Do you ever limp?

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate limpers,thats why i force them to throw out with 3-bet.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like limping against people who hate limpers. I wait for them to "make a stand" and then come over the top with KK+

N

newbypoker777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like limping so much. I think it's a losing move in general.
It's ve abuse-able and gives an insentive to your oponnent to play aggressively against you.

On the other hand, over-limping (limping after other players already limped) is much more reasonable with small pocket pair or suited connectors.

Wilfram

Wilfram

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other than occasional limps in the small blind when folded to pre, I would pretty safely say it's never okay to limp in MTTs. I don't know enough about cash games to know for sure, but I'd also confidently say that raising preflop is nearly *always* better than limping in terms of strategy.

To get into the small blind limp a little more, I think it's important to mix limps with both weak and strong hands into your range. It prevents having to fold to a large 3bet and losing more, yet at the same time allowing you to take a flop with a marginal hand when checked back to. If you have a premium and they check back, you can take a flop and will likely still be in the lead. When they raise your limp and you have a strong hand, you can reraise since a lot of their raising range is fairly weak, especially if playing an aggressive or looser player.

Someone feel free to correct my way of thinking or add to it. Fairly new to deep small blind strategy.

Last edited:
georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I seem to do better in tournaments when I can get into as many hands as possible and either steal pots or hit something big?
Do you have any certain range of hands you limp with?

I also seem to always build big chip leads and sometimes lose them.
Also I get bored in tournaments

I have been playing tournaments without deep stacks also. Does that make a difference?

Hello!
I love to limp, I love this movement. I can limp with every hand.I personally get bored with the long tournaments, sometime in the tournament, I somehow go to sleep and it all goes to hell (there is no going back, I'm making huge mistakes that cost me ranking in the upper places) !!!I at the start of the tournament
sometimes make a good chip stack, but there is a point where, I do not hit my cards in the usual "bingo"! After this miss, I'm going into a full tilt( most of the times). I think I've been getting used to it lately.:pcguru: LOL! I've played a few tournaments with deep stacks. They have their advantages over others, with more chips feeling more relaxed, more limp, more calls against 3 or more. And so on...:)

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is,I go limp with small pocket and marginalized...

phantomjiujitsu

phantomjiujitsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not big on limping, but if there is a time that I do limp, its early in a MTT while the blinds are low... basically I'm just trying to get lucky and bust someone who over values their marginal hand.

LenilsonF7

LenilsonF7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is very common among novice players and without prior knowledge. Sign of "Limp" most of the time will be detrimental to the stack as well never be profitable.

Give "Limp" is not prohibited, but our table opponents will always exploit us, however, in very special cases can, with aggressive loose players, where we are with a strong starting hand, we can start the largest number of chips for possible.

B

bmanxx22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To Limp or not to Limp That is the Question.

The key to every decision you make is knowing the table/players playing style. Once you understand that you can decide what the best option is.

Generally limping more often will end up hurting you in the long run.
Why?
- If you can't hit a flop your pretty much toast.

- Most likely there will be multiple people in the pot with unpredictable hands (poor bluffing conditions).

- VS aggressive players/tables you will either get bet off your hand or invest too much into a bad hand.

- VS tight tables/players you generally don't want to give tight players chances to see the flop. If you raise against tight players they will most likely fold, or if they call/raise then you know that they have a good hand. If you know their range since their tight they might be more one dimensional so its easier to know what they might have. So it would be easier to bluff them off on the flop

- I would never limp in a tournament because of all the reasons above. Also when blinds are low if you limp and win you probably won't win that much. When the blinds go up people start playing more aggressive. So now your risking more chips and people are more likely to bet you off, or put you in a bad situation.

The only time I consider limping is

- vs loose passive players (the calling stations/the chasers)
because if you raise preflop they will probably call and will call you down with anything if you bluff because you raised (your more likely to bluff if you preflop raise then if you limp) if you hit a strong hand they will pay you off.

- in a cash game
because the blinds don't go up
the goal is to win as many hands as possible while risking the least amount of chips.

-small blind
this one is optional because if your halfway invested if you still have the option to limp and there are lots of people in. risking the other half might be worth at least seeing a flop

kittykittykat

kittykittykat

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my personal poker rules is, "Never limp in out of position" This has served me well. It should be, "Never limp"

S

sanek18_1999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preferably, I play very patiently and play cards only when I'm sure. But when I don't have the patience,I start doing stupid things.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually don't limp, if at a table "full of limpers" I will some how join in. Then catch myself and get back to basics. 3X BB is my go to move.

Some tables will have a guy who luckily got chips, he will keep on getting lucky until someone takes a bite of him. Next thing you know, it is one more and out for him. I limp against someone like this, if you don't he always raises all in or almost all. If I limp it seems he doesn't feel threatened and I can see a dam flop.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The school of thought that says you should never limp, is like playing football and saying you should never onside kick, or you should never go for it on 4th down. When used in the right situation both plays can have major effects on the outcome of a game, same goes for limping. When done in the right situations can be a very effective play.

agrivion

agrivion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seem to do better in tournaments when I can get into as many hands as possible and either steal pots or hit something big?
Do you have any certain range of hands you limp with?

I also seem to always build big chip leads and sometimes lose them.
Also I get bored in tournaments

I have been playing tournaments without deep stacks also. Does that make a difference?
Maybe I dont get it, but I dont feel that raising only because you have a good hand, is the right call. They lose just the same. I rarely raise, it all depends on the feel of the table and how Im doing. I simply call others so they get over confident and make the mistakes. Im new, but I like the way I play. I do very well...Until last 2-3 tables. Then I go full retard, and as you well know, you never go full retard. What I mean is I stop playing my game and try to eliminate people asap. When I control this I win, and if I raise pre flop 10 times in a tourney then mark the calendar.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure I limp, up to aces.
most of the times to keep the BB in the game and make him attracted to the flop, when he is nitty as a granit rock.
I do limp small pairs sometimes, sometimes I raise, to keep the hud's confused.

But that's said enuff....:five:Oh and I forgot, I limp behind, if somebody limped to protect the pot against stealing :)

Last edited:
MaxMarauder

MaxMarauder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the players at the table. Have been at tables where a 4 or 5 BB bet sets off a series of all in shoves. After a few times of this garbage, I'll limp and then be more aggressive after the flop.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have a tight table and you have confidence in your skills, limping can be good in the early levels of a tournament. I feel it is a good way to accumulate a stack early.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

I will limp with small pocket pairs and Ace - rag suited. Other wise I try to limp into pots.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small or mid pocket pairs. Suited aces or 9-10 or something like that.

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely do it but if i find a good spot to limp i do it, with low pocket pairs or a flush/straight project.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping can be used as a trap, but only if you improve your hand or if the villain does not improve his. That is why I say that you, in doing so, are subject to the risk of earning little or losing much.

Last edited by a moderator: