Call everything with AKs in the bubble

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think it depends on how villain poker style is. if he is a very tight player i might consider folding, also if my stack is very short like less than 5 bb i might fold, otherwise ak is a very strong hand to fold in this scenario.

you also have to consider the fact than when there's 1 or sometimes 2 players to be in the money hands are played simultaneously so even if you lose the hand you might still win some money if you had a bigger stack than the other players that bust at the same time and for that reason if you only had 1 or 2bb it carries more risks than having 10bb or more...

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just finished a tournament in 51 place outta 10k, I had 26 BB, HJ, I raised 3bb with AKs, the button 3bet 5.5BB, the flop A5K-Q-5, the little $%hit went all in, I called, he had Q5o. I was playing very frigging tight, my HM3 showed VPIP19% PRF 12% while the villain's was 31% PRF 40% VPIP. So let me tell u one thing. go all in when u know there are loose players, and tighten up with rocks.

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think A K is a big cards , If all in tha ratio of winning is high , but it is not certain . i like A A or any pair to going more than A K .

H

HunPokerRoll

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A K,A A,

sometimes I fall out with the largest pairs so that neither A nor T knows.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hell yea..I call all kinds of crazy stuff because you never know whats coming. Most play big hands and i like to play lower and get it so every1 is like wtf..good luck.

det0nate

det0nate

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not call a all-in with AK preflop if i havent entered the pot , even if it on the bubble.
BINGO is not my game :)

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not eventually it will average out

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how many BB you have. Can you afford to make the call? Are you still in the money if you lose? And one last things. you're better off doing the shoving and not the calling.

V

VBB112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given you're on the bubble I think I just wait for a spot with less at stake.

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Man, I play the scenario, not the cards.

I can fold even pocket Aces depending on the situation.

meagain00

Sakisdask

Sakisdask

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im going Fold my friend... maybe I would play AK all in only in blinds position!

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably I wouldn't call, since the villain might be sitting on a pocket hand. Thus you're starting from behind. And I wouldn't want to compromise my tournament that way.
It depends on the villain's playstyle and the stage of the tournament too, but overall I'd fold.

voljare1234

voljare1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not a bad card, although not. I love it. I was just knocked out of the circle. The K was in my hand.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is the most over played hand in poker. Would be an easy fold.

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you know your opponent is pushing you around because you're close to the money or the ladder up, AK is a good hand to push back with and hope you connect with the flop. Otherwise, fold it to tight players and action behind.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Depends, obviously. On how aggressive the opponent is, how deep are we. But going by what we know, honestly, I'd probably fold but think correct is to call.

N

nickpaizis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This seems some kind of bullying, the opp would just make pressure on us, maybe with a small pocket or a connected one or a high card(s). If its that important for you to reach to money and have around 500$ : fold. But if it's not : it's a perfect time to double-up, and have better chance to get 1 million.

I totally agree with you.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I completely agrre with this strategy if i am on the bubble. But its a difference case if I am assured of cashing w/o calling.

A

ayewayfilms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not call AK with everything it has gotten me nowhere

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doesn't "depend" for me. Easy fold. AK is probably the most overplayed hand in poker.

Y

Yontox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This seems some kind of bullying, the opp would just make pressure on us, maybe with a small pocket or a connected one or a high card(s). If its that important for you to reach to money and have around 500$ : fold. But if it's not : it's a perfect time to double-up, and have better chance to get 1 million.

I agree to this. + have to add it's probably better to call your stack off & get +EV

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this example it is suitable to take a closer look at the ICM. Your expected value if you lose this hand is $ 26. If you win the hand you have an expected value of $ 150 and if you fold the hand you have an expected value of $ 75. You can also do the calculations for different expected values. Since these are only assumptions anyway. We give your opponent hand ranges of AT + & 44+. This gives you a 48.19% chance of winning. So the calculation for the expected value when you play the hand looks like this: EV = 48,19% * $ 150 + 51,82% * $ 26 = $ 85.75 If you called you would make an average of $ 87.75. If you fold your hand, your EV stays at $ 75. In that case, you'd better call. Of course these are just assumptions that I made. With other EV it looks different again of course.

But if you have 2 opponents with the same hand range, you have a smaller chance of winning. This gives you a 33.26% chance of winning. So the calculation for the expected value when you play the hand looks like this: EV = 33.26% * $ 150 + 66.74% * $ 26 = $ 67.24 If you called you would make an average of $ 67.24. If you fold your hand, your EV stays at $ 75. In that case, you'd better fold.

Last edited:
N

Nel1523

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll retire here with AK. The only call I'll make this late would be QQ, KK, or AA. A doubling would be great, not everything pre-flop. However, I would love to play the hand after the flop.

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the bubble is the best time to build your stack and make a run for the high payouts. I tend to play more aggressively on the bubble, and while I might bust out just before the money, just as often I build a large enough stack to make it deep into the payouts, which I think more than makes up for the times I bust out.

Playing cautiously on the bubble may get you into the money more often, but it definitely won't help you win more tournaments.