Do you think satellites are a waste of time

B

BlakeBrown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never liked satellites because usually you will only have to get 1st or 2nd place to win... Personally if I bought into a $5 satellite and won a $100 ticket, I would rather just have the $100 and try to build up my roll until I can afford to play a $100 tourney

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I never liked satellites because usually you will only have to get 1st or 2nd place to win... Personally if I bought into a $5 satellite and won a $100 ticket, I would rather just have the $100 and try to build up my roll until I can afford to play a $100 tourney

Maybe on the US-friendly sites

On Stars they have some that payout many places... ie. 1,419 entries to SunMill ($215).

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have sufficient BR, then you can spend part of it to satellites. But if you have limited BR, then I think its better for money tournaments. You can add/replace to your BR if you win for money tourneys but not for satellites.

RCtheDabbler

RCtheDabbler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellites usually have alot of weak players (providing they are low stakes), if you enter a rebuy satellite you have to have some luck and alot of players see a picture card or suited connectors and just push. The hyper-turbo ones are also very luck based but overall satellites are good value for money and its a good way to build your bankroll as you can unregister and get T$ if you'd prefer not to play the tournament you got into.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Should i just stick to money tournaments, or are satelites worth wile to get to the big money
I often play a satellite for 1 FPP. And more than 10 times the cost of a ticket fell into 11 dollars, I cancel the registration, and using play money SnG. Each has its own strategy. If you get - go for it!

Diogo Jorge

Diogo Jorge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think satelites are a nice opportunity to entry in a tournments the cheaper way. If you have patient i think it is nice but if you havent... Never mind

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Waste of time

Imassuming its worthwhile. Once you pull off a Moneymaker lol. I have yet to try satellites but yea I think it's worthwhile when you don't got the big funds.

Maybe you will not agree with my opinion but I honesty think that if you are not extremely lucky he time spend on satellites is just wasted time.

All the turbo or even hyper-turbo satellites are mostly dependable on luck factor too much and even you are trying to play poker there are just to many loose and bingo players who are able to call re-raise you with almost any 2 cars and if there are 2 or more ....you wont be able make it profitable as one of them is goona hit something and waiting for premium hands is not possible.

Therefore I do prefer spending my time on playing the game i do like and i am profitable in making profit, despite the fact that i have to pay higher Buy-In !

Good Luck @Tables !

t

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe you will not agree with my opinion but I honesty think that if you are not extremely lucky he time spend on satellites is just wasted time.

All the turbo or even hyper-turbo satellites are mostly dependable on luck factor too much and even you are trying to play poker there are just to many loose and bingo players who are able to call re-raise you with almost any 2 cars and if there are 2 or more ....you wont be able make it profitable as one of them is goona hit something and waiting for premium hands is not possible.

Therefore I do prefer spending my time on playing the game i do like and i am profitable in making profit, despite the fact that i have to pay higher Buy-In !

Good Luck @Tables !

t

There are other satellites besides the hyper-turbos.

On more than one occassion (years ago, pre-BF) I built a $40 investment to over $250 (T$'s & tournament tokens) by playing in satellites (& step 18-man sng's). I've also seen many players who would regularly play satellites & run with a very good ROI in them.

I think they are great! You just need to be selective in which ones you choose to play in... ie. structures that suit you

H

HollyMichelle13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellites can be very profitable and most certainly not a waste of time. Just find suitable games. The skill levels are often very, very, very bad.

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
satellites worth it

Poker is not a one size fits all, I'm a recreational player who doesn't want to play 30 tourneys a week I'm looking to make one big score ,you can't do that with a small bankroll.I Love the one to three dollar satellites and from there I'll get into the bigger satellites.The beauty of satellites is you don't have to be the very best player to win.

knileh

knileh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play satellites, win a ticket to enter a super knockout bounty tourney. Knocking out players wins buy-in+ back so if you miss out on the money, you still got valueable experience and still had fun.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you adjust right to them they could be pretty good for your roll.
That's because there's still a bunch of players who don't realize they just have to play to get ITM.
For us, knowing we play to get ITM, we know we don't have to win loads of chips.
We just have to avoid losing alot of them and adjust to which ranking we have compared to the numbers of seats awarded.
Considering our stacksize to the stacksizes of the remaining players, with a little counting/math we can easily recognize if we can fold ourselves ITM or on the other hand maybe have to gain some more chips to get this seat.
Important to remember tho, is that you're not playing for first but just playing to get through the bubble.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm wondering out loud to all of you....how much of an edge do you have to have vs. the satellite field to compensate for the risk of not winning and the extra rake and tip?

