Not open for further replies.
jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love how everyone falls in love with this hand. They don't necessarily bet it up but they are hesitant to fold it and usually end up with TPTK and that is not a big money hand in a cash game. That is a second best hand in a stack off cash game.

T

tomnovember

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I even fold AA preflop sometimes. esp. when there are 3-4 players going allin and I am just a step left to the money pool

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not shortstack like 10bb, try to see flop. If you dont hit flop you have just A high...

Regarding to preflop play, AK is strong preflop but its not that hard to beat at all... against every pair you are coinflipping (besides AA, KK) against any other 2 cards (QJ, 85, whatever..) you have around 65% to win.. so easy to get beat...

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I even fold AA preflop sometimes. esp. when there are 3-4 players going allin and I am just a step left to the money pool

There are very few situations where u should fold aces pre. All in pre with aces is the best possible hand and it's money in good every time. It is true that ur odds are lower of winning if there are 3-4 people all in. But the money is still getting in good. The ONLY situation where I never fold aces pre, but there might be some crazy nits out there who will lay them down on the bubble deep in a tourney with a deep stack in a 4-5 handed all In. I wouldn't recommend folding aces pre ever. Since u will always be at a mathematical advantage

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should only do that in a DoN or a satellite, where you literally have nothing to gain from a massive chip gain. In a regular tournament, call that shit or even reshove.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll shove w/it if I'm short stacked. Otherwise, I will open w/the usual 2.5/3x BB raise. If I have several raisers ahead of me, I'm likely to fold unless I have a strong read. If my raise gets re-popped, I go with my gut or read from there. I don't like to go all-in with it regardless, but if short stacked I have to do it.

imafish

imafish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a SNG, with 20bb's or less, I am never folding AK unless in extreme bubble situations.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've folded it pre, but it's definitely on the rare side. Sometimes there are certain spots you know you're flipping but you can find a better spot. If I believe I have an edge in skill in the tournament and at my table I'm going to try and expose that and chipping up by out playing people instead of turning it into a flippament, that is if I can help it.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold it if I am raised all-in early on in a 10 man SNG. You know an AK is only 2/3 favorite against a 7-2 which is really nothing big. AK is only considered a monster because it dominates so many big hands however against a very loose player its not really that good.

The other situation where I would contemplate folding it is when 2 or more people are already all-in before me.

P

Pravesh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always min. Raise to see a flop and after the flop decide what to do. If you hit one of the two or both I make a continuation bet just to see if some one has something. If I get raised than I push. If I don't hit ill still make the bet and if I get raised I fold. It's careful but remember that it's online poker and you can't read your opponents so everything can happen.

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don = Double or nothing. I'm fine with folding premiums if you are assured a victory in an equal payout stucture (eg satty)

I'd consider that a mistake. You have AA and KK blocked off, you're flipping versus the tightest GII ranges, and doubling up or going home early will make your decisions WAY easier deep into the tournament.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, the good player notices who gets tight on bubble. They usually fold for a miniraise. The problem is that when I have big stack, I dont even notice the bubble. :) When I'm short stack, I can't afford losing chips with preflop raises. :/
When you're shortstacked just jam, because otherwise someone's gonna overjam behind you.

I mean like, seriously, look at the prize structure in most MTTs. 1st prize is like 50x the buy-in at least. Lowest place at the FT is still ten times higher than a mincash. There's NO ICM consideration that tells you folding to mincash is more profitable than taking a stab at the chips you need for a bink.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I folded AK a few days ago because it was a "raise, 3 bet, 4 bet and a call.

I was called a donkey for folding AK pre flop but in a 3 way pot with that action I could easily be dominated...

fan_diaz

fan_diaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded it several times today. I mean it's a great hand, but in double up SNG's, the play often dictates a fold with it.

But, yeah, as annoying as it can be to fold a hand that big, if facing a 3bet or 4bet or whatever, it might be a good consideration.

