AK all in without position in first stages?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, as you would play with AK in the early stages of a tournament.
For example, you have AK UTG, you raise X3, X4, a villain does 4bet, which is the best option, go all in, or to call? the villain can have AQ AJ, and not whether it be good, play AK, no position, perhaps it would be best to go all in? what do you think.
And if the villain has 99 TT JJ would be a flip.

GThe all. :D

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would go all in. You said all the hands you are a coin flip against. If you are going to play tournament you can't be afraid to get all your chips in.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
depending on the tournament I would play all in, if my opponent has a pair nothing to do, there are tournaments in which I risk more than in others

J

jonjay

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends of the tournament you are playing. If you are playing a big tournament with a slow structure, you will never go allin preflop in the early stages, no matter what you have (OK, if you have AA and someone goes allin).

AK is very tricky specially in the early stages, because every speculative hand will call any raise (any small or medium pocket, any suited connector, etc).

For that reason, AK early in a tournament is not better than any other hand.

Now, if the tourney is turbo or hyper, indeed going allin preflop is very healthy, because you will need to win too many coin flips before you get rewarded.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the call is not good in any case. If the opponent is preflop it raises it, flop will also raise. If you do not have anything on the flop, you have to throw it. Preflop aggression I think is better. I would definitely go all-in.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
AK does not play well post flop, nor does AQ. early deep stacked be careful with this hand.
Short stack it is an ideal shove hand.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, you have AK UTG, you raise X3, X4, a villain does 4bet, which is the best option, go all in, or to call? the villain can have AQ AJ, and not whether it be good, play AK, no position, perhaps it would be best to go all in? what do you think.

Going All in is in my opinion a mistake. You don't have a real range on opponents early on and they could have 99+ and AQ and AJ are best case. So really you're behind majority of the combinations in their range. Call and play the hand accordingly to the flop texture.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All-in and take your flip.

If you just flat and miss and fold to a c-bet then that will be a waste of calling chips.

Plus, you won't fold the best hand to aggression if you shove preflop.

Good luck !

DomGov

DomGov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really no; I'd slow down a little with the AK when you're that deep, and try to play a little postflop. I don't see the sense in flipping unless it's perhaps in a Freeroll.

You want to play more suited connectors, pairs, and drawing hands in general when you are very deep, things that can make the nuts, and provide you enough equity to semi-bluff with enough outs when you are pot committed.

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

it depends how many effective BB you play if it is more than 50 BB I don't think that it's a good idea to go broke. I think you should call or fold depending if you have a good post flop game

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

it depends how many effective BB you play if it is less than 50 BB I think that you can all in

G

guitaRisGood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, you have AK UTG, you raise X3, X4

UTG early on I min bet maximum (unless AA KK or QQ) way too much loose play at those stages and usually bad things happen. If you consistently min raise in that position you are always disguising your hand, weak or strong. Early on for me is post flop opportunities almost never pre flop opportunities... and patience patience patience. I have no problem folding AK preflop early in a tournament.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to reraise all in in this position, but as a few stated above, Im trying to get out of flipping so much, I rarely win a flip in my opinion. see the flop and play accordingly.

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you'll not see AJofs in this case, AQ ussually will play call , instead of 3 or 4 bet vs utg. That's why you 'll play against pairs 99-QQ, & it will be standart 2 over cards vs a pair. the only great card of opp in this situation - suited connectors as a bluff range of opponent, but it he'll probably make a 4bet bluff and fold vs all in

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi, I'm going to say no, some have said it depends on the tournament etc , but winning is winning,
consider if villan sees your raise and decides to come over the top,
he knows you may have at least AJ+ and he still 4bets, if he has KK then you're only drawing to 1 live card (the ace) , really bad odds to risk a whole tournament on isn't it? Some may say it's passive play not to shove, but a tournament is long, you'll have plenty chances to go bust or take extreme risks, trips vs trips or flush vs flush etc, way better ways to "die " if you like, haha . Some players i even suspect of shoving AA early tournament for the express reason of catching those villans who are willing to take early risks etc... plenty to consider,
of course table image of yourself and villans in question count for a lot as well, if the guy keeps shoving every hand you may have to risk calling with AK indeed and hope this one time he doesn't have you trapped ....

In general you would do well to consider any ealry all ins at all in my opinion, preflop only AA will be a forced play , anything else is indeed "foldable" preflop early levels ....
if your hand is strong then don't be afraid of the flop i say, play it and all in later streets if need be or fold

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I must add that it's hard at times to play premium hands (AK in this case) against a tough (aggressive ) opponent,
1. Folding AK to the 4bet seems to weak , so we may not do that often if at all.
2. Flat call and see the flop, if we miss the flop should be easy fold mentally but hard emotionally, (the odds of making our hand in turn & river diminish greatly ) , and our stack takes a nice hit early on ....
3. 5bet shove, i don't like already above,
I'll add another piece, no one knows what you fold, there's is power in this in my opinion, find that in yourself and maybe use it

Vlad Tapu

Vlad Tapu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, I would not go all in preflop with AK, even suited.
I would only call, in both situation, if it s early or late tournament.
Vilain most likely has a pair..
He won't play AQ AJ with re-raise...

Cheers!

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AK us rearrange, we are in the first position, so he has pockets and not below the ladies.In this situation, you need to throw, if in addition we have someone in the game and all in...

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It really depends on the stack sizes and the raises made. If we started with 3K and you raised to 90 and he made is 240 I would probably 4bet to 650 and call his all in. If we started with say 1500 chips its an easy all in for me. The only hands you are worried about here is aces and kings and since ou have one of each there is a much less likely chance of his having it. I could not fault you if you did shove all in here.

R

rainver

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is just a hand. It will be lucky if flop is up to you. But if player after you (you are on utg) reraise you than there is big probability that there are big pocket pair or monsters. Or it can be bluff. On early stages of tournaments people don't want to get out so you should wait no bluff actually. It's not professional to make coin flip rule your life)) Call or fold would be good.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think against your typical unknown freeroll villan you should probably just go allin, but at buyin tourneys or where you have a read on the the villan that he wont stack off with AQ or AJ then you got to play according to the villan.

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a good question. At the early stages of the tourneys I do not like to go all in with a "no pair", including AK suited, because you can face an AA or even a KK just after you.
You can think that this not happen, but this week at ACR CC freeroll, in two consecutive days I got busted with AK against AA just after me. In the 2 cases, I had a good stack and one of them it was very close to the bubble.
First case: gary heart made a strong bet pré-floppy with AA and I went all in with AK
Second case, I was in the middle position and I made a 1k chips bet to a 4bet, got reraised and went all in and got busted with another AA. I had almost 6k chips and got nothing.
AK is not a hand, like poker players say.
In this case that you mentioned, I think a 3bet is okay and if you received a not to strong reraise, I thing is a good call, because is mory proabably the the villain have other kind of hands (AQ, AJ, AT, QQ, JJ, TT, 99) than 2 (AA, KK). If you score a A or a K at the floppy, "probably" you should be ahead at this hand, but poker is not a fair game, and offen you can be busted with a set or even with an AA or KK. GL.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask yourself .. what are stakes?

Far too many variables here for a clear and correct answer to your question. I would need to know what losing would mean to me for this situation. Is it a freeroll, is it cash (and how much cash can I comfortably afford to lose). If it means very little if you win or lose then you could be ok to push all in, if not then raise and test the waters.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would go all in take my chances.