Fold with AA

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on which tournament, if it is expensive, then definitely fold. If from the category of sit and go, then I would definitely push, calling with such a stack as for me is a mistake, especially since on the bubble. Here, either pan, or disappeared.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would NEVER EVER EVER fold here, but that's me.

Most poker advice says it is fine to fold on the tournament bubble with AA, assuming you are "at risk of elimination" in the hand.

But I just don't play that way and never will. If we're folding AA, just stay home and play a less risky game, such as checkers. My opinion obv.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on many factors. Need a strong case to fold AA unless ICM implications are huge.

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting situation, I think at first everyone would make it all-in.
15 bb in bubble is not too much, but not too little, so we’re not forced all-in.
Very tempting AA preflop, but it's a fold, if the 2 players in front of us have fewer stacks than us, there is no question all-in
I can imagine the Push, if I am in a tournament that is not very important to me in this situation, but this is a small% of cases.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we have 15bb and we and 2 players in front of us are playing for the stack, is this the bubble of the tournament, are we folding or calling?

If we are playing for a ticket - we fold.

If we are playing for a normal structure tourney - we are jamming.

S

sheldon20264

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Drop AA,
this is how to flip a coin, you either get lucky or not

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call I'm playing to win not bubble.

W

WJMKAM

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just played AA vs AA vx 44. AA's needed runner, runner to get a flush or runner, runner to get trips on the board as a rainbow with a 4 and no pairs came on the flop.

Some bubbles have lots of places paid and not much more if you make it into the first spot ITM. Others bubbles are deeper into the tournament and have a bigger hit. Not playing AA to get 10 cents in a freeroll does not make sense when a win can take you much deeper.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
15 bbs on a tournament bubble; I expect the regs to play a bit wider and the normal players to tighten up (to get in the money).

My play partly depends what kind of players the two left to act after me are...but 99.9% of the time, I'm probably going for max value one way or another. If I bust, then I bust, but AA with 15bbs, I'd likely just get it All-In and chip up for an eventual run at the Final Table :cool:

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
p.s. I should probably mention, the remaining percent of the time, I'm folding to barely get into the money if the amount if THAT important to me...but even then I'm probably shipping it All-In. :D

R

r0ny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never fold with AA, it doesn't matter if you are on the bubble or not. I play tournament for the win, only for the win, not for min cash or something like that. Play aggressive on the bubble, not scary.

tra1mp

tra1mp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an easy call as you will be ahead 80% of the time.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Call for sure. I'm not trying to break even, I'm trying to take home the title baby

bertaS1234

bertaS1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will never fold aces preflop, but in any other case, look at the situation

P

PPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely it depends upon the tournament payout?

If its a typical tournament that keeps on playing past the bubble until you get to a winner then I'd push. Those chips would be useful in the bubble and if you lose then curse the 'bad beat' even if there's a reasonable chance of it.

If the prize is a ticket where everyone gets the same prize then fold. I had something similar earlier this week when I was on the bubble (but running low on chips) and got KK - I saw others all in and folded because quite frankly I don't care which of those all ins go out, so long as its not me, then I win!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
FFOOOOOOOOOOLLLDD!!!!! Fold that all day!! The topic of AA keeps popping up on here and I would fold this trap hand 100 times out of 100. I lose more often than not with AA and especially sitting on the bubble I have no question if I call I'm going out before I get ITM. If we aren't on the bubble I would call (and expect to lose to the whale calling with 6 4 by hitting a straight), but sitting on the bubble fold it and let one of the other players go out and miss the $$$.

-Grant S

I agree with you Grant, players all too often fall in love with A/A or K/K, when at the end of the day, they are just another 2 cards, ANY 2 cards can win, and any 2 can lose, all too often they get crushed by other players, and then the player often beaten claims the site is rigged or they were beaten by a suck-out, That's Poker!
We have to accept that those things happen, and yes I would fold all day long if it meant the difference of making the money, or going out busted.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is an easy call as you will be ahead 80% of the time.

Not exactly. True that AA is roughly an 85% favorite against ANY random hand preflop, but AA will be tied (AA vs AA) or ahead 100% of the time preflop as it is the literal best hand possible...however this isn't to say AA is always in this great of shape.

In a 4-way pot like this one (based on the ranges you assign players), AA only has about 50% equity preflop. This means that literally half the time (50%), you will lose with AA here. This is why isolation raising is so important - I'd like my AA to hold much close to that 85% if possible :D

p.s. edit: thinking of a similar thread asking about AA in a 4 way pot. Same concept applies here though with 2 left to act after us and potentially a 3-way pot although AA might have slightly more equity now and even better if we isolate down to Heads-up.

gloemcesar

gloemcesar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CL
Chips
you can't fold AA preflop. at least you are in a very specific icm situation on a satellite. in fact couse the bubble the range are very tight so if you are short stack and shove its looks very strong and in this case you are actually that.

tra1mp

tra1mp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not exactly. True that AA is roughly an 85% favorite against ANY random hand preflop, but AA will be tied (AA vs AA) or ahead 100% of the time preflop as it is the literal best hand possible...however this isn't to say AA is always in this great of shape.

In a 4-way pot like this one (based on the ranges you assign players), AA only has about 50% equity preflop. This means that literally half the time (50%), you will lose with AA here. This is why isolation raising is so important - I'd like my AA to hold much close to that 85% if possible :D

p.s. edit: thinking of a similar thread asking about AA in a 4 way pot. Same concept applies here though with 2 left to act after us and potentially a 3-way pot although AA might have slightly more equity now and even better if we isolate down to Heads-up.

Yes, I totally agree, the more hands we hit, the more equity our hand has. You need to try to do situations when you are 1 on 1.

papapokera85

papapokera85

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I can't, but I often lose with them) This is poker!

pit85

pit85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Last my satellite I fold AA because there was another chip leader with a lot of chips ,because I needed 1 player to gone to get ticket for tournament and result been positive.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I would never retire with a pair of AA, I would go with everything!

Folding in Poker