AK all in without position in first stages?

B

Benego

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would go allin here and take a flip.. I feel like you must risk in tournaments a lot... Am I wrong?

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, as you would play with AK in the early stages of a tournament.
For example, you have AK UTG, you raise X3, X4, a villain does 4bet, which is the best option, go all in, or to call? the villain can have AQ AJ, and not whether it be good, play AK, no position, perhaps it would be best to go all in? what do you think.
And if the villain has 99 TT JJ would be a flip.

GThe all. :D
In early stages of tournamen with 100BB AK is not a very good hand,offcourse depends from buy in on toournament and from tipe of players,so in that spot better call ,you can go all in ,you lose from AA,KK,othervise you flip or you ahead,so you can all in or you can call,but depends from a lots of things....

M

mitsuaha

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My first inclination is to say I would not play unsuited AK UTG and after a reraise. Suited AK and up against the villain with no other callers... honestly it would depend on the tournament itself (Guaranteed $ or satellite) but I'd be much more willing to play. The stakes I play at people will push all-in with 3-7 suited, so... really depends on how lucky you're feeling at the time!

Not generally a fan of betting wars early in the tournament though. That's how I go down the "****er hit on the river!!!" road! :smile:

M

Mateusss0617

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is good to hold agains another 2 high card like J 10 suited but probably have to hit A or K if some1 is coming in with you. Mostly AK all in calls face agains pairs :D

D

diegofeijo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
Someone said " Poker is math pré-flop and art after flop"
And the beauty of the poker we can see many aprochs
lets Begin with math

So AKo our AKs have how many % to win from one player with :
AK x 22+ = 50%, Ak x QQ = 45%. Ak x K K = 33%, AK x AA = 12%
AK x JQo = 66% AK x AJ= 72% AK x KQ = 74%
Against pokets lower them QQ maximum flip. QQ+ u lost.
Another range u win in all.
How many pockets have in the range ? (66,66, 6-6, 66, 66, 66).
6 pockets from each. 22+ to JJ we have = 66 possibles hands.
QQ, KK,AA = 18 possibles hands
How many JQ+ have in the range ? (JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ, JQ) we have 16 possibles hands from each. JQ, AJ,AQ,AK,KQ = 80 possibles hand u win. But is a range very large.
You will win from 80 hands and loose for 84 hands. And the villain need to open the range little bit.
Lets say one tournament with 360 players and start chips with 1500. No addon, no rebuy.
We have 540.000 chips in this tournament. And all players start with 0,27% of the total chips. In final table we have 9 players and average is 60.000. And obvius is 10,8 % of total chips.
Whem u go all in in the early tournament u have how many to win ? And how many to loose ?

Another aproach ( the last because is too long this post. )

I begin with a phrase is math and art. therefore after u go coin flip and survive how the other players will see you ?
From my self i put 3 notes on you . I know you are a guy dont have fear to flip behind. And if i encounter u again in early stage and u raise and i have Pocket KK our AA i can tri-bet without fear u will drop your hand because u will try to flip.

Is too long but thats is what i think each hand have many variants. The player need to think in that and try to make the best.

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example, you have AK UTG, you raise X3, X4, a villain does 4bet, which is the best option, go all in, or to call? the villain can have AQ AJ, and not whether it be good, play AK, no position, perhaps it would be best to go all in? what do you think.

Maybe this will sound strange
it depends on which site I play with AK
For example on 888 I will always call all in
At poker stars in 90% of cases
On party poker very rarely, maybe never

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At Poker Stars in 90% of cases
On Party Poker very rarely, maybe never
Why it depends on site??

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would just call. to go all in in the early stages of a tournament in my opinion not recommended. by calling you could see the flop and if you hit the board and you if you hit the board you can get as much out as possible

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK

I have lost more chips with AK than any other pockets. I have terrible luck and only hit my AK every other blue moon or so, but on the first level of a tournament many players will go all in with any two cards, so it is a great chance to double or triple up on the first few hands, if you can catch an A or a K, and beat a smaller pair (or the two crappy cards that usually knock me out). If you hit, then you are in a good position early, and then can go back to playing tight for the rest of the tournament, or go to the next tournament and try it again.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Low stakes just pile it in higher stakes peel a flop and fold if miss:D
Depends on stack to pot ratio though.

