Status
Not open for further replies.
ElPorito

ElPorito

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This^^^....probably my biggest issue right now. I know it's wrong, I know it marks me as a fish, but I still do it hoping to score big post-flop. Not as much now, but it's still a problem for me.

Last night I was in an MTT with 88 in middle position. Extremely aggressive player earlier puts in 5x BB bet. I call. Everyone else folds.

Flop comes K7Q. He bets. I call again. Turn is a 3. Now what? We know he's going to fire again, there are two overcards on the board that he may well have paired, in which case there's no way he's folding even if I shove. He may have nothing but air, since that's the way he's been playing, but since I just limped in like a little puppy dog I have no way of knowing in this hand. I fold after he bets, with the letters CHUMP stamped on my forehead along with a picture of a fish.

Since I wasn't in late position pre-flop, and facing a bet from someone in early position, the best thing to do would have been just to muck it. In the same scenario, if I called and the button shoved, now what? Just wasted a bunch of chips making the initial call.

What did you have? :)

basically as long as there is not a double raise before me i like to try and see the flop. But u alwasys gotta be aware especially in ring games everyone likes to see pocket pairs prefop and if they get a set ur in for it

I agree. Specially in cash games you need to know when your slick is no good. I tend to play AK very agressive in ring games or I might even limp to see a flop in the blinds. Depends on the table but I rather have a well hidden monster hand in the blinds (if I hit) then being crushed by deuces.

Of course... In tournaments when i'm with a lot of chips and re-raisers with pairs betting i fold.

If I'm stacked in a tournament and a shorty pulls a move it's a snap call for me with AK or raise to isolate the player. If he wins the hand he's still short enough to get it a few hands later. Specially if seated somewhere to my right.

every hand pre flop can be foldada depends on the situation

THIS including A's in an MTT :)

L

lolipedofin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think sometimes I overplay AK too much, but so far, I think AK has been pretty good to me.

I like AK because it is a very rarely get dominated. The only hand that can dominate you is KK or AA, but even against KK, you still have 30% equity preflop. Not to mention that with holding AK, you effectively slashed the chance of any your opponent to hold an AA or KK combo. When you compared that against QQ or even KK, the likelihood of your opponent to have a dominating pair is higher than when you are holding AK.

I do remember folding AK once or twice, It was the first hand in a fivty50 sit n' go, I was in the midpost holding AKo, blind was 15/30. and UTG all of a sudden just shoved. After tanking for a while, I folded, my reasoning because with only 45 dead chips in the pot, and AK against any pocket is not a perfect coinflip, calling won't be profitable.

The reason I tank is because from my experience, those who raised/reraised big, are AK/AQ holder who doesn't want to play postflop if they missed, and just want to get into coinflip ASAP or to get others to fold their hand....

I also like to call with AK over the top of 2+ shoves, because my reasoning is, if these guys behind me held pocket pairs, then with 1/3 or less price to call, I get 50-50 chance of hitting TPTK to triple up or more. Which happened once, I called with AK over 2 or 3 players holding hands like 77, TT or JJ, IIRC, and I flopped an A to send them all to rail.

The other extreme also happened, I called on top of 3 players, one was holding TT I think, and the other 2 had something like AJ,AQ,KQ, etc. effectively stole my outs, and the TT eventually held up.

I had my bad run with AK, but all in all, I don't love but don't hate AK as well. Yes it is a drawing hand, but it is by no means a weak hand.... you just have to see the situation . In my opinion you can never win a tournament by folding AK, yes you might have to win 3-4 coinflip with AK to win a tournament, but unless your target is mincash, you do have to stick it in with AK most of the time. It is sick to see your AK beaten by ducks, but I know I had more agony with JJ and QQ preflop against dominating pair.

That's my 2 cents, please do tell me if this way of playing is actually my leaks.

M

madethegrade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hu im getting it in alllllllllllllll day yo! 6 max probs not

Juanes1913

Juanes1913

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A-K suited is a very good hand but no to go push all in or call an all in.
I always prefer to see a flop and then if I flop something why not all in

italiano

italiano

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK preflop is a good hand! it has to do with this hand is trying to see the flop cheapest way possible! If the flop comes A or K can keep betting quietly but if the flop had tradido J 8 or other cards that do not serve you fold your AK. In case you have AK pre flop and you throw ALL-IN must pay forever. You can lose these last times but overall you win.

Paragon

Paragon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the player, if it's a tight player then he probably will have you beat, however if its a player who plays around 20-25% of hands you should have him dominated with an AT-AQ type of hand. So in reality, it all depends on the opponent.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look I was taught you never fold AK pre-flop but lately I have lossed every hand all in pre-flop with this. It doesnt matter what the other guy has my AK is taking a beaten. Last encounter was AKsuited versus QJoff of course he hit the J and eliminated me. Do you fold it ? or just try to see the flop ?

Hi, I fold sometimes AK pre flop. There are situations like you think that somebody has AA or KK. You are sitting on BB, before you, is raise, 3bet and for example 4bet and what do you think, AK is good in that action?

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I fold sometimes AK pre flop. There are situations like you think that somebody has AA or KK. You are sitting on BB, before you, is raise, 3bet and for example 4bet and what do you think, AK is good in that action?
4bet isn't always KK/AA. In fact if villain is decent it probably isn't -- in most cases you can profitably 4bet at least JJ+/AK for value, and then you can balance that out with 4bet bluffs, usually with Axs.

