dealing with anger

T

The Nuder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anger is something we do and we can do it in different ways. How you deal with it depends on how you're doing it.

There's little point in advising someone to "deal with it because if you don't it owns you" - you may as well advise them to levitate.

States are like filters through which we experience the world. Once you're in the state it's too late it's already shaping your experience.

Some unresourceful states build up slowly over time and you only notice when you're neck deep - too late. Some states are lightening fast like a switch being thrown. Once it's thrown it's too late.

If you experience a flash of anger it's likely that there's an external trigger - something you see, hear or feel that triggers the state - or triggers an internal experience (eg. something you say to yourself or visualise) that triggers the state.

So I would say if it takes 3 bad beats before you rage you have plenty of scope to deal with it before the switch flips. You're probably building the issue up to a tipping point.

Nothing comes with meaning built in - we have to create that ourselves - or accept what others dish up. You have to change the meaning of a bad beat. Yes it's crap but what else does it also mean that isn't crap. This is personal and depends on what / who you're angry at - is it your opponent, yourself, some other aspect of life etc. That's the meaning side you can work on.

But far easier is to work directly on the state before it happens. All states have characteristic physiologies. Angry tends to have tightness in certain muscle groups - it wont be the same for everyone. but everyone experiences differences in breathing when their states change.

If you start to review what you're actually feeling in your body when you're angry you'll get more sensitive to the onset of state changes. This makes it easier to take timely action.

The action to take is to change your physiology - think body posture, facial expression, muscle tensions etc. And relax your breathing - make sure you are breathing in your belly not your chest. Make sure the breathing has rhythm.

If you really want to help yourself look into some breathing exercises from something like yoga. I have a specific breath I can use to cut a state off. It's basically a full exhale and hold for as long as it takes just before I get uncomfortable than start breathing again but manage depth and rhythm.

The other thing you can do is investigate what your physiology and breathin is like when you're in a nice resourceful state and start to consciously adopt that when the bad beats start. You can directly alter your experience in this way.

It takes practice and patience but the ability to manage your state and make conscious choices about how to respond to the environment is what seperates you from your pet dog or goldfish. (if you have one).

M

Misdir

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can afford it,--you will find the higher limit tables will result in a much higher level of play.

C

ChipTowerz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol anger will cause you to play terrible, best thing to do is quit playing for the day and try to relax as much as you can.

i had took a long break from online poker for while and when i started playing it regularly all the time again my anger would get the best of me, i would complain about bad beats and luckboxs and all that, lol.. its best to just ease your mind, if you lose a lot in a day then take a few days off, maybe a week, heck even two weeks. thats what i do now, if im angry as h i just take time off away from playing and fill my mind up with other things and try to be peaceful then when i come back to the tables i do good! when im angry i like to just sit and look at my saltwater aquarium, its not a huge aquarium or nothin just still peaceful enough to look at and clear my mind , u know.. try that, but dont keep playing when angry, if u do play when angry play in micro tables. and dont let ur anger get the best of u,, goodluck

L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To make a brake dont help me because i have broken my pc due to poker gression and had a long brake, but next time i loose with unbeatable hands i am so angry. Especially in tourneys i want to win not in freerolls.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anger is something we do and we can do it in different ways. How you deal with it depends on how you're doing it.

There's little point in advising someone to "deal with it because if you don't it owns you" - you may as well advise them to levitate.

States are like filters through which we experience the world. Once you're in the state it's too late it's already shaping your experience.

Some unresourceful states build up slowly over time and you only notice when you're neck deep - too late. Some states are lightening fast like a switch being thrown. Once it's thrown it's too late.

If you experience a flash of anger it's likely that there's an external trigger - something you see, hear or feel that triggers the state - or triggers an internal experience (eg. something you say to yourself or visualise) that triggers the state.

So I would say if it takes 3 bad beats before you rage you have plenty of scope to deal with it before the switch flips. You're probably building the issue up to a tipping point.

