Do you think satellites are a waste of time

pokertoi

pokertoi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should i just stick to money tournaments, or are satelites worth wile to get to the big money

I don't think they're a waste of time at all, actually they can be very helpful. Before Black Friday I entered a 2 dollar satellite on FTP for the double deuce tournament. I went on to win the 22 dollar entry for the game. Long story short, I finished 75th of 11,314 players for 380 dollars :)

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was a regular player, I used to love sattelites, especially at the smaller poker rooms. Sometimes there are more than one seat available, so you don't have to finish first. I have seen too many people crash out of this type simply tryin to take it down.
Another plus is that usually the field is a lot less and is a good way into bigger events without spending too much of your BR.
Qualifying for bigger events I believe allows you to play your own game with much more confidence, at least it did me.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, i think they are a waste of time. You can simply check this by measuring all the time you spend on satellites, and you'll find out that in all that time you could have gotten more money in other activity. However the advantage of satellites is that you practice playing tournaments, and the mechanism of tourneys is the same in all, what differs are the players.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satty's have revolutionized tournament poker. nough said

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No doubt that free satellites are very hard to win. Anyway they are for free you wont loose anything.

Other satellites is depending on buy-in for satellite versus buy-in for the main event.

It is a good way to join a main event.

R

rzepa1881

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its good oppurtinity to win exprnsive ticket for less.. Last week i won for 0,20$ a ticket to big 2,20$ and i did a payed place on this tournament and incerased my bankroll :) thumbs up, satellites r cool

S

SinkieCon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of satty's and I can safely say that you'll earn more chips playing them than normal tournament, reason being is that as people have said the play is so soft, if your a tight player try and loosen up a little, play hands like JK KQ A10 and maybe A8 or A9. I mostly play the Sunday Storm hypers which ARE SUPER SOFT and are a great way to make some Tournament $$. I also now and then play the Sunday Mill tournament satty's which some people will say that they are just gamblnig which is true but in the early stages just play Tight ABC poker then loosen up middle stages and you'll get a lot of chips.

I also think playing the higher satty's are better as they WANT the ticket and you can exploit them steal blinds better from what I have seen, as I've played a few high satty's by getting through the rounds phases. But hey, everyone has their own opinion about them.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel there very worth it. I just wish the sites would give more love. Seems like certain people get favor. Maybe cause they buy in 10 times. I dont know but worth it. Good luck.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i don't think they're are a complete waste of time, the games tend to be a lot softer and it's a great way to gain entry to big money tournaments if you can't afford the BI directly due to not have a big enough BR.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes, i think they are a waste of time. You can simply check this by measuring all the time you spend on satellites, and you'll find out that in all that time you could have gotten more money in other activity.
This ^ may be your experience but it is hardly a representation of how it is for all others. Personally I'm pretty sure my lifetime ROI in satellites is pretty decent (I'm sure it's higher than my MTT ROI).
However the advantage of satellites is that you practice playing tournaments, and the mechanism of tourneys is the same in all, what differs are the players.
This last line here is also incorrect. Satellites play out much differently than a typical tournament & is likely the reason why they're so profitable for some players. (in a nutshell, satellites are about survival, whereas tournaments are about chip accumulation).

didem95

didem95

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This last line here is also incorrect. Satellites play out much differently than a typical tournament & is likely the reason why they're so profitable for some players. (in a nutshell, satellites are about survival, whereas tournaments are about chip accumulation).

Well, FTP satellites surely are but not the PS ones. When you have to get into 1 - 2%, survival won't do you any good. In my experience, if you don't enter most hands and be all-in trigger-happy, you fall behind so much (those in the qualification zone have 20x the chips) that you might as well just quit. I'm relatively new tho so I might be missing something here.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
also at Stars there's all kind of satellites.
Obv a winner takes all needs another strategy than a satellite in which 1/3 of the players win a seat.

Overall, if you can't adjust your strategy to the kind of satellite, indeed satellites are a waste of time.

If you make the correct adjustements tho, they can be very profitable.

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a tournament player, so I shouldn't really give my opinion.

Based on what I've read from you guys, the value of the ticket won is easier to earn than earning the price of the entry. If this is the case, then I would probably take this avenue to get into tournaments.

I should probably get some experience in doing so, anyone recommend a 'softish' tournament for a relative novice? (Full tilt by the way)

A

annvr71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can bild up your bankroll even when you play only freerolls
and small buy in's
my husband plays only that and we are going on vacantion every year
from his profit

E

erlanditas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should i just stick to money tournaments, or are satelites worth wile to get to the big money
Satelites is good to get the big tournament ticket with low BR like 50$ , you can win 215$ sunday million ticket from 1.65$ in pokerstars!

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are satellites that are waste of time and there are those that are profitable in the long run.

If you have limited BR, concentrate more on money games. Expand your games to satellites if you accumulate a healthy BR.

L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play satellites at full tilt poker or poker stars. I have won a lot of satellites and took the money. Also I have played expensive tournements and that's something I can't afford without making a deposite. At the other hand I have lost some money at satellites. But for me that's the only opportunity to play tournements with a buy in beginning at 22$, and I am enjoying to play them, much more than Sit and Gos. All in all I like them and will try my luck there furthermore.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll are game of luck because if in tourney start you dont get more chips than avarege chip you cant go in top place

T

teplovoz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
satelite is more important tourney for win one of the best prize

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free Satellites are great for improving your game and get some experience.
The satellites paid I use when I have no money to get the desired tournament and try to get the satellite as it has a more affordable value to me, and I got a chance to play tournaments now could not play.

P

pokieman04

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thnk that satellites are a good ideal if you choose the right one! One where there are many players and it pays a seat for every 5 or 6 people in the tournament. .. If you do win a seat and then even minimum cash yOu have made a nice profit

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, i think they are a waste of time. You can simply check this by measuring all the time you spend on satellites, and you'll find out that in all that time you could have gotten more money in other activity. However the advantage of satellites is that you practice playing tournaments, and the mechanism of tourneys is the same in all, what differs are the players.

Sorry but this is inaccurate. Satellites have different payouts than standard MTTs - winner take all/top x% getting a seat etc are very different from playing the actual MTTs that the tickets are for...

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the satellites where you have to win like 5 satellites just to play in the real money tournament. But depending on which satty and what not, I think they are worth while, especially if you don't want to risk that much money. It's like parlaying a poker table in my mind lol

JPoling

JPoling

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like the satellites where you have to win like 5 satellites just to play in the real money tournament. But depending on which satty and what not, I think they are worth while, especially if you don't want to risk that much money. It's like parlaying a poker table in my mind lol
agree i hate those kind. but sattys can defientley be worth it. especially if you dominate in the limits youre in. then for sure win some sattys and take a big shot.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with Etherghost, (Why does it say banned under his name?). Satelites are great for freerolls and help people with a bit of knowledge build a bankroll. Easy way to money. However, If a person uses satelites to play their way int a tourney they cannot afford, or is not in there BR scale, they are a bad idea.

Saying that if the tourney is within their BR scale it can be a good way of earning extra T$ and build a bankroll through that. I hope this makes sense but I think you know what I mean.

Gl all..............:D :D :D

Poker Tells