S

shannonknowles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will fold this hand in early position on a aggressive board early on in a low stakes MTT online

Lets say you 3 bet and the blinds are 10/20, you will get several limpers behind you as 60 chips isn't respected at these low stakes MTTs and in a multiway pot with this hand ain't always the ahead post flop

Would this be right play?

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will fold this hand in early position on a aggressive board early on in a low stakes MTT online

Lets say you 3 bet and the blinds are 10/20, you will get several limpers behind you as 60 chips isn't respected at these low stakes MTTs and in a multiway pot with this hand ain't always the ahead post flop

Would this be right play?
TPTK Kings or Aces is ahead about 2/3 of the time against four people if no draws have completed -- slightly under half if there are completed draws. A flush or straight with AK is, in the vast majority of cases, the nuts.

S

shannonknowles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TPTK Kings or Aces is ahead about 2/3 of the time against four people if no draws have completed -- slightly under half if there are completed draws. A flush or straight with AK is, in the vast majority of cases, the nuts.

Thanks for this bit of information I will note it down..
So you wouldn't say folding in early position, early in a micro stacks MTT on a aggressive board is right?

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this bit of information I will note it down..
So you wouldn't say folding in early position, early in a micro stacks MTT on a aggressive board is right?
Honestly if the board is hyperlag and can call with worse (which is the case of freerolls and most micro tournaments I think), I'd just open-shove. Regardless no, I NEVER fold AK preflop in a loose dynamic in EP -- and really, given the opportunity to open AK, I never fail to do so in ANY dynamic from any position.

D

Demian151

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless someone who seems to know what they are doing shoves me (and sometimes not even then)... i don't think iv'e ever put AK down preflop. I could put it down if i was medium stacked vs. medium stack if 3 bet or shoved. but if someone was obviously bullying his stack or a short stack was getting desperate... i think id welcome big slick for the call no matter what. AK doesn't get me into much trouble though. i have no problem tossing it after the flop.
"I will not overplay AK. I will not overplay AK. I will not overplay AK... ALL IN!"

Skull_Sniper

Skull_Sniper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very rare occasions, but to shove/reshove when I have a stack I'd probably lay it down. If i'm short or medium stacked i'd still go ahead and put it in there.
Exactly, you have to pick your spots. There's no reason to call off a bunch of chips when you can wait for a better spot, but if you're low stacked and there's action you might as well go for it. I folded AK at a final table. there was a big raise then three bet (all in) and I just folded, and it was the correct fold. I would have lost my entire stack, but I was still in second place with an extra cash place.

J

jmonking67

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Genreally folding AK preflop is a loosing play. But if you have a raise, 3bet, 4bet all-in and a call, you should fold (extremely likely that you're AK is dead to AA/KK, also likely that someone else has AK and already has 2 of you're outs against QQ/JJ)

mamutmamut

mamutmamut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I folded them yesterday! haha! I was mid-stack and there was two all-ins before me. Losing this I would have been out of tourney. So I folded and was glad I did it because the pot won guy with Q-trash when he made a pair on the flop. If I had bigger stack, I would definitely call (If calling their all-in would cost me max 2/3 of my stack).

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wouldn't usually fold AK pre flop tbh. if the stacks are deep i wouldn't raise to get it in might just call or 3 bet with the intention of folding if the action got crazy. so i suppose then i would, but only early on when the blinds are really low, when they get even half high then no i wouldn't fold AK unless it was like a 3 way all in and i was sure someone had Aces or Kings. totally contradicted myself in this haha.

blackplanet

blackplanet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I'll ever fold AK in a situation where I need to double up or am fighting the clock for chips when blinds go up.. I can fold ak to a reraise in late position or a 3 bet in a cash game but in a tournament if you lose with ak you either played it wrong or got unlucky. I folded qq once and lost a chance at nearly 6k. So never fold premium hands since then in a tournament.. Just go with the flow you either get lucky or you dont..

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes at times when there is all ins and you have been seeing aces and kings losing a lot to mid to low pairs or maybe close to the bubble and it would be your whole stack,really depends on the feel of the game and whats winning but I wouldn't do it very much .

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the situation but I just went out of a tourny with it after debating whether to fold. I think I would fold or at least just call a low bet next time:

A loose player raised and I knew I had him beat or at least 50/50 so stuck him all-in (think he had QJ), but there was a tight player behind me that then put me all-in. I had to call, he showed the AA and took us both out.

My advice would be to fold it if there is a chance you are going all-in against more than 1 opponent, assuming you are in a relatively comfortable position in a tournament.

Last edited:
Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Happened to me again, we are in the money in an MTT 5 players left and 2 are already all-in. I surely cant be too much of a favorite so I fold. Turns out one had KQ but the other than 99. No K or Q came and the 99 won the hand, no ace came either so I would have been eliminated in the hand as I was covered. I managed to get up 2 more places in the MTT before busting so it was a great decision.

D

doctormud

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I once folded AK preflop, but only because i hit the wrong button,, :(

i guess it happens when your trying to do internet work while playing

muckaveli

muckaveli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the situation but I just went out of a tourny with it after debating whether to fold. I think I would fold or at least just call a low bet next time:

A loose player raised and I knew I had him beat or at least 50/50 so stuck him all-in (think he had QJ), but there was a tight player behind me that then put me all-in. I had to call, he showed the AA and took us both out.

My advice would be to fold it if there is a chance you are going all-in against more than 1 opponent, assuming you are in a relatively comfortable position in a tournament.

Lol @ I had to call

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

1bollywood1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
love AK but usually loose also . thats depend of ur stack / and the moment of the turn ( late or not).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folding in Poker