Double or Nothing Games

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play one per day. It takes about 40-45 minutes. The main thing to remember is that the chip leader and 5th place win the same amount.

DonSifu

DonSifu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you're looking for maximum value, i suggest playing heads up. i think in the long run you'll see better returns than the D.O.N. tourneyes.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a fan of these because if you can make the decision and let the others knock each other around, and pick the right spot it takes like one good hand and you will be able to win these... I have watched many play and saw this one guy win 8 in a row on the 15 don on winning network.. it is legitimate poker game...

M

mmbq22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
DoN are no bankroll builders. Start playing low stakes Sng's and mix in a few MTTs, that's the best way to build up.

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DoN tournies are a waiting game. You only play to survive...Hit a hand and then fold all day. Let the other players knock each other out

P

PuckerUpChat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are fun to play and your winnings could go either way double up or not.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
anyone play sngs on carbon double or nothing?

I just found them 10 people 5 pay wow has to be pretty easy just moneyed first attempt only did a 1.50 WPN has them but only six people.

I am used to sng's 10 people 3 pay so this is like a godsend lol.

Anyway just wanting to know who plays them what levels any advice. Know no one on carbon yet etc.. can see doing like 7 dollar ones all day. Once raise bankroll.

C

cogath

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overall you'll probably lose money. Taking the reg fee into account, its never a full double up. pokerstars 50/50s are a better format.

I used to play them on ipoker. The one dollar was 86c buy in and 14c reg. So the most you could win was 86c. If you lose one you need to win the next two to get your money back. If you lose two in a row. You need to win the next three. That's about five hours play for a slight profit. Lose three and you're there the whole day trying to get your money back. Honestly you'd be better off working! I hear the reg fees aren't so bad at higher stakes but at micros they're bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
ruslanchernish

ruslanchernish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone plays double or nothing? Who on what limits plays??

I play for $1.5

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had played those games before.

You have to adjust your strategy as compared to a standard 3places payout sng.

Personally, I consider it a low risk, low reward game.

S

SBritt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still find myself playing these, even after i say NO MORE - when games continuously go an hour with multiple people still there for a $1.5 or $3.5 buyin lol

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
DONs are easily the highest ROI poker variant available, especially for players that are tight but can recognize weakness at their table and exploit that weakness. They are also incredibly slow/boring and barely qualify as poker IMO. For the right type of player, they are very profitable. For the wrong types of players (LAGs, impatient players), they are certain bankroll killers.

I have a very high ROI playing DONs, but they are so mind-numbingly boring that I don't play them any more.

-HooDooKoo

C

cogath

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still play them too. I find the Pokerstars Fifty50 format to be better though.

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing double or nothing games I find within 3-5 hands you'll find the players that are all in or playing slow. I wait till I'm strong, Doyle says if you wait most time you'll be in the money on single table. Most times I find it true cause you only have to place fifth. good luck

T

tke001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd never really seen one of the "double or nothings" in the listings before I played one recently at Carbon. Considering the rake, you probably need a 57% -ish cash rate to break even considering the rake. If you only cash half the time, don't do it. If you cash 2/3 or more, go for it.

4kingwildo

4kingwildo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im not sure you can learn some good poker from that crap, in DONs people just wasting each other time =) untill blinds will eat them alive =)))

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's good to make rakeback, quick BB growing

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DONs are a good choice if there's a sng leaderboard running where you play...And my advice would be simple, never play a few, always make a multitable session so you can get out of it with some profit...What you wrote doesn't make a sense to me tho, bigger buyins almost always means a lower rake per game and if we are talking about multitable, well do the math...Cheers!

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Double or Nothing

Does anyone have a good strategy for these games? I can't decide if it is best to play a little loose or to play tight in these types of games.

Definitely a good bankroll builder for me is what I feel like so I would like to improve my game significantly in these games. So far I have 'almost' bubbled in one but I managed to not have to push at the end thanks to someone else doing that for me. Bubble play is weird according to return so it almost isn't worth it to call an all in on the bubble since the payout is the same once in the money.

Anyway, if someone could maybe show me a few profitable strategies to these games I would really appreciate it. Thanks! :D

alittlepoker

alittlepoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont play many of them any more but when i did it seams like players played tight much like live poker in these games play good hands only. Once you get short its tough getting back in the money and other players know it blinds go up and you start getting push around good luck with them.

21sam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plus is when you gather triple stack you may relax - you almost won (if match does not last too long). Minus is you never win much here and not learn to play short tables and heads up's.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In my experience, how tight or loose you should play these depends heavily on the table dynamics. If you have several loosefish at the table, particularly the kind who limp-call any pre-flop raise then get spewy post-flop with TP weak kicker or 2nd pair, tighten up your range to premiums only because they will be gone soon. I've cashed in a number of DoN's at tables like these without playing a single hand, generally they won't take long at all.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you're at a table full of rocks, you have to start stealing blinds in position in unopened pots with less than premium holdings to stay ahead of the blinds. If you're raising against rocks, they will usually just fold but if you get three-bet shoved on then you know they have something.

The biggest mistake I see people make in these on the bubble is getting impatient and calling all-ins for most or all of their stacks with hands like weak suited Aces or very low pairs. You should be very reluctant to call all-in's on the bubble, you want to take maximum advantage of fold equity and this isn't the way to do it.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Survival - you have to balance your chip position always. The strategy is just to be on the upper half and so awareness of position chips is a must.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TIGHT!! The person with the most chips wins the same as 5th place. hffd200 is 100% correct. Just survival.

Top 10 Games