Do you go all in close to the bubble?

The Monkey

The Monkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like a lot of players, myself included, actually tighten up around the bubble instead of going all-in in order to try and guarantee themselves a spot in the money.

that being said however, also being aggressive on the bubble can be a good thing considering that a lot of people tighten up. I have read and heard that you as a player want to do the opposite of what other people at the table are doing. If they are playing tight you want to open up your play and vice versa.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL!
Calling into a multi-way pot when you have just 1BB left afterwards...???

What could be the reason to do so ???

Your 1 BB is not going to allow you to force others out of the hand because
with several limpers the pot odds will allow anyone with any kind of draw or
overcard to go and chase it...

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in everygame of holdem there comes a time when you have no choice but to go all in.

its a difficult situation being so close to being in the money stages of the tournament especially if you are the short stack.

so being in the mid position every player has limped
you have 2bb left and you have JJ

do you A = push
B just call

ps i find that jacks are far worse than pocket 10s but what do you think???

Honestly when you are this short it matters more how many people are left til you cash than your hand. With a 2 BB stack you have no fold equity and will get called ALWAYS, so you have at least a 30% chance of busting out (and likely more if multiple callers)

If you are one player away from the money, I would likely fold. If however you are still far out 5-10 players I would lean towards playing the hand.

That being said, you should generally make your play at a pot when you have at least 5 big blinds so you actually have some fold equity. While you may not have as great of a hand as JJ, if you shove from late position you have fold equity, and with a decent chance your opponents will fold you may be able to chip up and keep grinding.

And even when called, any halfway decently playable p.o.s hand (credit to Alex Fitzgerald for the quote) will still have 30-40% equity vs the range that calls it.

Bubble strategy is very essential to making the most of your MTT sessions. I have an entire section on it in my MTT guide http://gripsed.com/mtt

Also have a nice video on the importance of being willing to play uber tight when you're right on the bubble of a solid payout

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe if I have a strong hand, it depends on how many players come into the respective round, each with his tactics.

Nanoldb

Nanoldb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ it seems to me a decent hand as to simply call and see what comes out on the flop, in that situation it is not necessary to take risks even if you have AA in hand

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
JJ reaching the bubble and few chips could push, but neither would be wrong to pass and wait out the bubble

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unfortunately yes. And usualy I lost the hand even if a have wery strong cards.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do it sometimes with AA, KK and I loose with it very often :)

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion all in is the only option:):):)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like a lot of players, myself included, actually tighten up around the bubble instead of going all-in in order to try and guarantee themselves a spot in the money.

that being said however, also being aggressive on the bubble can be a good thing considering that a lot of people tighten up. I have read and heard that you as a player want to do the opposite of what other people at the table are doing. If they are playing tight you want to open up your play and vice versa.

This says it well. Most players tighten up (or at least second guess all-in shoves and all-in calls) near the bubble. I think it really comes down how you assess your chances of progression without this all-in. If you feel like the players are on a higher level than you, or the blinds are soon going to kill your stack - then why not go down fighting with an all-in? If you are deeper stacked, or see yourself as a stronger player at the table: then it makes less sense to risk chips when you don't need to; an argument could even be made for folding any hand because you know you can outplay them under later circumstances (with less risk to you).

So I guess for me, it more depends on the situation. More than just what two cards I happen to be holding. It also includes how I view myself to the other players at the table and my assessment of my realistic chances. Furthermore, what is my table image? If I have been playing tight so far (and others observe this), then perhaps I can force everyone to fold by shoving all-in. If I appear to be a maniac (to the other players), then I can expect to get more callers from a shove: this might be a good thing! If I have AA, then I don't mind getting more callers to contribute to my potential winnings, but naturally I'll also be happy to just win the pot right there.

iWin210

iWin210

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm the big stack then yes I do alot with suited connectors or ace high depends on the spot I'm in. I do this to pick up the blinds. If I'm short stacked I'm shoving mostly good hands like pairs or AK AQ AJ. But I will shove a A5 A6 depending on my position. If u don't feel they're strong go all in.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to only call every time I get close to the bubble, but remember that it is not only the decision to call but in order to do this you must already have a good amount of chips won, otherwise you get desperate and start to play wishing luck and often luck may not be on your side ;)

heeyjean

heeyjean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you get caugh in such situation, maybe you're playing wrong early than you think.

Answering your question, i'd go all in regardless of my cards.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
being in that stage of a tournament the best thing is to pay without pushing since it is likely that they will pay your hand or bend you, putting you in a difficult position

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I think You have no choice ! All - in !

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in everygame of holdem there comes a time when you have no choice but to go all in.

its a difficult situation being so close to being in the money stages of the tournament especially if you are the short stack.

so being in the mid position every player has limped
you have 2bb left and you have JJ

do you A = push
B just call

ps i find that jacks are far worse than pocket 10s but what do you think???

With 2BBs, you should push any two cards. And, when are 1010 EVER better than JJ?

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try real hard not to pay attention to bubble so not to affect my play I want to play or not play a hand because of cards position and other player reactions without other factors creeping in. Already a lot to think about without that and don't want to miss a big hand or worse lose one because I think bubble will force others to fold.:icon_shak

zlajazlaja2

zlajazlaja2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with pocket JJ would definitely go all in, there is no reason for someone to come in hand with weaker cards and win, only all in resolves the situation ... so who can pay ... :p;)

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is really good hand and I would go all in even with 10BB

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All In

With 2 BB left you really don't have much choice but to go all in with cards that have a chance of winning such as KQ etc. As they say you can't win unless you play and Never UP never IN -- Got for it & GL to you all as nothing ventured nothing gained:D

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it is a freeroll i might but cash tourneys i dont because you can lose out on money you put in.

S

some39thing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are not playing too high limits for your bankroll, sure. Play for the final table, not to eek out twice your buy in

T

tigervball

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on so much! I like to see the flop if I can first and assess the situation, but any time you think you are leading with the short stack (depending on how short) is a decent time to go all in. IMO!

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short answer, no. But yes I have been burned so bad, and won so much going all-in on aces or kings close to the $..