Do you think satellites are a waste of time

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are selective about your satellites, fpp satellites can be more profitable in terms of tourney dollars made than the rakeback offered by the sites , for cashing in fpps.......scorp

ChipEaterMan

ChipEaterMan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I won a 7$ satty on bovada to a 44$ to a 325$ WPT satty.. won that and got the package.

Went to Montreal and took 67th in the WPT for 8400$ CAD

Yes sattys are nice.

wow, nice, congrats, i hope i can do that someday

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are not.
I have made a lot of $ off satellites actually, probably more then I have at anything else.
I think Im in the same boat:D

I try not to play in very many of them. You'll find most satellites they make you jump through a bunch of hoops to get to the big game.
really? Im on ftp and theres sats before every big (and small) game, ones you mention are if you are trying to get in a $1000 buying for 11cents- thats silly

Only problem with satellites is that they consume a lot of time, that some of us don't have.
really? many I play barely get 2nd tbl, sometimes 30-40ppl for bigger events, I find them quicker than a regular 9man stt too

I won a 7$ satty on bovada to a 44$ to a 325$ WPT satty.. won that and got the package.

Went to Montreal and took 67th in the WPT for 8400$ CAD

Yes sattys are nice.

big congrats, best $7 you ever spent I bet:)

and as I stated, you don't have to play the target event
I can spent $20 on 1-3$ buyins and usually wins few tics valued at at 5,10,26$, even $55
Im also been doing the hyper turbos lately
I did a post last week when I bought in a $33 game for a guaranteed $330 ticket, only 5 played I won in just over 2 minutes
did I play the $330 game- hell no
thats 100 more $3.30 buyins
only reason I could afford to play that was cuz I had a lot of tourney dollars already ( cashed out a $129 and 4 $55 tics recently too)

maybe if you're stuck on some smaller site cuz you're American, you may not get what stars/FTP offers

C

Cokatoo56

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play the satellites on ftp,
and have been winning MANY tics,
then I cash them out for tourney dollars
it has increased my bankroll greatly
I do play the odd game ($11-$26, but have also won $55-$330 tics)
if i played all the tics I won, I could be rich, or more likely broke

but really, satellites let you get into large buying games for a cheap price
very worth it in my opinion

That doesn't work. When you play on PS for instance, you win your sat, then unregister from the tournament PS auto register you, that $ doesn't go into your bankroll but into in separate tournament money account. That is money you can only spend into another tournament, it's locked. That sucks really, but that is how PS does.

In my opinion, you have to see the structure of the sat to estimate whether it is or not a good option. those sats where there are 300 entrants and one or 2 entries only to the $200 tournament are worthless. What are your chances ?
All you get is an entry, and no guarantee to even be ITM in the new tournament.
Those 6max SNG sats which award 2 entries are worthwhile. but don't play more than 2 or 3 of them or it will cost you as much as buyin directly to the tournament.

Those promotions we receive from PS (signed by negreanu lol) : qualify for the next EPT from $1 only. That is just BS !
Your chances of winning a sat are like 10-15%. Then you have to add another 10-15% chance to win the new higher buyin tournament, and etc until you finally could get your EPT ticket. It's like saying your chances are close to none. That applies to all sats that you have to win several to qualify for the real tournament.

mapt02h

mapt02h

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That doesn't work. When you play on PS for instance, you win your sat, then unregister from the tournament PS auto register you, that $ doesn't go into your bankroll but into in separate tournament money account. That is money you can only spend into another tournament, it's locked. That sucks really, but that is how PS does.

In my opinion, you have to see the structure of the sat to estimate whether it is or not a good option. those sats where there are 300 entrants and one or 2 entries only to the $200 tournament are worthless. What are your chances ?
All you get is an entry, and no guarantee to even be ITM in the new tournament.
Those 6max SNG sats which award 2 entries are worthwhile. but don't play more than 2 or 3 of them or it will cost you as much as buyin directly to the tournament.

Those promotions we receive from PS (signed by negreanu lol) : qualify for the next EPT from $1 only. That is just BS !
Your chances of winning a sat are like 10-15%. Then you have to add another 10-15% chance to win the new higher buyin tournament, and etc until you finally could get your EPT ticket. It's like saying your chances are close to none. That applies to all sats that you have to win several to qualify for the real tournament.

Did you hear about Maratik? :p

I agree that sattelites can be profitable - and there is a different strategy to normal MTTs. May actually consider adding them to my MTT schedule, cheers for the idea :)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This doesn't apply to everyone, but one reason many players might want to consider playing satties is that it's hard to know what the atmosphere in and around a major live tournament is like without experiencing one. I've never tried a lot, but got lucky and won a package. Didn't cash, but that trip remains far and away my top poker experience.

sunburnt2k11

sunburnt2k11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
super satellite and some smaller satellite are a waste of time if the end result is nothing. for example play money. those are just a waste of time. however if you have no money and play in a super satellite for $0.05 at the end, it might be a little bit of a waste of time but you are trying to achieve a goal of starting a bankroll so it's not a waste of time at all. you have to start somewhere.

