Are Freerolls Harder Than buy-ins?

Cajin007

Cajin007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look mate... i took that out of context in order to make a point, with no disrespect, though i don't understand why u seem offended. I stand by what i said, and i'm not sorry. I can only speak for myself when i say that poker, in any form, creates addiction, and it took me a while, but i realized i want something from this game, and i am an addict, i don't deny it, i try my best to achieve my goal, which is to master the game, enough to money out of it. Having fun while doing it... that's the actual entertaining part. If you start a thread on how to make something out of nothing, and you claim to play for fun... don't know, and i'm not the one to judge, but the story seems off. For what it's worth, i wish you the best of luck, and go prove me wrong.

I never meant any disrespect, or to sound ugly, and certainly understand where your coming from. I'm a poker addict also, and my goal is to build a bankroll form nothing. And as you said, having fun while mastering the game while doing it, is something I look forward to. As far as the fun, well sometimes getting too deeply invested is not only bad for the bank, but bad for your game. So, with freerolls I have the option to play as i feel, without the stress and worry if I screw up.

This is not the first time I have started form zero, and won't be the last.
This doesn't mean that i simply toss money away, I build to a point, then I cash out everything, and begin again. It becomes a game, in and of it's self, creates a personal challenge and goal for myself, and makes me a better player i think.

Also, when the time comes for me to truly begin investing all that hard earned winnings, I will know that I am ready for whatever can and will happen.

So to all I wish you the best, and good luck to all!

D

dazeboy79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would answer Freerolls are easier to win and it gets tougher as the buyin goes up... Simple right??

scaleyback

scaleyback

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would answer Freerolls are easier to win and it gets tougher as the buyin goes up... Simple right??

100% agree, all these comments that they are like bingo, fishes shove with J2 etc...thats good right its exactly what we want. Avoid shipping it pre with marginal hands try and play some flops. If they are beating you post flop with hands like J2 then they are out playing you or you are making poor calls, over-valuing hands such as top pair etc.

As you move up in stakes it gradually gets harder as you face tougher opponents that will put you in increasingly difficult spots.There is a fallacy that as you move up it gets easier because the poker is more honest, sure people may play more like we are taught to play for the most part however the winners in this world will adjust to your playing style and crush your soul. Ultimately you will end up busting and calling the player that cracked your aces a fish because he called with 97, the reality is the player knew exactly where they were in the hand and knew how to exploit your tendency to over value hands.

I will often play rag hands if I think I can out play the opponent post flop its common sense and its profitable.

Last edited:
RutgersOneTime

RutgersOneTime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely have to play tighter, but to say down the stretch of a tournament, a freeroll is harder than any buyin, I would have to disagree with. Once you are ITM I believe it is much more difficult in any buyin.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably, they typically have many more players as well as smaller prize pools so fewer people end up cashing. However, the players are often significantly worse in freerolls and will ship preflop early on with very marginal hands.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it really depends on the free roll. Keep in mind that playing in the cardschat free rolls you're playing against other people who joined the community to become better poker players and thus will usually entail a higher level of play than the average free roll!

elena007xxx

elena007xxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are harder than buy-ins? I read that freerolls are harder because they're free.

D

Deemajor44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls and tourneys are both hard to win but keep at it i recently won a freeroll on global

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The main advantage of freerolls is that they have a ROI plus, sometimes zero truth, but these are details.:D

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Working pay more than freeroll.

I don't think it's possible for everybody. For me it's more a good opportunity to play exciting poker for free. Not much money even when you win in a tournament where the odds are not to your advantage.

That being said, I like playing them a lot.

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls

I would not consider freerolls (not including cardschat freerolls) to be harder than buyins. In my opinion freerolls are hard because you have to change your strategy drastically depending on your opponents, the level you are in and how many people are in the tournament. Almost everytime on the 10$ on demand if you go all in in the first hand you will get a call from one or more players (usually like 3) and a really good hand can be beaten by someone with a random hand. But with enough patience and applying the basic poker strategies you have more chance of getting deep in the tournament, however you would need more than just patience since only about 10 players get payed on the 10$ on demand, personally I have been ITM in it twice, once second place and once I think I was 10th.

On the other hand the tournaments with buyins even though they do not have as much people as the freerolls (some of them do and even more) but still you get to see more experienced players that have a better idea of what they are doing.

