Are Freerolls Harder Than buy-ins?

B

Bearclaws8989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are because your turning nothing into something, which is harder to do then buying in. I think it’s the most impressive thing you can do in poker is invest almost nothing and come out on top. I’ve done it before and anyone else who has done it too give yourself a pat on the back we are an elite class of poker player.

M

MadMan999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are not harder then buy-in tournaments. In freerolls more aggressively players which can give you their chips.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls never earn anything.Freerolls are needed for those who do not throw money into the room or for those who just have fun.
When a bankroll is good it's hard to play,but about the freeroll, I am silent:D

S

sv3tliooo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can won 1st place on freerolls, but when I pay with my balance $, I can't get to final table...

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are harder than buy ins because there is nothing to lose ! When u have something to risk u r more likely to take it more seriously.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can won 1st place on freerolls, but when I pay with my balance $, I can't get to final table...

There are a lot of bad players in freerolls, or just donks in general. If you wait for strong hands it can be easy to chip up. In buy in games though, you will start to see much better players. Players with a strategy, who will pick on players that are too tight or are known to fold to c-bets. Perhaps you are playing too tight in buy ins because you are playing with "scared money", afraid of losing. You could just be unlucky in these tournaments as well, but if you are a tight player, just know that the other players know, and will play accordingly.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Offf ... Free tournaments are hard to win. Most play chaotically because they have not invested any money and bet every hand. Still, if you have a little patience, you can make a good figure

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are not harder.

They just have more players so you will have more variance.

You will also have a style of play that has more variance with people going all-in alot.

Harder no, but you will lose alot more often.

A

abyk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free rolls might seem harder because there are more people in the tournament, but they are definitely not harder. The skill level in free rolls is really low compared to buy ins. I've played free rolls and buy ins for over 8 years now.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me freerolls are not harder, they are just much more boring (most of them, not all): too long, too many people, too many stupid all-ins etc.

S

swanet83

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its harder than buy in I believe cause more players play

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never deposit so I can just wait until a freeroll win to start playing real games, and I believe the real money buy in games are easier to win.

M

Moisaalin19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I never deposit so I can just wait until a freeroll win to start playing real games, and I believe the real money buy in games are easier to win.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I reckon freerolls are harder tobplayer simply because there are a lot of players just pressing all in cquse there is nothing to lose. The higher the buyin is, the easier it is to play the game, in the sense that everyone is playing seriously.

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt say they are harder, but i have found that there is less care in them thus it can lead to crazy play...

G

GoSplat678

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll v buyin

Im going to say freerolls are some of the hardest tourneys to win. nothing to lose so loose and aggressive is the way to go early then sitout or check fold for awhile after you double/triple up till about 1/4 of the field drops off then its time for poker like any other tourney

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls vs buyin

i win more freerolls then i do at buyins i find that most of the time it is mainly done on a river too especially online.

i rekon i should get the guiness world record for the most losses on the river but i find that buyins are alot more enjoyable to play and i am thinking of going into the highroller games and cash tables where you may get that one hand that is lifechanging.

i dont have alot of money but with a little luck and my natural game i may just be one that sneaks through the cracks

good luck all see you at the tables

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling stations

I find a lot of calling stations in the free rolls. And eventually one hits on the river and takes a chunk of if not all of my chips

C

cracked aces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
players push in freerolls all the time it's being patient that counts

C

cracked aces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've won freerolls and when i got done and won my $2.40 after 3 hours i feel exhausted.

I can't wait for the minimum wage to go to 15.00 so i can make a living at poker.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

miktux

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aggree with comments, so many all ins and non sense bets with eventually wins.
I think they are not harder for sure but more annoying

Nemchenko_A

Nemchenko_A

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls with a lot of players are evil. Especially if the guarantee is small. You need to wait 15-20 minutes until the solid all - in. Then play normally. With a small field-the game is already more serious, more like tournaments with buy-in. I use freerolls as training and as a means to increase the bankroll, so I have nothing against them. I also want to say that for me it is more difficult to play freerolls. As in tournaments with buy-in, the game is more tight, and for me it is more comfortable.

Keenlight

Keenlight

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Frerolls can be a good little money earner when you are starting your bankroll but be prepared to lose a lot of hands to junk hands. I play a lot of freerolls and it very often is the same guys that get in deep. Just be prepared to fold AA early on and don't go all in preflop even with a great hand.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The toughest part about the low $ freerolls is it turns into gambling for the most part. Most people can't/won't be bluffed and will barrel off like crazy regardless of their cards. So really you need to hit a big hand early(and have it hold up) to chip up until the crazies get knocked out. You'll still run into the guy with 10x the starting stack later in the tournament that plays a similar style, but after you've chipped up you'll have a lot more time to find opportunities to exploit his style of play.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't believe free rolls are harder. The CardsChat daily on ACR plays like a small stakes buyin due to three factors. Fields size ~130 or so, short late registration and lack of a school of fish.

The ACR $10 freeroll for the first hour is a fish frenzy. Whatever you hold will probably be called down to the river and be in jeopardy against a draw. After that it's pretty good practice but you are only slightly rewarded for making the final table and spending a couple hours time.

Other free rolls are for the most part really just a micro rebuy add-on tournament with too long for late registration featuring a $0.00 initial entry fee. You need to finish about halfway through the ITM number in order to more than just barely break even if you rebuy or add on. With some reward for making the final two tables.

If you want to actually play in a more than two hour late registration event I think the best action is to buy at the last minute and purchase the addon. This generally puts you right about at the bubble in stack size, with a good chance to make it ITM and recoup the funds and saves you 2-5 hours of wasted time. From there its usually an hour of letting the short stacks blind out while trying to blind out yourself.

Nothing is really harder you just need different approaches for the different formats.

Freeroll Passwords