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened so that the player won a satellite and later they won a lot of money for a small contribution so it is not necessarily a waste of time but you have to have some luck;)

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As u an cash out the Ticket in FTP , I play alot of sat. They give me opportunity to play a short tournament and win something and so its fun for me. Its more like MTT SnG . And it cost usully only a small buyin , so If I win the Ticket I can take part im tournaments that are often far out of my BR

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think satellites are a waste of time in pokerstars because they are mostly hyper turbo and it they end being a roulette. But in other sites like 888 satellites are a great way to win money. I usually play satellites to big buyin tourneys and I play to cash only, not for the win. And I make big bucks that way.

I disagree! PS has a wide assortment of freeroll satellites (NLHE, NLO H/L, PLO, HORSE, 8-game, stud, razz, badugi, etc.) which run everyday. Usually, 48-72 tickets get awarded in each of these. With one of these tickets you can play one tournament on Saturday and Sunday each week worth $2000 prize pool money. The top prize is usually around $300-$350. Number of places that get a pay out reaches close to 300.

So, basically if you can get a ticket, and I assure you that with a bit of poker knowledge and experience you can, you can make anywhere from $2.50 - $350 dollars per satellite game.

If you're above average you can build a bankroll very quickly. I'd say, not bad for a freeroll.

Attachments

• satellitegames.JPG
    satellitegames.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 199
nax

nax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satties are pretty cool overall. I've won some great tickets on satties, tickets for tourneys that I'd never buy in directly. I've even won some WCOOP tickets and I plan on using them this december! Wish me luck!

etherghost

etherghost

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satties are pretty cool overall. I've won some great tickets on satties, tickets for tourneys that I'd never buy in directly. I've even won some WCOOP tickets and I plan on using them this december! Wish me luck!

Good luck nax!!! I wish you lots of :as4: :ad4: !!!

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I avoid playing sats if I can. The reason why I don't like them is that they are (hyper)turbo's most of the time, which make those a bingo game. I hate those games. I rather pay directly then to waste more than that with sats.

I guess if you are good at playing hyper turbo's, it could be interesting.

H

hrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If satellites are with rebuys and addons - it is a waste of time, IMO. Donks will eliminate you with 83, because they don't care they can afford making rebuys how much they want.
I like to play without rebuys, I find these satellites cool.

sunburnt2k11

sunburnt2k11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just read a thread in the forum for the bovada freeroll and thought that i couldn't get into it but long behold i did! thanks cardschat's forum for putting that information out!

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If satellites are with rebuys and addons - it is a waste of time, IMO. Donks will eliminate you with 83, because they don't care they can afford making rebuys how much they want.
I prefer freezeouts too, but that doesn't mean rebuys are a waste of time. You do have to be prepared to make the adjustments (including but not limited to rebuying and adding on) that allow you to be +EV.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Rebuys are very soft and also have people alright gambling during the whole rebuy period, all of which can be very profitable spots to be in. The prize pool gets heavily bloated and It also gives yourself the room to make more marginal calls/plays yourself which you wouldn't take in a normal freezeout with the chance of chipping up and if it fails, you're still in the tournament and can just rebuy.

You shouldn't be playing rebuys in a tournament, if you can't afford to comfortably rebuy yourself a number of times. Saying donks will eliminate you with 83 because they can afford it is a rubbish argument, you just rebuy yourself. If they eliminate you with garbage after the rebuy period, how is this bad for your EV overall?

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its like sng's but without the late stage.prefer sng's if you are good in hu poker

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally don't like satellites very much because they deplete my bankroll and in order to get that money back you usually have to win many tournaments. Because a satellite is often a satellite to a satellite which is a satellite to a satellite and so on and so forth. So you have to win so many different tournaments to make your initial buy-in back.

I prefer to play tournaments for cash because I can immediately see my Bankroll get healthy again when I win. That's my own point of view though and I know a lot of people who are huge fans of satellites.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it really depends on you, e.g. whether you're wanting to put the time into playing them correctly, and whether or not your bankroll is able to bypass a sattie and instead go for the BI.

For sure, nominal play for a sattie is much different than a normal MTT. ICM can assist here.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
really depends which ones, but often they offer good value and lots of fish

dont think there are as many grinders as traditional formats

also the formats are less understood, ie if it only pays one player most people are used to 3 or more players being payed- so the icm is often dramatically different

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
really depends which ones, but often they offer good value and lots of fish

dont think there are as many grinders as traditional formats

also the formats are less understood, .........- so the icm is often dramatically different
good answer ^

Personally I used to like the satellites that had a fairly high number of players getting paid out (proportionally high... ie. 1 in 4 wins the ticket sorta thing).
Fulltilt used to be really good for those types of sattelites. It used to be quite profitable just playing mostly satties (this is when you could cash it in for T$'s too). There were a number of players who you could find in many of them (satty regs., lol.. but not joking).

These days I don't play very many at all but will enter some occassionally (ie. I won a $215 ticket in that $33 buyin satty on Stars this month for the Sun.Mill 8th Anniv.).

P

Pandaaaaa88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
satellites are good, but what u think about monster rebuys sat? I this is really waste of time

Poker Tells