However, when I talk about freerolls I am not considering cardschat freerolls. Since this is a really experienced community the freerolls that I have been able to play not yet being a member have a higher level of difficulty. You can see that players play a lot more tight and know what they are doing, you really need to use your intuition to know which hands you can win additional to all the poker knowledge gathered from the communities forum.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning stages of freerolls yes , because within the first 20 minutes most players dont give a hell since they have no money invested. You'll get called with the stupidest of hands. Usually when you're past an hour and a half into a freeroll it dwindles down to the players that value their time even of is only for a $3 hit.

jrutledge

jrutledge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just asked this question and decided to make a new thread about it because it is an important subject. If you can build a decent bankroll from nothing in a month on freerolls, you will have a much better chance at winning a buy-in. It also depends on the freeroll. The Cardschat 250 people dont mess around much, not like the 10 on demand. I think a high amount of entrants in a low freeroll like 25 and under are the hardest. Still a good learning experience. So what is your strategy for tourney play? try and make

it to ITM or WIN, and how about the :cool:first 2 lvls :cool:

I've been trying to play freerolls recently and the only strategy that has almost worked for me is to pretty much sit out for the first 10 or so hands. Unless you have a table of people who aren't just shoving all the time. If I have a decent table, I try and get involved, but stay tight with my pre flop selection.
Well, maybe don't take all my advice though because I've yet to cash in any of these freerolls.

magik9118

magik9118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll is like lotto at the begining but if you passe the first hour it s start To Get serious and Can be nice To play..!

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are the most challenging free entry to play because you will find some more different calls mainly at the beginning of the game but with the passage of time and advancing the game level equals tournaments with buy-in and the game creates a dynamic similar but in much of the beginning of the tournament to his half these tournaments have many lucky and calling station that make us change the format of play and of course the bad beats are more frequent also in this type of game

:jd4:mateuspoker

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will mostly associate freerolls with the effective buy-in of the game.

This is essentially the prizepool divided by the number of players.

The lower the effective buy-in is for the game, the less people will care if they win or lose a prize.

I will avoid any of these games and only play the games with higher eff. buy-in's

A paid tourney with a $0.10 buy-in (like the 10 cent 360-man on stars) will play similar to a freeroll with eff. buy-in of 10 cents (500 players/$50 prizepool).

The higher the prize is the more people will actually try.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls you need to start. Filling a bankroll is difficult, but possible. The main thing is to go through the initial stage of the freeroll, then the monkeys are smaller and everyone plays more adequately))

L

lezghin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, sometimes you make a bet in freerolls that you would be afraid to do in buy-in, free-rolls are not much more relaxed .. and you can sometimes risk playing on an all-in .. I think there is a difference, but of course experience is gained ..:angel:

V

vashsv

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls

They are freerolls, most people dont take them siriously, they just shove and move on, that can be annoying, but they are free so you dont really lose anything exept time.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, you can't compare freerolls with other tournamets, freerolls are the lowest level of Poker with real money involved

Completely correct. Freerolls are a different animal than a buy-in. You are facing so much loose action in a freeroll that you don't really know which way to go and just have to get lucky. Unless you're playing a freeroll that is password protected though.

P

pRompt

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls in the beginning usually I play almost with all possible hands, maybe I can win a couple of tourns. After when the blinds are increasing I'm going to be more aware of what hands I'm going to play. Usually I only play with promising starting cards(AK, AQ, and ofc with high pairs, and sometimes cards in order line 10,9; J10; etc.. Its very intuitive I think. Cash games are better maybe becouse its more predictable when somebody has a good hand. But the blinds are not increasing so drasticly like in speed freerolls. Sometimes I earn a little money with freerolls(0.2-2 euro). But this is a good place for practicing and learning new strategies.

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to me, it is much more difficult to play freeroll.because it does not cost anything and it's easier for everyone to bluff even when they do not have any chance of winning

M

mioou2011

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if we consider the number of play, yes it's hard I thick
and the good thing is if u lose u do not lose anything

M

milo79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my experience is that at freeroll and small by in they gamble more and much more all in than at higher by in or cash game

andsws

andsws

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
From my experience: yes they are. Why? Because you'll find all types of poker players on the field and you have to be more focused than usual.

Freeroll Passwords