Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Sure, thats an easy fold scenario, also in the bubble of some tourneys if the prize is significant to your bankroll and you have a confortable stack, it could be considered, even though you are hurting your chances to win it.

Of course, if you find yourself in this situation we prolly need to have a heart to heart about bankroll management. :)

CuttleFish

CuttleFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know I'll get slated for this but there's one other scenario where I would consider folding AA pre-flop.

If I had saved for a year, flew to the other side of the world to take my one time go at the at the wsop main event, day 1 first hand, get dealt AA and someone moves all in pre-flop.

Mathematically wrong, scared money, bad fold, idiot etc etc, I accept all of this. But to me, life is about experiences. I would want to play for a while to soak up the atmosphere and I would find it hard to move all in. If I weigh up the benefit of doubling up early, versus the possibility of busting out first hand, then I would most likely fold.

In no way am I saying this is the right thing to do, just that it would be right for me.................maybe. :)

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That would be tragic

Yeah. You know that would be something to think about. And just imagine the guy that moved all in shows 7 2 off. Then the flop comes A,k,2 the turn is a 2 and all of a sudden you get this sick feeling in your stomach. The dealer looks up smiles at you and shows the river it's a 2. Then the guy that moved all in busts up in laughter. then he looks straight into your watering eyes and says. "What a donk call that was you fish".
Needless to say not only would you not win the WSOP but you would be spending the remaining years of your life behind bars for ripping dudes head off.
Just a thought:motz:

I know I'll get slated for this but there's one other scenario where I would consider folding AA pre-flop.

If I had saved for a year, flew to the other side of the world to take my one time go at the at the WSOP main event, day 1 first hand, get dealt AA and someone moves all in pre-flop.

Mathematically wrong, scared money, bad fold, idiot etc etc, I accept all of this. But to me, life is about experiences. I would want to play for a while to soak up the atmosphere and I would find it hard to move all in. If I weigh up the benefit of doubling up early, versus the possibility of busting out first hand, then I would most likely fold.

In no way am I saying this is the right thing to do, just that it would be right for me.................maybe. :)

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If I had saved for a year, flew to the other side of the world to take my one time go at the at the WSOP main event, day 1 first hand, get dealt AA and someone moves all in pre-flop.

I would snap call it, mainly because if you want to tell people how you lost losing to a bad beat is legit, and otherwise you get an easy double up early on which would give you a longer 'experience'. plus i find being beat when you made a good call hurts less than being outplayed by better players, which leaves you feeling like an idiot.

D

demid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
fold aa preflop

Ive folded aa preflop many times,first i did it for novelty kinda anti poker,and in a more serious sense when i have a ticket in a tourney and dont need to play,and feel it wants to rob my ticket with some disaster beat

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is like the third time in as many months that somebody has asked the same question.

ajei

ajei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, if you find yourself in this situation we prolly need to have a heart to heart about bankroll management. :)
Well think that you win a satelite online for a 10k tournament and you only have a few k bankroll, min cashing in that one (around 20k) is something very significant to your bankroll.
But on the other hand bad bankroll management has always been my problem, have been up to 10k from 100 3 different times in the 7 years i have been playign to then loose it as fast as i made it :(

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
if everyone gets the same then fold but damn i know id f up and go for it to put the exclamation point on it. any other time id say you have invented beyond ultra tight playing , hey man AA aint strong enough lol

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is the hardest preflop fold

That's because as far as I can tell you shouldn't do it. If someone shoves all in preflop and you're holding AA you should do a little happy dance right before you shove yourself. Yes, the person might get two pair/ a set/ a straight or something by the river, but most of the time you'll double up easy. I'm not a great player or anything, but unless you're in the position that the OP was in I genuinely can't see a reason why you'd fold AA preflop.

S

SubtractUrStack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In that situation, I would say its completely reasonable to fold ANY hand. Your goal is to make it to the prize and if that's what you need to do, then that's part of the strategy. Several all ins before you, most likely someone is going down. Stack size of the all ins could effect the decision of course because you might be relying on only one guy to win vs 2 out of the 3 or 4.

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellites its not hard to fold AA near the bubble, especially when you are almost at the target tournament and theres a lot of players with very short stacks. Some people don't realize this and I've seen people lose with AA to the big stack player's hand. I also remember the loose cannon folding AA in the big game, which turned out well since he wouldn't have won the hand. I think him being up near the end of the session and it only being pot-limit preflop made him take a very conservative approach to the hand.

