just as overwhelming as losing despair. Over-playing hands, having a much wider range, because you have the chips. Chasing draws, because you have the chips, missing those draws ends up being frustrating and then the inevitable happens.

The most important thing is recognizing when it is happening, making decisions based on emotion, rather than rational thought. What are the triggers, why do they affect me, and how do i fix it.

testing826

testing826

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker hold em sure gets frustrating when you feel too confiden winning pots for a while thenn out of no where your hands start to miss and badbeat you

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
the frustration you mentioned is called Variance and is always there, more than we like, in either way it goes. :deal:

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
The frustration goes away with the game but it comes back every time, ups and downs

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Poker is a game for patient and disciplined players. If you are patient and disciplined, then in the long run you will be able to make money. Therefore, there is no point in being disappointed or upset. But it makes sense to improve skills, analyze mistakes, accumulate experience and gain new knowledge.
Good luck.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is really a disheartening situation. But you have to persevere!

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Art imitates life, so is poker.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey
There were, are and will be disappointments, it's poker, I played in a tournament yesterday and was in second position until the end of registration, but I was knocked out two positions before the prizes, I'm disappointed, but this is a game and someone is always knocked out on the bubble, why not me ? I'm taking a break today.

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This kind of situation often occurs, especially if we obtain the big stack through gambling, losing a few all-ins preflop is enough to end the life of tourney even with a big stack. We should play more safely, rather than playing bad cards and hoping for good luck.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone else getting super frustrated when starting out a poker tournament on a great note and winning hands and accumulating big stack but then out of nowhere drawing dead every time..?

When I see people getting big stacks in these freerolls and low buyin tourns it usually means they took unnecessary risks and got lucky and they're not playing well.

They think they're doing well but more than likely, doing silly bad plays like going all in the beginning of a tourn with a huge amount of big blinds or they're playing every hand and hitting hands or they're raising every hand aggressively and their opponent doesn't hit the board and they CBET and take down a pot.

What will happen is they think they're playing well by looking at their chip count but in reality those are BAD plays that these folks can't win consistently with. What ends up happening is they keep doing those silly plays and someone will catch them and folks don't have the experience or skill level to keep playing like that or the discipline to get away from hands and they lose those chips as quickly as they acquired them.

And they lose their chips and will say: "I don't understand how I get a big chip count and lost it?" and I'm sitting there is disgust wondering what in the world these folks are doing all while watching their silly bad plays.

OOOh and don't forget, after they have lost a big pot and they're still in good shape relative to the blinds, they will give up and go all in right after losing their chip lead with a trash hand in frustration or some silly reason. That's the most predictable thing beginners do after losing a big pot.

And these folks can't expect to keep getting lucky playing bad where these folks need to play for 3, 4+ hours just to cash, lol.

Go ask a pro how they play a tourn, they GRIND AND GRIND AND GRIND slowly trying to acquire chips without putting themselves at risk. Picking spots when they have an edge on their opponents, they're not playing bingo with a drawing hand or a pair preflop.

What will happen at best for these folks with the big stack early in a tourn is sure, they'll win a tourn here and there but they will NOT cash consistently so they will be a LOSING TOURN PLAYER with a few wins sprinkled here and there and they'll chalk it up to bad luck when they can't cash consistently but in reality, they're just bad players.

Last edited:
DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When I see people getting big stacks in these freerolls and low buyin tourns it usually means they took unnecessary risks and got lucky and they're not playing well.

This ^^^

I can safely say that, when I first started playing properly, I was guilty of this. I would get a decent stack from making risky plays that early-on that better players were very unlikely to play against (at that point). Later on in the game, when the better players have built up a decent stack, these risky plays were being called and all of a sudden the plays are no longer tenable and I ended up crashing out.

What I've found over time playing is that there is a fine-line between playing aggressively and playing recklessly. Picking your battles where you are more likely to have a slight advantage is an important thing, but equally important is cutting your losses if those odds shift as the cards are dealt. One learning I've learnt is that you shouldn't be afraid to fold if the cards shift away from being in your favour, even if you've already stumped up a number of chips on pre-flop, or the flop etc.

I've more recently had more success in tournaments and getting ITM where I have played slow and steady to begin with, basically maintaining the avg. pot level through the first half (even two-thirds) of a tournament.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have such a situation and I don’t have a normal card to play, I sit and wait for the card. It happens that the card is beautiful and everything seems to be going well for me on the table, but the opponent turns out to have a better card and I start to lose my stack. No need to despair. I'm starting to play very carefully.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Helps to know what you are doing and why.

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
it does happen all the time
all you have to do is wait the wave goes and play good hands

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker:

Skill is a myth

The hands your dealt, the position you hold, number of players, number of players in the hand, opposition hands holdings, flop, turn , river,

at best your best odds are 80 percent preflop AA vs 72o.

So you are going to loose 1 in 4 times. Maybe 20 times in a row but 1 in 4..

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I also think that's very frustrating, specially when you are close to the FT. But that's poker and you need to learn to accept the losses, of course this is easier to say than done.

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, sometimes you run hot and other times you cool down. Frustration is just part of the game.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, but you have to learn from that and move on. If you keep thinking about it, you're going to start playing tight and I think it's worse, because you play in fear of losing. Greetings

Playing tight isn't necessarily done out of fear, it can also be an effective way to have chips in your possession when opportunity presents itself as one approaches the money.

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All you can do is be patient, one of my biggest problems is getting too aggressive with the wrong hand.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been having a bad run ever since I had Covid. I have the "covid brain." I try to avoid playing whenever this is really bad, but I completely suck now. I play more impulsively since I am too tired to do the calculations, but I am on a losing streak. I am not sure what to do, but I think I might switch to longer tourneys just to give more time for thinking and double checking so I can get my game back.