Are Freerolls Harder Than buy-ins?

S

spadeit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls with a lot of players are evil. Especially if the guarantee is small. You need to wait 15-20 minutes until the solid all - in. Then play normally. With a small field-the game is already more serious, more like tournaments with buy-in. I use freerolls as training and as a means to increase the bankroll, so I have nothing against them. I also want to say that for me it is more difficult to play freerolls. As in tournaments with buy-in, the game is more tight, and for me it is more comfortable.

I kind of feel like training in free rolls is a waste of time beyond getting a general feel for how tournaments work. Even after they tighten up, they will never play the same as when someone actually puts up money to lose.

I use freerolls for pure entertainment or when I feel like tilting and the grind gets boring. Therapy. I mean if you are really spending 3-4 hours a tournament for a top prize of something like $2.50 you could be doing much better things with your time. Get a job and take $1 dollar of your pay every hour and join a $1 tournament. Even if you lose that $1 every time you will come out way ahead and the practice is much better.

R

rjwhite99

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
free rolls are very hard due to multiple people shoving with random hands

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More speculative hands; erratic play; and less post flop folding.
Nice situations to deal with.

M

mshropy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not harder you just have to be patient and lucky. Because people go all 8 with nithin call with nothing. Pkt aces and lost to 2 9 off suit. Flop 359 then k9.if real money you gonna think more. Unless 1 or 2 dollars.. Patience is key get up and cruise. Idc wat u have dont blow everything because people are greedy for action no guarantees pkt aces win .and watch players hands see what they call with..

More speculative hands; erratic play; and less post flop folding.
Nice situations to deal with.
yeah donkeys... Want action every hand no patience.. If you get up. .Cruise till donks are gone. How many times you play and some ass goes all in every hand.. I had acez
Last week. Guy a
Calls with k 10 off. Flopp 9.5 .k.. Then river 2 k i lose.. Pure luck. But they dont last long

Last edited by a moderator:
Nemchenko_A

Nemchenko_A

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I kind of feel like training in free rolls is a waste of time beyond getting a general feel for how tournaments work. Even after they tighten up, they will never play the same as when someone actually puts up money to lose.

I use freerolls for pure entertainment or when I feel like tilting and the grind gets boring. Therapy. I mean if you are really spending 3-4 hours a tournament for a top prize of something like $2.50 you could be doing much better things with your time. Get a job and take $1 dollar of your pay every hour and join a $1 tournament. Even if you lose that $1 every time you will come out way ahead and the practice is much better.

I have to disagree. When the Freeroll is 20% - 30% of the players, the game changes dramatically and becomes normal. I'm not playing for the win, I'm playing for the fun:) So I don't care if it's a Freeroll or a buy-in, I play everything. On account of the experience agree. In a buy-in game, you get more. It also matters what limit you play. The higher the limit, the stronger the players and the more you can adopt yourself.

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is harder in freeroll because people do not take so serious as buy in they do not feel such presure so it is harder to bluff.

Tbone461

Tbone461

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can last past the first few rounds when the all in craziness is going on the players tend to be weaker and easier to defeat.

P

psuedosuited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing that makes freerolls seem harder is that you can have AA and get all in against someone shoving random hands and they'll hit that 1 in 10000 shot hand to beat you. So the actually thing is that variance is so absurdly high in freerolls from the bingo players that statistically sometime have to hit a hand that get you knocked out really early in these. Then that also plays into the other side of this, when some of the better players or even the bingo players start to win on these shoves or shove calls after 2 or 3 levels you have the top 10 players already have an absurd lead over the rest of the field. It's a delicate balance between playing enough to win chips and stay with the top of the pack and not playing to much that you lose tons of chips to the random bingo players. But never fear, cashing in freerolls is still a very doable thing!

Exactly- you almost have to play garbage and stack up quick or else just don’t waste your time ...

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on the freeroll. A lot of the ACR freerolls have awful play in them which makes it frustrating to play. The CardsChat freerolls are actually played well, and that makes it very worth playing. Regardless, it can't hurt to get experience and have a shot at building a bankroll.

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find freerolls way harder to win in than buy-ins. Players call with Q4 and hit the low straight. It's so hard to keep up. Percentages don't lie, and in the long run with all the crazy players the crap hand will win somewhere. I look forward to joining the Cardschat freerolls with fewer and better players.

theman2017

theman2017

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls you need to really relax and lay down some big hands because people will shove all in with stuff like jack nine.

specialjuice

specialjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are much harder because people dont care if they lose they are not losing money thats way they play so agressive

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The same dificult. Everything depends your hand and your hability to make the play.
Of course the other players can be nice players too.
We can find nice players in freerolls and bad players in buy-ins... Then... each tournament have your dificulty!!!

K

KlicKlicBoom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Because more people go all in !!!!
Greatings Headdasher
I find it tough to get in the money on these freeroll games as most players dont really try to play good poker as they have 0 on the line. They will go all in with nothing and draw out on your quality hand. It sucks but its just the nature of the beast.

maksonios

maksonios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, freerolls are much harder than buy-in games, because in freerolls there are beginners and they are always going all-in with bad hands and it is very uncomfortable for experienced players.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
make money on FreRolls so hard, if at all possible

Hi There,
2 weeks ago I went bankrupt - Had 0,00 in my acct
Started with freerolls and now have 4,00 ( 400% lol)
Not bad
Rgds

MadDeVille

MadDeVille

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's usually plays very strange if you did not sign up with money.
Recless playing

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I don't take the ten dollar freerolls or the twenty five dollar freerolls to seriously anymore. When I first started I would place about a tenth of the time. Now I just chat setting the bet for the newcomers. Hopefully, the newcomers listen and get on cardschat. At least for a while. So they can build a decent bankroll with a cardschat win and a double up.

M

motherfunky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing that makes freerolls seem harder is that you can have AA and get all in against someone shoving random hands and they'll hit that 1 in 10000 shot hand to beat you. So the actually thing is that variance is so absurdly high in freerolls from the bingo players that statistically sometime have to hit a hand that get you knocked out really early in these. Then that also plays into the other side of this, when some of the better players or even the bingo players start to win on these shoves or shove calls after 2 or 3 levels you have the top 10 players already have an absurd lead over the rest of the field. It's a delicate balance between playing enough to win chips and stay with the top of the pack and not playing to much that you lose tons of chips to the random bingo players. But never fear, cashing in freerolls is still a very doable thing!

That happens to me regardless :eek:

M

motherfunky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls you need to really relax and lay down some big hands because people will shove all in with stuff like jack nine.

Isnt the idea to call when you're ahead, how else you gonna win?

R

RedDawgz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes I would say also that freerolls are just generally more frustrating, but if you can learn how to get deep in them your shot at buy in tourneys will probably be better since in the freerolls you learn to only play when you got it, and fold when you don't. this is due to proclivity of the wide range of all in hands you will face in freerolls are often not there in buy in tourneys.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will certainly find better quality players in buy in tournaments and higher variance in freerolls.

windstaressf

windstaressf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Card games freeroll are ALL adequate.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are much harder because top 1.5% get ITM and the play is so wild through out the tournament that you can get sucked out with AA at anytime against a garbage hand. In a buy-in tournament people play serious and don't want to lose that buy-in so they play tight and in position and fold hands that should be folded and fold to 3 bets and know more about poker concepts then people in the freerolls do that is what make the buy-n tournaments so much easier.

Freeroll Passwords