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just at the beginning I played a freeroll qualifier at PS. I had enough chips to wait untill getting my tournament ticket without risk but I got the aces and raised a fat stack preflop all in. He calls and hit a set. That was the only time I think I made the wrong decision.by not folding AA.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The double or nothings also (which is like a satty bubble).There are 6 left your a mid stack.Two similar smallish stacks go all in and chip lead shoves over them,then you fold AA.

I can see it in that situation, let's just say I bubble alot :)

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP you did the most profitable thing :) Its not always about the hand, rather, its about what is going to make you money in the long run. And this situation, it called for you to let go since your chances in a 4 5 6 way pot ( dont know the exact number) dramatically decrease. AA vs ATC 5 way you are winning only 52% of the time, and thats using poker stove in a 5 way pot! So want to risk a 50/50 chance on busting on the bubble? not a good idea so good fold :)

4 handed you are still only 63% favorite even tho this is much higher and profitable, you should still not risk your T life on a 63% chance with 1 away from cashing. :)

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see it in that situation, let's just say I bubble alot :)

I just bubbled 2 toruneys today.... 1 i shoved AK into the chip leader who ( 3 to the money) and he calls me with 25 and got trips..... I lose.

I was 6 fom the bubble in a free roll, mid stacked, late position I shoved into the big stack with 55 ( this i should have folded, but wanted 1st :D ) he calls with AJ ( nothing wrong here IMO) and he hit I am out. :p

Didnt have AA but if I did, I still wuld have done the same thing in both spots.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol yes this was my point too, I tend to play as if there were no bubble.

Sometimes I think I need to re evaluate my plays when I am around 10 players away from the bubble lol. I mean 2-3 hours into a game and your close to at least cashing, you might as well give yourself the best chance to make money. I know we should be focusing on 1st, But I think cashing then going for 1st feels much better than bubbling, Bubbling sucks balls! Literally

L

LaserCats

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, AA sounds great! Like 79% to most - 4 allins ahead of you and your most likely looking at below 50% of winning. Pot odds say this is ok when money matters. Money doesnt matter here though; its the spot u finish. You made the right call - a disciplined one and they should fear you the rest of the tourneys they play against you.

PaulThePokerCat

PaulThePokerCat

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can always recover from a "bad fold" You can't always recover from a "bad call". Have folded AA a few times preflop. Either late position with multiple shoves or late in a satellite where there was no reason to get involved..

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, AA sounds great! Like 79% to most - 4 allins ahead of you and your most likely looking at below 50% of winning. Pot odds say this is ok when money matters. Money doesnt matter here though; its the spot u finish. You made the right call - a disciplined one and they should fear you the rest of the tourneys they play against you.

Vs 4 players AI your 63% to win v 5 your barely 52% :) Pokerstove rules!

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a good idea in situations like on the bubble or in super turbo tournaments where 3-6 players are all in. Aces play like shit in multi way pots. (3 or more opponents)

FeltLikeIt

FeltLikeIt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever folded AA preflop ?
I have and I wish I had quite a few times.
The reason I folded AA preflop was simple. I was in a sattelite tourney at pokerstars it was a fpp buy in. It was 10 fpp's and the top 30 players or so all won an entry to a $3 tourney. There was only 1 spot remaining to get knocked out before the rest got the 1st place prize. There was a maniac on my table with a monster stack going all in every hand (sure you've seen what I'm describing). I was in the BB with AA. I had about 300 chips left after my BB and the blinds were like 1200. There were 4 all ins before the bet got to me. All I had to do was fold. and hope they all did not have the exact same hand and split the pot. Chances were at least 1 was out the door. they were all good hands it was like KK, QQ. JJ or something and the maniac had 3 6 off. All I remember is the flop it came 333. He knocked out three players. and I got paid
CRAZY I don'[t have the wisdom yet to ever fold AA preflop, sometimes post flop LOL Nice Flod!

M

mariarocks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never folded AA - never been in the kind of situation some of you describe here but it's true - when you have to place in a tournament and it's a lock you can't risk even with AA

IWinUlose

IWinUlose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might of done the same in that situation because over all I have cracked A's more then I have won with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folding in Poker