Do you change something in your play if you not get any good hand long time?

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Are you stalling for a bubble and still waiting for a good hand, or starting to play with any two, anything else?

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes I change the strategy of trying to steal from regular players who are in the same strategy as I expect of a top pair and so I double my chips until I got that dreamed pair of AA or KK pair to go all in and lose to a pair of 22 or 7.8 off as always happens!

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play my normal range even if not getting any cards. Unless the blinds start getting high relative to my stack (ie under 15 BB), I just play my game and be patient. Under 15 BB I’m looking to shove open even with slightly less quality hands.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
look for spots to open pots in late position, to steal/re-steal, to squeeze, or to 3bet in position.

sometimes, when you're card dead, it's better to find spots to play than actual hands. plus, no one else knows you're card dead unless you're just folding constantly. so mix it up with some aggression, play post flop accordingly, and no one has to know you decided to squeeze with j2s on the button unless it gets to showdown.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
And i'm constantly changing the game. Rather, i just press buttons for actions randomly :D

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I am card dead and not playing any hands for a long time I will open up a little liter than normal. If its been that long people will give you more respect the 1st time.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The longer you go without getting cards, the tighter your table image will be and so you're less likely to be called when you do bet, so I tend to loosen up when I'm not getting cards. And conversely when I'm getting lots of good cards I'm conscious that I'm appearing loose so need to be prepared to be called lightly.

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is a virtue

When I’m playing cash in a ring game I’ll try to stay patient. No use in playing poor cards. If in a sit and go and it comes close to the end then you have to start playing much more loose same in a tournament situation

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If one can't get a good hand for a long time, then his stacks will be short, the only way to do is all-in as possible, win more or leave soon.

florestaftw

florestaftw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Are you stalling for a bubble and still waiting for a good hand, or starting to play with any two, anything else?

With poker I learned patience. with patience you can have good profit.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm not getting any cards, I just pretend that I am, and hope that other players don't catch on. LOL In other words... if you're not getting cards, don't just sit and wait for them to arrive!! If you've been folding for the last hour straight, then realize your image now looks like the "Rock of Gibraltar", and understand that you should be using this extremely tight image to steal more often!!! When you fold for an hour straight, and then raise... guess what almost all players are gonna do? Fold! Try it sometime, you might like it. :)

P.S. I see that some replies are talking about cash games, but realize that we're in a TOURNAMENT forum here. :) Cash game strategy is much different than tournament strategy is, my advice here only applies to tourneys.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As the blinds and anties grow you have the odds to open up your range.

If you sit and just wait for good hands you will pretty much blind out or end your tournament after 1 bad beat.

You need to stay active, pick good spots, and be aggressive.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kind of depends on how you define "long time".

Referring to tournament play, I don't play cash so hadn't thought about it in a cash setting.

While time is important, what dictates change for me how many bbs i have.

With 35bbs I am not making a whole lot of changes but at 12bbs and lower sure and its dictated by position and the preflop action of that particular hand. And if the situation is right i'll open my range of preflop shoves and calls in many places I may fold with a larger chip stack

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
tourney, the blinds will force me to open my range. Cash game, I just wait it out and get a little more aggressive on the button.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not change anything, I always follow the same strategy. Sometimes I can just take a break, and usually it helps the best.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Walk away and come back fresh..

If I haven't caught any cards for a long time, I'll take a mini-break, maybe one or two minutes. Walk around, have a bite or something to drink, not think about cards, and then sit back down and see if my "strategy" is working.
The "fresh break" comeback works occasionally, it's another way of "playing any two", for me.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Change your game strategy if you don't get a strong hand, you need to understand that there will be times when good cards won't come for a long time or when you won't catch your outs on the board, no matter how strong a player you are, you won't be able to win all the time, this is normal, this is poker, be patient.

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
while not getting any good hands, i watch the trend for my folded hands and adjust based on that. if i'm hitting flushes a lot and play isn't too aggressive i'll limp/open with suited hand. likewise for connected hands.have to adjust though, if u wait all day you wont have any chance of leading early thus also giving you less chance for victory.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
only aces

in small sit and goes i wait for good hand and try to get a stack built up ,then im able to throw a bluff or try a potential with a couple semi good cards, to many time iv gone all in with three kings to be beaten on river with the third river ace, so good luck.

A

alsorory

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes boring to not change your style if not getting good hands for long time

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Whenever that happens to me and I feel that I must change the way I play to win some chips, what I do is take into account how the rest of the players are playing, more aggressive? very passive? Is the tournament leader at my table? How many chips do I have? depending on what I see, I follow my instincts and take a risk or I still have a little more patience and I wait

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What can you do if you don't get good hands? I don't think there are any ways to change that. But even when you have a very good hand, sometimes you have to fold when you see the flop... If a good hand always allowed you to win, poker would be a very simple game)

I think big losses are due to stupid decisions, bad bluff, bad bet or stupid call, inattention or absolute lack of understanding of the opponents at the table.

You can't play only good hands, you can't sit and wait for them only.. You must be able to be flexible and learn to play hands of medium strength and not forget that you have a fold button ;)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands