Call everything with AKs in the bubble

P

ProfessorGrind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it would depend of how many BB I have left, if I have less than 5BB I would probably call with AK, if I have more I would fold and at least guarantee some money.
for me the chance of winning is unlikely even with a double up with 5BB - shorter here I try to make the money as the primary goal and hope to get lucky. This assumes a large field remaining and shorter stacks.

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Snap fold as long as I have enough to make ITM! Live to fight another day!

Good Man

Good Man

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello guys!
I want to post a poll here and leave you a question.

• You are playing an MTT with $250 entry with guaranteed prize pool of $1,000,000 Gtd
You have AKs on the button and the villain goes All-in in utg with more chips than you, all players before you give up.

Would you give this call knowing that there is only one player left to burst the bubble and knowing that you giving that call would be compromising your entire tournament by scratching fall before entering ITM?

But this combination is not clear. Today I took off with AK, but remained in the prizes, I regret that I made a move with these cards. My view of this combination is getting worse. Today, my AK lost to 88. I often lose with this combination
My answer: FOLD

Life is a game , play beautiful

horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
could have much weaker cards for a call in this situation ;)

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
most of the time I gave up. | but if he needs enough information about the villain, he could run!

Shantaram

Shantaram

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold is the right decision and an easy decision at such a high stakes bubble.

but

if we're at a table with a big stack clearly taking advantage of the bubble and shoving hand after hand, we just can't fold AK. Maybe 3 out of 10 times we will but I think most of us know we don't have a choice. It's a poker tournament after all and if we're gonna pass on an obvious chance of a double up maybe we should play some other game.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTTs are not my strong point, and I agree there is some missing info here, but here are my thoughts on this. I haven't yet watched Evan's video but here's generally where I stand with this decision.

If we have a healthy stack relative to the rest of the field then it doesn't make sense to call and risk a coin flip situation for our tournament lives or even worse run into KK+. We can plug this into an ICM calculator and see that folding is usually best in these scenarios. It may get interesting if V is notoriously loose and we are the only two players with a massive chip lead that would essentially mean that the winner of this hand can coast on to the final table and perhaps even deep into the final table and be a huge favorite to win it all. But again, none of this info is provided.

As our stack gets shorter relative to the rest of the field it becomes necessary to double up in order to put us in a position to make the bubble. We don't want to just blind ourselves out waiting for someone else to bust first if we are one of the shortest stacks because as they are forced to get their stack in, if they double up, then we will have very few good opportunities to double up ourselves to stay in it. I think there are too many different scenarios to say for certain what is best. But my goal would be to compare my equity vs Vs range to the percentage chance that I can fold my way past the bubble in this second general scenario where we are both short compared to the field. At some point it will become a better decision to double up than to fold and hope enough players bust first or a better spot presents itself.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call. The purpose of MTTs is the final table. This type of decisions mainly depends on your observation over the player. Though this is a million dollar battle, no give up.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think at this point if you have studied the player with the most chips, you should already know if the UTG player is blipping or is really only taking advantage of his position or has really only been playing with decent or good hands, based on the study of this player you can make a more favorable decision in your favor, I think that if you really believe that he is bluffing, then go ahead, all in life, but if you think that you are only one or two hands from the prizes and you can wait and not It greatly affects your number of chips, it is better to wait at this point. Regards.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

I understand the placement of you guys. But you're saying there's a lack of information. The question is pretty simple. It is logical that in a tournament of this size the first place prize pool will be around 10% to 15% of the total amount that would be $1,000,000 Gtd or so. And also hard for you to have information of an opponent playing so few hands against him. That's why the question becomes simple. What would you do in a situation like this? For some it is difficult to speak precisely because i have never played an MTT of this size. But if you're a player who's playing this kind of tournament, then I believe at least you want to get into FT. It is also worth mentioning that you have an AKs in your hands which by the way is not such a powerful hand if it has an AA or KK. But the point is that you don't know what he has, or he may be pushing for just having more chips than you or for being an aggressive player or even simply missing just one player to burst the bubble. In the end you pay and see what you give up the hand and whine about missing the chance to double your chips and stay alive in the tournament.

