Do you ever call AK on preflop?

M

Maggio_A

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then what should I call preflop if not AK?

Maekz1999

Maekz1999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ofc.. I even raise it when I feel a good spot.

Y

yuurepoer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then what should I call preflop if not AK?

Most people would RAISE with AK.. the op wonders if there's ever a situation where someone would just call as opposed to raise ;)

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
okay, you can call with that rarely, in some special cases but rather raise

C

chinito2410

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are cards to raise or it even depends on what moment of the tournament these is to go to All in

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as an MTT player its more a question when do I not call, as its either a call/3bet/all-in depending on the situation. very rarely it be a fold.

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a cash game with fairly equal stack sizes I might call AK suited but not offsuit. I assume that the opponet has AA or KK. I'm a terrible cash player though :)

In an MTT it depends on the situation and a myriad of factors.

It's a tricky subject - books have been written on it:

https://www.splitsuit.com/ace-king-poker-book

S

satriyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
5 cards

I feel more comfortable seeing the flop. After all, the hand is made up of 5 cards and not just two, it is better to try to see the flop before raising, it is like seeing the big picture:rolleyes:

C

chinezu23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is almost always 3X bet. IF i'm the lower stack is all in.

AdonisPimenta

AdonisPimenta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only when I fell confidence to play it, cause an AK could destroy your stacks in a post flop that your opponent is the favorite to play it.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes

i like calling with Ak on the button or big blind depending on how many is involved in a hand. if its 3 or less including myself specially deep in a tournament id just call. disquising my hand and makes it very hard for them to know what i have

O

Oksana55

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
YES if I have one step to the bank

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK how many blinds have I got?
Deepstacked a call is favourable.
Ackward stack size close to money jumps or bubble. I ll shove...
Short stacks the hands play themselves...shove as well...

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
AK is a very strong hand but it is not unbeatable, depending on the situation of the player if you have to call, fold, reise, 3bet or even all in, you must evaluate the situation and as the diagnostics work, you must play the best so that the situation suits everyone, call, fold, etc.
:rock::D:confused:

Excellent !! I share !!

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Wow - no shortage of variations, making my head spin. 3-betting seems to be a popular option - with about 6 dozen caveats, and another 3 dozen variations.
In summary - you have to know your own game and as much about each of the other players games as possible - then pick the play best suited to the current situation. Just don't run out the clock working your way through all your options and you are good to go.

M

Maggio_A

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people would RAISE with AK.. the op wonders if there's ever a situation where someone would just call as opposed to raise ;)

oh, okay thanks for explanation. Because when I was reading this thread about its not that strong hand and so on :D I just started to wonder if some people are folding AK preflop :)

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

A pair of 2s can beat AK. Of course you can call with AK.

D

Donkmaster_Flex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I’m under the gun I usually do. In my casebit usually ends up with my raise Getting reraised, then someone else shoving and I get run out by their pocket 5s or something similar lol

F

frommelk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK gave me a strong hand. I almost always 3-bet with her. And based on the apponent, I can close the all-in

S

souza155

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my case, I analyze the timing of the tournament and how my chip count is, depending on how it is, I would easily let it go.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Just pay

AK is a mandatory 3bet for me in almost all cases... I might consider flatting if the opener is very tight, but even then, a 3 bet can take it down right there which makes it a worthwhile decision

the villain returns tre-bet, the Hero has a great hand and returns All In ... what the villain can do:driver: