Do you often try to provoke your opponent to bluff?

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, not often! Usually this works against aggressive players by the open draw on the river I can check (if they do not have a down show) they usually bet!

fosa17

fosa17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of doubt and reality, sometimes yes, sometimes no, there is no answer to that question

S

Superhansi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With good hands its always fun to provoke and see the opponent try to bluff you.

Sabrina Mix

Sabrina Mix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes because it can be tilt and thrill and gg :)

sequoia

sequoia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have a good hand and depending on my opponent I can try to trap him.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an important lesson that I learned from Erick Lindgren some years back. Always give them a chance to bluff at it. I've been doing it ever since. Sometimes I check to the pre-flop raiser to give them a chance to make a continuation bet. One of my favorite things is to bet the flop and the turn before giving my opponent a chance to bluff at the river. The beauty of it is that most players won't bluff half or two thirds of the pot, but will instead bluff off all of their entire stack.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, how else am i gonna get all the oppents chips? ;)

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: that's what it's all about, getting your rival or villain out of control, the game is very psychological...

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I try it all the time, if my opponent wants to give me chips, who am I to refuse them? people are creatures of habit, and once you can Identify their habits, it is so easy to beat them, that is why I keep notes on some players.
Only 2 days ago I came upon a player I had faced in the past, and my only note on him was "loves to bluff". holding pocket Queens in my hand he raised pre-flop, I called, flop came 3/4/8, I checked, he bet, I called, Turn dropped a 9 so I checked, he bet, I called again, the river was a bit dangerous as it dropped an Ace so I checked again, He pushed all-in.
Now my first reaction was to fold immediately, but when I checked his note I had on him, I called and lo and behold he was playing J/10 suited, He had made a flush draw on the flop and was determined to complete it but when it ran out and he had missed, he knew it was the only way he could win.
Betting on draws is all good and fine, but you need to be careful if they miss, I might have been a little bit more suspicious if he had bet about a pot sized bet hoping to get a few more chips out of me, but an All-in shove was a bit over the top and at the time I felt like "oh well, I would have called an all-in pre-flop, so why not call now" attitude and I doubled up considerably.
bluffing is fine against a player who desperately wants to remain in the game, but he caught me at the wrong time and I was in the Who Cares! mood.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

pribalt49

pribalt49

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not worth provoking to bluff, you need to play on the card and bluff only when you have 2-3 times more chips than your opponent.

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So how exactly did you provoke him ? by cecking a flop? after flop he was commited? since he payd 2000 chips by the end of it he woud pay 800 for the turn no matter what. just an opinion.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are out of position here, and that means your best move is to check/call against your aggressive opponent who "loves to bluff". I think the way you played the hand is precisely how you should always play it... except we should never do anything 100% of the time, its good to stay a bit unpredictable. :D But in general, when OOP we should c/c more.

If we reverse the player positions, we'll be able to see what our opponent does first. If they check, do we bet? If they bet, do we just call and trap, or should we raise?

In position becomes a bit more complicated simply because our decision now depends on what our opponent does. But when we're OOP, I think it is quite normal to play hands exactly how you played it here against aggressive opponents. Why would we bet the flop and scare off our victim? Just check and see if they might be willing to hang themselves. :D Well played!

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not often, but many times I do it without intention, although lately it is something that I have been doing very often and consciously because I have seen some things when I play and I say I should try to do "x" to see if it works

G

goforthenick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am not getting value from a good hand then yes.

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends if I already know several hands. If sometimes 3bet is the best option

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey! Yes, it turns out that I often provoke my opponent to bluff, but then I start to act aggressively, re - raise to his raise and the opponent often folds, thanks to this I take the chips, increasing my stack, and then according to the situation. Poker is a game of skill and luck!

soLdaTeS88

soLdaTeS88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I often try to get my opponent to bluff to get more chips out of him.

U

UberPokerFan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, The best opportunity is when I'm out of position and heads up.

Artur22277

Artur22277

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I often try to provoke opponents to bluff.Especially when I have strong cards