You're suggesting the question is very simple BUT you are STILL missing the point of what others were asking you..... 'it depends' on some info. that you are not providing.

IF you want to get a 'good' answer, you'll need to provide that info.

Just seeing you continue to not plug in the info. other's mentioned, tells me a lot.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The way you playing for itm or farthest way in tournament. I'd call if my casual mtt was 250$

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If am not very short stacked and i am sure that i will manage to get to the money with my current stack i will fold AKs in this case. After all AK is not made hand and even if someone is bullying with low pocket pair it is just a coin flip for your tournament life. In such situation i will not pay with anything less than QQ.

M

Maggio_A

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this decision I would make mostly on observation of villain. Most of the players are playing really tight before bubble some of them are waiting so loooong to fold but on the other hand there is one player who would go all in with anything cause he knows he can harvest all BB. There are some players who would even fold AA as you can see in this thread, so there has to be one player who will use it :) You will go all in even with 2,7 offsuited when you know your opponents will fold even premium hands. Of course this kind of tourney is not a micro MTT but still this kind of money can mean nothing for somebody else, so you should think about possibility that villain might not think about that he paid 250 for tourney. To be honest, I catch second breath on bubble like this many times. I have seen players bluffing on this kind of situation (but micro or low of course) with ridiculous combinations. Especially when you have a short stack, there are not many players behind you, you should call this kind of hand even when it might cost you a lot, but playing other 15 minutes and waiting for bubble player can cost you more, cause other AK might not come. When you are sure that villain likes to play tight, of course fold. When you are not sure I would call.

ranynight

ranynight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah u right, u should be always think about high not about bubble

C

CliffieDeuce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys!

• You are playing an MTT with $250 entry with guaranteed prize pool of $1,000,000 Gtd
You have AKs on the button and the villain goes All-in in utg with more chips than you, all players before you give up.

Would you give this call knowing that there is only one player left to burst the bubble and knowing that you giving that call would be compromising your entire tournament by scratching fall before entering ITM?

It depends on your stack, if you are the smallest stack, its a call. If you are mid to high stack fold. Doesn't make sense busting out earlier than the small stack if you still have enough chips to play with.

pandaboy

pandaboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys!

If it was me, I'd be waiting for the rest of the time bank. And if no itm, then Fold. Because we have a coin. And this spot is not good for us, even he had A with worse second card, he have chance. For bubble it is fold, because it is spot witch we don't want to play. After itm its call. And find best chance double up.

madbeeet

madbeeet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, it depends on the state. When in doubt or not collected, it is better to fold to the prizes. And when it's on fire, push it while it's hot)

frazzle1991

frazzle1991

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I would assess who is the opponent who made the move, how he has been playing in the last few hands. Usually when you are playing against aggressives players, your chances of having a better hand increase, otherwise, if you are playing against a tighter player we have to be more connected, as he may have top pair or hands as strong as yours, my opnion

Totally agree here. Ideally I'd want to fold to secure at least initial ITM payout but hard to fold against table bully who will raise small pairs like 66 / 77 or hands like AJ,AQ,A10 K* etc in which case I maybe call and pray lol

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

hi. AK is a good hand, but in a tournament with a good prize, bet everything and lose to a 22, I would break my PC right away. I wouldn't bet pre-flop for sure.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello guys!

With AK I don't even go to the corner in the bubble, I hope the bubble bursts and then if AK comes I go with everything.:cool:

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
AK is the one hand I hate most of all, It certainly looks good especially if suited but at the end of the day it is still Ace rag, I would always fold on the bubble.
It is overrated as a good hand, and that far deep into a tourney I would fold every hand if it meant my tourney life. I have even folded AA when in that position, facing an all-in from the big stack, I will fold like the wind until the bubble burst.

By the way if I had called with AA in that hand I would have been the bubble boy.

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless villain has pocket Aces or Kings, you are probably in a coin flip situation. Going all-in UTG is quite intimidating I would actually fold in that situation if I were you.

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say go for it. Min cashing is not going to help you too much. You have to play for the final table.
You entered the tourney for 1 reason - Finish 1st. Play cash games if your after $$$

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If it's a satellite bubble I can easily fold even pocket kings or aces not just AK combo :p