AK vs QQ?

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So in the tournament I'm playing with AK 3 bet get allin, and of course his calls, because the hand of AK 5beta push an opponent shows his hand QQ! Do I play?

Who will say what is right, someone that is not? so who is right? I decided to go deeper, and so get started!

The chances are 45% I 55% against the enemy, that means that about 100 hands AK against QQ I will win 45 times out of 100 and lose 55 times! Wow, I said it is not profitable! in the long run I concede! not to mention the case!

So how to play correctly? if I lose in the long run? after much thought and views of different clips, I came to the conclusion that if you know what you're up against a pair that will play such values, whether you hand is suited? Is an aggressive player? what the speaker on the table? and what happens if I play in different versions?

and the answer is obvious! Play Of course not! Only question is how? depending on the situation, such as an aggressive player you in the position play made the call!

Look at the flop and on the flop if you improve to a pair, do not be afraid of a chance to improve 32%, and if you get something suited AK flush draw 11%. so sturuktura flop to give two cards of the same suit are 55%, improve the likelihood QQ set to 12% of the opening, and to be an overpair on the flop 60%! Based on these probabilities it turns out that you need to play AK despite what your opponent or how many of them? there probably will help you intuition! so when you're playing against the major players beware! But what conclusions in the end, I lost!do you ???

Updated Feb 2018:

Despite spacing the above out some it is still very difficult to read and understand. Maybe it can be a lesson to those wanting advice on hands they have played.

Be very clear when explaining the circumstances of the hand - and include all pertinent information. Stack sizes, blind levels, positions at the table, and any potential reads you may have on your opponent.

It is worth reading this if you want to post hands to discuss:

Tournament Poker - Posting Guidelines

and even better if a specific hand discussion is posted here in the correct format:Tournament Hand Analysis

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a drawing hand. Getting it all in preflop is as good as saying lets gamble my tournament life on a coin flip (most of the time) You are far more often going to run into a coin flip vs pocket pairs then actually be dominating a hand.

Tillersizuniversal

Tillersizuniversal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a tough issue to speak upon.......I still think it is worth it considering how close the percentages are!

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK also has blockers to KK & AA.

Obviously you don't want to be 4 bet jamming against nits/rock tight players. AK is good against villains that have balanced 3 bet ranges (mainly higher stake level)

Fold equity + good showdown equity makes AK still a solid hand against a good chunk of villain's range.

cheapseats76

cheapseats76

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first question has to be what was your stack looking like. If you have plenty of chips then I think you need to flat call and see what happens on the flop but if you are short stacked then it's an insta jam. If your sitting in the middle of the pack then it really is a judgement call based on villians play prior but if he is a tight player then your up against one of the big pairs and your flipping for your tourney life. Good luck on the felts!

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there are many factors you should be considering in order to play ak and make it a profitable hand. shoving all in after a 4 bet isnt the best way to play ak in most cases. why? because what range of hands can villain have after a 4 bet or even a 3 bet?. unless villain is a loose player with a wide opening range of hands most player are going to 3 bet with at least aj or better and 4 bet with at least aq or even ak or a better hand like tens or better. so its very important for you to consider villain playing style and also how deep you and villain are in the tournament. with +100bb deep you might find a better spot to risk your entire stack, because even if ak is a very strong preflop hand it can a very weak postflop hand if you dont hit anything on the flop, so folding a 4 bet can be a good option when you are facing a tight deepstack player if you are also deepstack or maybe just call the 4 bet and then fold if villains bet on the flop and you dont hit anything on the flop.

D

Danc1u

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All i can tell u is that usuly when im in a All in hand with QQ vs A K 90% of the time i loose,when i have A K vs QQ same thing...80% i lose it :) its a very strong hand the AK but depends,u can`t go all in if u are like...100 BB in a deep tournament or smth like this,sometimes u have to let them go,but in other order is good thing to go all in with AK...Gl

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is very stong hand,but for me it is not hand for all in.
When you call all in you risk your opp have hand pair in this case it was QQ and he have starting advantage.
You are the guy who must wait cards so you can win.

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i started playing poker i used to go everytime all in with AK but in time i have learned that is just bingo mode,now i preffer to go all in with 77+ than AK,i go all in with AK only when my stack is very small 3-5bb.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the chances are 45% I 55% against the enemy, that means that about 100 hands AK against QQ I will win 45 times out of 100 and lose 55 times! Wow, I said it is not profitable! in the long run I concede! not to mention the case!

In cash games you may fold with AK on 4-bet or 5-bet all-in and this is dont be a bad idea. But in the tourney you cant do this, because you must be doubled. You just can not wait for another (better) situation. + he can push you with AQ, AJ if he knows about your folds with AK.

U

Uzbek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in

AK is very stong hand,but for me it is not hand for all in.
When you call all in you risk your opp have hand pair in this case it was QQ and he have starting advantage.
You are the guy who must wait cards so you can win.

I go all in with JJ, QQ, AK, kk, AA, we have risk anyway

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's important to see the levels on which you are playing, the stack of you and the opponent. In early stages it could be tricky and may end your tournament, specially when you don't have enough read on the way the shover is playing. I saw in tournaments some top players to fold preflop AK, but when played by someone who they are capable to make a read.
Still most of the time it must be a call. Specially in tournaments with low buy-in or freerolls, where the people are entering with AJ, AQ like.