Insomnia6590

Insomnia6590

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why it depends on site??

From my experience, A and K often come out on a flop when it comes to PS and 888
At Party this is not the case, of course to go out and there, but not every other hand like the PS
But that's just my opinion
Maybe I'm wrong ... or it just happens to me ;)

X

xx02pl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in ofc. Villain can have many hands which we have flip or domination

Gyry

Gyry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK good hand but i not go all-in, i better go all-in on poket pair like QQ, JJ than AK. In any case, it all depends on the position and size of the stack.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From my experience, A and K often come out on a flop when it comes to PS and 888
At Party this is not the case, of course to go out and there, but not every other hand like the PS
Didn't notice that on PS, but A on river is, so i agree its better to shove so you don't fold if it doesn't come on flop since it is surely river card :D

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Nope!

When we're talking about tournament strategy we're not looking to get it all in preflop in the early stages at all, even with AA. For the simple reason of when we shove it all in and get called by an equal or bigger stack we're risking our tournament life and, whatever the holdings, there's a chance we lose at showdown and shuffle to the exit/lobby grumbling about bad beats, sick downswings, donk callers and where can I get a caipirinha*..? Yes, we do want to isolate individual players to go up against rather than see flops multi-way and, if forced, will commit everything with AA versus one player but AK is a drawing hand and shouldn't be overplayed which (in my opinion) is what you're talking about.

Wait for monster and premium hands, yes, but automatically be in the mindset of willing to shove or call all our chips preflop regardless of position, action, information and endless other possible factors please for all that is holy, no!

Instead, either fold, or call looking to continue cautiously depending on board texture. When we connect with the flop it's wise again to only be willing to commit everything (the topic at hand) with at least two pair. Getting married to top top or worse on the flop will in the long run lead to more tears than smiles.

Again this is in reference to early stage tournament play, no other.

All the best and good luck developing the flipping skills!

*Just ask about my early-stage exit from WCOOP $200k gtd all in preflop with AA vs AKo and the QTJ flop**.

**Some argument for reshoving AK UTG into AA preflop but if you check the various odds in the long run not a profitable play.

M

Maitresse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was a great question and answer thread. Being so new to the game, it's helpful to see some of my developing thoughts on strategy confirmed by expert players.

Ironically, as I reply to this I receive AK UTG, 4-bet with 4 calls and the board comes 264, so the Poker Gods confirm.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
depending on the tournament I do not know if I risked from the beginning with those cards, I would try to play them more calmly, but if my instinct tells me that I must go all in I do it

J

Jto95

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Would definately call don’t want to lose it all early game

vic88888

vic88888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Suppose that happens. It is easy to imagine because it happens quite often. I'm not sure what outcome would be although odds are good for AK. It is kind of like the flip of the coin. AK vs AQ or AJ three odds of hitting the Q or J, which is same as hitting the K. Ace is always King in this one and helps to negate. Why not, I say? Thankfully CC is nice to offer so many opportunities for all.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its early stage of tournament I will make my desicion based off information on the villians.

If your UTG open and get the 3-bet, 4-bet action your most likely up against some good hands. I would either Fold or All-in depending on how tight the villians have been playing. Being UTG will be out of position post-flop in a 3-way pot and the high likely-hood of being up again premium pocket pairs... calling here seems unprofitable.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At Poker Stars in 90% of cases
On Party Poker very rarely, maybe never

:icon_puke

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 15
walluyo

walluyo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to fold if it a big buy in tournament, shove all in if small buy in.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove 5bet with AKo, AKs can be call. Deep ~200bb, call is better, or even fold vs huge size (4bet).

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
:icon_puke

You couldn't just do the civilised thing and just hit the flush draw, could you? Had to just go and spike runner-runner trips instead.... So rude! [emoji1]

Last night in a little game, folded AQs pre to a 3bet shove and call (they had AA and A10o) and called another 3bet pre with AKs (he had AQs). Like to at least imagine that would've folded the first one with AK too... This was kinda middle to late game, so different circumstance, but felt like all cylinders were firing reasonably well... [emoji846]

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Not 'maybe' you are wrong... 100% you are wrong. Why even bother to write in this rigged b.s. on a thread? Honestly it pisses me off enough to be commenting about it.