Let's assume you KNOW you are going to play a $1,500 bracelet event. You flew down for it, you're gonna play. But you'd LIKE to try to satellite in.

you could enter the $165 STT to win your seat, but only 1 player is paid out of 10. If you are average with the field, you should win 1 out of 10 times. so you would pay $1,650 plus a tip ($50?) to "win" that seat.

obviously, that would be a bad idea unless you just REALLY want to play the satellites for some fun, or to kill time, or loosen your nerves before the big event or whatever....then you essentially pay a $150+$50 fee to have the thrill of winning your seat...while taking at least some small risk that you might go on a terrible run and not win your seat.

But let's say you are twice as good as the average satellite player, meaning you should win 2 out of 10 or reduce down to 1 out of 5. Now you've paid $825 plus tip ($50?) to win your seat...but still taken some risk. That would probably be a reasonable deal.

But, how many among us can honestly say we're twice as good as the field? most of us will fall somewhere in between average and twice as good....then you account for variance and I'd venture a guess that if you can't afford the event, you probably can't afford the satellites either (because of rake and tip) unless you are a STT expert, or significantly better than the field.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that said....I still play satellites all the time because I like them, and I'd guess I'm somewhere between average and twice as good as average...so it is a small money maker for me.

memiie

memiie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion, i thinks satellite is the best way to practice for 10,000 hr.

billy198702

billy198702

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sattelites are well worthed it I just see it as a regular MTT and try to cash out .

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Should i just stick to money tournaments, or are satelites worth wile to get to the big money

Play in satellites is not necessary, if you easier to buy in to the tournament itself, rather than spending time on the passage of qualifiers. For example, if you earn an average in the cash game $ 40 an hour, but the game in five qualifying rounds will take you about 6-10 hours, you immediately profitable buy-in $ 200 in the main tournament than playing in satellites.

B

bloodspila

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been hit and miss with satellites.. Ive won into some pretty big tourneys, but then never cashed in those big tourneys. So personally not good for me, but atleast I had the chance for a big cash I guess..

billy198702

billy198702

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been hit and miss with satellites.. Ive won into some pretty big tourneys, but then never cashed in those big tourneys. So personally not good for me, but atleast I had the chance for a big cash I guess..

But the fact is you did got into some big once and not cashing means the player field was better than you , or you had an off day , bad hands streak , ecc...

And like PS you mostly need to win 3 tournaments what is allot but at the end I need to agree that you just need to bring your a game to every tournament sat or not than you mostly get profit from sat 2 .

I would def try skip hyper turbos since there a lottery mostly

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im sure if you ask chris moneymaker about satelittes he would be happy to tell you they arent a waste of time seeing how he won his way to the wsop off a satelite.
I will generally play the satelites in the sunday 100k every week.
Satelites are great for people with minimal bankrolls to be ablt to have the opportunity to play into some big money tournaments.
Right now bovada has some great satelites running to the BDPO eventwhich is a 450.00 buy in 300k guarantee tournament.
So no I dont think at all they are a waste of time.

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the tournament you satty into is outside of your bankroll, then chances are you will not be at the same level of play as your opponents. It's fun to take a shot, but not necessarily +EV. I play sattys on Carbon, because most of them give out tickets that you can use in any game including SNGs. I use them on DON SNGs to reduce the variance. I've noticed that sattys can have a lot of overlay, so that can make it a +EV game. Like everything else in poker, whether they are worth playing depends on your situation. =)

A

avjul66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your situation makes it worth or not .If your bankroll is small it´s a way of trying to get in the big bucks tournaments .
But like anything in poker it all comes down to personal decision

radman

radman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think from a bank roll stand point. It is the way to proceed. Your getting into a higher dollar tourney for a fraction of the buy. yes you loose some but over all one should stay on the positive side. One thing also play small dollar satties might be a way to im prove ones game. With the entried being the payoff in the end.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play only free or very cheap satellites, and it can be profitable, for example satellite for big little tournament at FTP.
i dont want to pay big ammount for possible chance to play somewhere else, and specially not for satellite for other satellite....for other satellite.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree! PS has a wide assortment of freeroll satellites (NLHE, NLO H/L, PLO, HORSE, 8-game, stud, razz, badugi, etc.) which run everyday. Usually, 48-72 tickets get awarded in each of these. With one of these tickets you can play one tournament on Saturday and Sunday each week worth $2000 prize pool money. The top prize is usually around $300-$350. Number of places that get a pay out reaches close to 300.

So, basically if you can get a ticket, and I assure you that with a bit of poker knowledge and experience you can, you can make anywhere from $2.50 - $350 dollars per satellite game.

If you're above average you can build a bankroll very quickly. I'd say, not bad for a freeroll.

I agree Ps got a lot of freeroll sat and a lot of sng sat

Poker Tells