Nothing comes with meaning built in - we have to create that ourselves - or accept what others dish up. You have to change the meaning of a bad beat. Yes it's crap but what else does it also mean that isn't crap. This is personal and depends on what / who you're angry at - is it your opponent, yourself, some other aspect of life etc. That's the meaning side you can work on.

But far easier is to work directly on the state before it happens. All states have characteristic physiologies. Angry tends to have tightness in certain muscle groups - it wont be the same for everyone. but everyone experiences differences in breathing when their states change.

If you start to review what you're actually feeling in your body when you're angry you'll get more sensitive to the onset of state changes. This makes it easier to take timely action.

The action to take is to change your physiology - think body posture, facial expression, muscle tensions etc. And relax your breathing - make sure you are breathing in your belly not your chest. Make sure the breathing has rhythm.

If you really want to help yourself look into some breathing exercises from something like yoga. I have a specific breath I can use to cut a state off. It's basically a full exhale and hold for as long as it takes just before I get uncomfortable than start breathing again but manage depth and rhythm.

The other thing you can do is investigate what your physiology and breathin is like when you're in a nice resourceful state and start to consciously adopt that when the bad beats start. You can directly alter your experience in this way.

It takes practice and patience but the ability to manage your state and make conscious choices about how to respond to the environment is what seperates you from your pet dog or goldfish. (if you have one).

Very good post. Deserves a bump, and worth reading.

2nd line is my fave.

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anger in poker is like get tickeled. U cant controll it without leting ur brain be the master of ur body. I had so much anger over the last years so I felt like being tickeled out. At one point I calmed down and now I can laugh about suckouts and bad luck. What helped also , was a book that I read . " The poker mindset" .

a true nit

a true nit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ego and and anger are two of the things you need to check at the door to be truely successful and this volitile game ..Gl2u

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

+1000;) ........scorp

L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
T donz know what to do. Im alwasy soo angry when i loose with better cards that i can destroy my computer. My problem is that breaks dont help. Im alwasy loosing the hole game when i lost half of my 60k stack, because im so angry afterwards. What can i do?

S

samitheman99

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
unfortunately anger is part of the game , when a 5tupid player knocks u out ,you cant feel happy about it

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go for a walk or do something else....like play angry guitar. :) If I'm getting mad about getting drawn out on, I know I shouldn't be playing at that moment.

I'm always happy to draw out on someone, so I can't be too mad when someone gets lucky at my expense.

R

RaisingYa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that is one of the hardest things to deal with. Often you will get sucked out on and lose when you thought you would win. Learning to effectively deal with these emotions will help your game greatly. I am still often effected by these situations. I think it is best to stop playing immediately and only start again if you are feeling calm. There are several books out there on this topic. I think one is called Zen poker.

I

indahood193

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i used to get really, really angry playing poker. imo the best way to counter this is to play a lot and after a while you almost accept the bad beats as part of the game. occasionally i will still say a parting word like 'hmmmm' or 'nice' but nothing like prior such as immature idiotic comments in the chat. also broke my laptop a couple of times and a mouse haha. as soon as i have a bad beat i will either say one comment, not abusive obiously just as i said hm or something then quickly X the tournament and forget about it. it obviously sucks if you are deep in one but s**t happens. you just have to suck it up. every time you complain about a bad beat tbh it doesn't make a lot of sense. with out poor players making idiotic decisions and calls there would be no money to be made. if everyone just went all in with AA or KK or whatever and played 'correctly' then you would at best break even. as you said you play poker for fun but i am sure when you play you ideally want to make some money. so my advice would be play a decent bit, after a while you will start accepting them as part of the game. i would say 99% of new players moan about bad beats (as i said i would confess to this) but as you notice when you move up in stakes or watch good players play it is a very low % that cry in the chat. very low. after a while you get used to it. so just X the tourny and forget about it and move on to a new one. if you play cash games just reload and get your money back. don't let tilt prohibit your game. gl :)

H

houtlijm

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
just quit playing for a day and have a couple of beers with some friends

D

DaleM

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I use breathing techniques, and 'soothing' music. Especially if its on my sunday grind and have a but load of equity on the tables where walking away isn't an option. So i suggest do what ever it takes for you to bounce out of that anger zone.