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that arrived the same situatiion as you. Had A-K suited clubs and I 3 bet in utg 3 we are 9 at table. The BB raise all in he had my cover and I put my tournement on this play. and this is the final table. And I call. And I dont hit. And after leaving table I asking him why he go all in with QQ over a 3 bet and is answer is I'm feeling lucking with this hand and he know he was beat preflop but anyway he as more chiops then me. Next time when I play with him for sure I will limp any monster hand. lollll Have a good day sir

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In an MTT, especially at the microstakes because players are capable of shoving very weak hands, I am almost never folding AK for all of my chips because I am very rarely in a terrible spot.

-I'm only way behind AA/KK. And even then, I still have ~30% equity vs KK. Also, since I have AK in my hand, I block some AA/KK combinations which means there are only 3 ways to make AA or KK.

-I flip against 22-QQ.

-Have an edge over none paired hands like QJ, 10J, 78s, etc

-Dominate all other Ax/Kx hands.

The only time I would fold AK in an MTT is if it's either a satellite MTT and I already have a seat locked up. Winning here would not increase my equity in the game as payouts are even. The other is if it's at a final table with a top 3 stack and ICM comes into play.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if its an MTT its all about type of tournament, if its mnormal and early your never getting it all in pre profitably you can gain a stack with much less risk involved......
now if its later (20-30) you bet, they reraise, your go all in its poker and thats a time for risks and you will be called by worse then AK

HOWEVER
turbo's, its simply not worth waiting for better chances, your opponents may fold, but they are rarely only waiting for AA KK so its fine to make these kinda moves

D

Dwarf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if its an MTT its all about type of tournament, if its mnormal and early your never getting it all in pre profitably you can gain a stack with much less risk involved......
now if its later (20-30) you bet, they reraise, your go all in its poker and thats a time for risks and you will be called by worse then AK

HOWEVER
turbo's, its simply not worth waiting for better chances, your opponents may fold, but they are rarely only waiting for AA KK so its fine to make these kinda moves

Even in turbos, when you shove AK vs any pocket pairs 22 - QQ you have are behind preflop.

The reason AK is so strong is that calling an all in shove with 22 is so hard because, AK has basically 46% against all pocket pairs. When you shove with AK you really want a fold more than a call.

bujjhati

bujjhati

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a drawing hand. Getting it all in preflop is as good as saying lets gamble my tournament life on a coin flip (most of the time) You are far more often going to run into a coin flip vs pocket pairs then actually be dominating a hand.

Really well said, I think AK is so much better at flops than a hand to go All in, of course that it is a strong hand, but it's only recommended to go all in with this hand in late game, where there is no option but coin flips

PKPurple

PKPurple

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a hand to go All in postflop I would only go all in preflop if I have well studied the opponent and I know that he plays many hands, other than that AK takes strength in the final stage of a tournament since the players tend to play tighter by The level of the blinds

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on stack sizes. I mean. 250 bb deep effective stack sizes on a regular paced tournament, one might actually build a case to lay down AA.

Most of the time in an MTT the pot will be played around 20-30 BB effective stack sizes. So it's ok to laydown AK for a 4-bet (because it commits your stack to a hand that pretty much flips against all the opponents' range), but once the effective stack size downs the 20 BB mark, you just can't fold AK. Too valuable of a hand to be bluffed out of the pot by AQ/AJ or worse and is flipping against a huge range of pocket pairs.

YuriNepo

YuriNepo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How many do not talk about percentages and opposition against ak qq each time having a hand ak anyone would think to do after allin call or not. Each distribution is unique and analyzing the game of your opponent, you will be able to make a decision. Another thing is that if you have qq, then you will make 95% of the call after allin. And about those% to win with ak you will not know until you see the hand of the opponent. Personally, I do not think ak best hand to call if you will have to play the entire stack. We must also think about the fact that the weak aces could fall without making a call even one blind. In the early and middle positions, I almost always reset slybye offsuit aces and like me a lot. Thus, it turns out that most likely lose ak qq.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a coin flip and classic race. You shove AK first then it's his decision to fold or call. With any hand like this you want to see flop cheaply. If your short-stacked or in the money or can take out a short-stack then I'm shoving. If you're 3-bet shoving then you're just wanting to gamble.

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a very strong, but there are stronger ones, so i do not recommend to go all in, cause it plays very well on hitting flops. And as the guys are saying, its a coin flip

I

illind

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does he show QQ before you made your play?

andreigabor

andreigabor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i started playing poker i used to go everytime all in with AK but in time i have learned that is just bingo mode,now i preffer to go all in with 77+ than AK,i go all in with AK only when my stack is very small 3-5bb.

I like your way, this is what i do :D

Z

ZingyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to be honest, stack size determines everything.
Shoving 100 BB with A/K is never a good idea. I wouldnt call for all my chips their either.

I try and find spots where im 70/30 plus, or "sense" that im way ahead during a hand. Dont remove your skill from the equation, unless your short stacked.

I also would outright fold it on the bubble if I was in early position, particularly if I was not short.