Double or Nothing Games

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess it does more depend on the players at the table. You can play a certain game all you want to, but when it comes to your opponents you can't play their game for them. Keeping that in mind I will focus more on my opponents over my cards and hopefully be in a better chip position next time around.

P

PAYtheLEGEND

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
worst SNGs to play unless you going for SN

jayrock334

jayrock334

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally feel that Don are a great way to start a nice bankroll they have done me lots of good In the past

K

KNGDuceDropa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally love the don tournaments, i sit back, wait to double up then sit out and cash most of the time.

K

KNGDuceDropa

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally love the don tournaments, i sit back, wait to double up then sit out and cash most of the time. All survival

S

sashwerter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main problem DoN tournaments is the teamplay. pokerstars changed format DoN on fifty after the scandal with Chinese players.For the same reason, these tournaments have disappeared in 888poker(only SuperTurbo left)

K

kobra80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think playing in the tournament don is the best and fastest way to build a solid bankroll. especially for beginner players

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play tight and there's no reward when you are the big stack for risking part of it with a marginal hand to knock someone out.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I use them to make a tournament buy-in, stay tight, steal blinds, most times don't go above 2,000 chips by the end and still cash.:)

If you find them boring try multi-tabling, that will keep you focused.

Last edited:
B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont mind them, in the right mood DONs are perfect. They have helped me increase cash. They can get boring when its with a bunch of tight players, but then there are times when its over in like 5 mins cause everyone is either really aggressive or just flip. Its not uncommon to see someone sit out for 20 mins or so.

E

eichroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing i consider more than anything is rake. if u r paying 10% and winning 6/10 you are breaking even. your winrate has to be higher than 60% to show long term profit. Some players may find 80% achievable some may find they are closer to 45% winrate. Risk vs reward vs the house

R

ratster147

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Dons. If I win one which is usually an hour game I automatically take that money and do a bigger double on nada. Just keep moving up without risking bankroll. Usually playing a couple cash games at same time because the double ups require less attention for me.

C

cogath

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plus is when you gather triple stack you may relax - you almost won (if match does not last too long). Minus is you never win much here and not learn to play short tables and heads up's.

That is a good point. I find that when I play MTTs instead of DONs or Fifty50s I make it to the money often enough but don't finish high up. Heads up is a rare experience for me!

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Double or Nothing games are so much fun and I think, and if you make the right moves, these are very profitable. The best ones are the 15 and 30 dollar ones on winning network.. I watch the same people always win..

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like to play DoN sometimes, its easy to play, patience is the key
at smallest levels its a low risk and low reward,
if you lose you need twice more to win to increase funds

ern11

ern11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a pity that PS cancelled DoN's. Fithty is not so good.

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early Stage (9-10 players left)

During the first couple of levels when everyone is deep, there's little cause to invite much risk. I played my pocket eights hand with reasonable caution, although things obviously worked out well for me with an especially cooperative set of community cards. Meanwhile my opponent made several unnecessarily chancy moves, calling raises from out of position, then getting aggressive on the river with less than the nuts.

In fact, you'll often encounter one or two (or more) such types in these DoNs -- players who aren't going to be patient and wait for big hands and thus will be apt to donate their stacks to those who are. Double-or-Nothing SNGs actually attract a lot of novices who see a payout schedule in which 50% of players cash as a low-risk event, yet nonetheless bring what amounts to a high-risk style to the tournament.

No need for such craziness early on, though. Tight really is right during the first few levels in DoNs. Unless, that is, you've turned eights full. ;)

Middle Stage (7-8 players left)

Once two players have busted, most of those remaining will likely still be hovering around the starting stack while a couple will have around twice that. Avoiding tangling with the big stacks is generally a good idea, although pay attention to the player type -- he may well have gone into folding mode after winning his chips and thus may not be such a threat if you challenge him.

Everyone is now looking to survive three more eliminations. This is essentially like the bubble in an multi-table tournament, where blinds/antes can (and should) be readily stolen. By now you should have at least some idea about which players are tighter and more likely to give up to preflop raises, so target accordingly. Also use position, raising from the hijack, cutoff, or button when given the opportunity to do so.

Meanwhile, calling others' preflop raises with speculative hands is a big no-no. That's true from the start of the DoN, actually, but here in the middle stage it is especially bad to do as even just one such call followed by a fold to a continuation-bet can sink you into short-stacked status, relatively speaking.

Late Stage (6 players left)

When six are left -- the true bubble -- everyone knows one more elimination equals a cash. Often one or two players will have significantly more chips than the rest at this stage, meaning most are likely sitting on stacks of 10-12 big blinds or less (depending on the structure). That is to say, there probably isn't a lot of room for post-flop maneuvering from this point forward.

If you're one of the big stacks (i.e., if you have 3x the starting stack or more), you are now in a spot where folding to the money is not a bad course of action. However, if you are part of the group still battling with 1-2x the starting stack (or less), you have to play poker.

You can still steal blinds/antes here, although the likely method for doing so will be with an all-in opening raise. The risk of ruin means most will tighten up to all but the toppermost of their calling ranges (pairs and big aces). Thus will a late-position shove often work against players sitting in the blinds with stacks comparable to yours.

Looking at it from the other side, you should probably never call another player's all-in shove here except with the biggest hands. Even though your opponent's raising range can be wide -- and thus you might well be ahead with, say, your K-J-suited or the like -- the reward for doubling up at this stage is actually not as great as the risk of busting.

In fact that idea essentially holds true for the entire sit-n-go. Doubling up is nice, but often doesn't assure anything. To go back to my DoN from yesterday, doubling my stack on the first hand was great, but there was still work to do. Meanwhile, as my poor opponent experienced, busting definitely assures something -- you've lost your buy-in.

Fifth is as Good as First

Of course, this is poker -- we can't avoid risk entirely. For example, what if my opponent had reraised me all-in following that 8s-7s-4s flop? I'm likely ahead with my set of eights, though it's possible I could be as much as a 2-to-1 dog (against a flopped flush or straight). In any case, I'm not going away.

But for the most part, situations where it is clear you are "flipping" are largely to be avoided in DoNs, especially in the middle and late stages. Remember, you win as much for finishing fifth as you do for finishing first. Why should you take a 50-50 flip with six players left when you can still fold and let two other players take such a chance?

To put it another way, a "double-or-nothing" strategy isn't really what you want to have when playing a double-or-nothing tournament. If that's how you want to play, stay away from DoNs, head over to the roulette wheel, and put your chips on red or black.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a lot of pation! Don tournaments are not so interesting, cause there are no agressions and fights for the better cost places. In Don you can sit and wait when someone bit another player and help you win the same money with him.

Top 10 Games