Indeed! Specially if they are off!

And then the flop goes AKK and you think "I KNEW I should have called!"

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If there are more than one player who go all-in I will fold with AKo, maybe I will pay only if my AK are suited, but if there is only one guy that go all-in I will definitely call him.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have folded A/K preflop in certain situations where I knew the oponets I was playing against.
I almost always certainly play them very agressively and more often than not commit myself to calling off my chips PF.
But in certain situations I have folded them.

A

aircasar9876

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you raise and are reraised, or you 3 bet someone and they come over the top than I would fold if its too much of my stack. Usually if they overbet raise all in I think they will have ak because you dont really want to see a flop....if they had aa kk then they would probably make a smaller reraise. Thats my 2 cents anyway. I think they say its the most overrated hand in poker. and its because a lot of people think it isnt foldable preflop. I dont think kk is foldable pre in almost every scenerio but one where first and last paying spot makes no difference...

I kid you not, i folded kk pre twice in 1 tourny and both times the guy shows aa...I only did it because top 150 got the same thing.

S

Skulldown1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's hard to fold AK pre-flop vs Amateurs because they go all-in with any A-low kicker.If you play vs pro and have like 2-3 all-ins before you it will be a lot easy i think.

Wolfpack43ACC

Wolfpack43ACC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always min. Raise to see a flop and after the flop decide what to do. If you hit one of the two or both I make a continuation bet just to see if some one has something. If I get raised than I push. If I don't hit ill still make the bet and if I get raised I fold. It's careful but remember that it's online poker and you can't read your opponents so everything can happen.

We need to rethink your approach at the table if you don't think you can read opponents online

MargoMardus

MargoMardus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes! If theres no other way.
Theres lot of idiots who go all-in in pre-flop hoping to get easy money!
Soo sometimes its wise just fold!Thous idiots are mostly lucky and they get "right" cards in the tabel.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes! If theres no other way.
Theres lot of idiots who go all-in in pre-flop hoping to get easy money!
Soo sometimes its wise just fold!Thous idiots are mostly lucky and they get "right" cards in the tabel.
If a retard is open-shoving half of every hand he's dealt, you dominate a bit over 1/3 of his range, you're comfortably ahead (60/40) of half of his range, you're flipping versus just a tenth of his range and you're dead to a grand total of 1% of his range.

So, when a retard shoves and you have AK, call. You're basically printing money.

You should never ever make a decision on the idea that someone might get lucky. You don't know that -- all you know is that when you repeat an action a very large number of times, random chance dictates that you will either make more money than you lose (+EV), or lose more money than you make (-EV). And against shovebots you get to repeat that action many many times until your consistently +EV call range leaves them out of money. ;)

Last edited:
MargoMardus

MargoMardus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont know are there something whit online poker system or what but mostly when i call i lose.Soo i better fold or at least waiting the flop first.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I was in a hyper turbo earlier and somebody shoved the first hand, I had AKo so I called. Villain turns over AQo and I take the pot. 2 hands later, somebody shoves and I had AKo again so I call. Villain turns over AQo again and again I take the pot. To add to the weirdness, in 3-handed play there was somebody who was clinging to life with less than 1 BB and he kept winning barely enough to stay alive, 6 times he turned over an inferior hand and it held up in the end. 74o vs. ATs was one of them.:confused::eek:

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in a hyper turbo earlier and somebody shoved the first hand, I had AKo so I called. Villain turns over AQo and I take the pot. 2 hands later, somebody shoves and I had AKo again so I call. Villain turns over AQo again and again I take the pot. To add to the weirdness, in 3-handed play there was somebody who was clinging to life with less than 1 BB and he kept winning barely enough to stay alive, 6 times he turned over an inferior hand and it held up in the end. 74o vs. ATs was one of them.:confused::eek:
Variance man. I've gone on epic heaters where I couldn't seem to lose a hand, whether it was ahead or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folding in Poker