ExecutionerAA

ExecutionerAA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm pushed to the point of tilting, I have to get myself in check asap, being on tilt during a tourney is a recipe for disaster. Its hard to do , but with practice it gets easier.

Z

zingbust

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have no idea who you are but that post was awesome, I'm going to try some of your ideas with the breathing and stuff, I can see how it could help a lot.

long_bong

long_bong

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my girlfriend needs to read this whole thread LOL

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just stop playing and resist the temptation to get back in and try to recover. But i dont get angry at other players for playing terribly, because i count on those guys to pay me most of the time. I just get mad at poker itself lol

T

The Nuder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have no idea who you are but that post was awesome, I'm going to try some of your ideas with the breathing and stuff, I can see how it could help a lot.
Thanks zingbust, check this thread out: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/gen...hile-playing-online-poker-234197/#post2225140 it's about playing poker stood up. Standing up is the ultimate immediate adjust to posture - may be worth giving that a go in combination. Not necessarily for the whole game but experiment.

U

Unfinished Business

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think about it, I think anger will always be a part of poker. If you have ever watched any televised poker events like the wsop on ESPN, you see players blood boil from time to time and these guys are pros. But just bc they are pros doesn't mean they are always going to act professional. One thing you may want to try (i'm thinking about doing this myself) is to get a stress ball that you can take some of your aggression out on. That might help calm your nerves and lengthen your temper.

T

The Nuder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think about it, I think anger will always be a part of poker.

Gregory Bateson (genius) once offered this explanation:

If you take a ball, someone to kick the ball and a team of scientists the scientists will be able to predict where the ball will land based on the force of the strike, wind conditions, the angle of the strike and the surface on which it is sitting etc. etc. They can plug all of the variables into a formula and tell you exactly where the ball will land.

It's easy with the ball because it's a simple object subject to the laws of physics - cause and effect patterns. But if you replace the ball with a cat....

The point is you aren't a simple non-sentient object that has to respond to external stimuli in a specific way. There doesn't always have to be anger. You have choice. It's just that a popular choice is behaving like a ball.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey buddy :) Look, if your anger caused by bad outcome in poker doesn't make you tilt it's really not that bad...Just curios, do you hit your monitor or stuff like that when you get angry?...Well in my case, i always show some reaction, like swearing or something like that (but not typing it lol), which i consider like a really healthy way to handle with anger ( if you ask me it's one of huge advanteges comparing to live poker). If you talking about online poker, use it with shoving some reaction, but not overreaction :D...If you play a video games just play it, set it up on easy mode and you'll beat up your anger :) Cheers, and GL at the tables!

G

Guru44

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anger is caused by large amounts of frustration, so I think the focus should be on controlling your frustration. It is normal and healthy to get frustrated at poker. A productive amount of frustration motivates you to concentrate and improve. Understanding the math of the game, the variance involved, and taking a long term approach should control that frustration. If you lose 5 sessions in a row, but are making the right plays, trust in the math and know that the LR product will be profit. That should help control the frustration, which in turn, will help control the anger.

pistolpetewags11

pistolpetewags11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play poker long enough, and make a dedication to become very good at it, then you will have to ignore your feelings. Essentially, you should only be playing if you don't care about losing money. Because you will. If you will play with emotion, you will make more incorrect plays causing you to lose more money then you would normally lose.

Always play within your means, and if you make the correct play more often than not, you will "have a better" chance to be successful. Poker is a game of odds, life is a game of odds. Emotions affect poker, emotions effect life.

See you around the tables!