AA tournament start, you fold this hand ?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hear PROS talk about this on the radio and ESPN some will fold and others shove/call so I dont know why you pick me out of this group to say Im wrong. ITS a choice with 10k at stake. gimme a break
Your $10K isn't at stake, unless you approach MTTs as needing to make your money back, which is just bad.

The goal is to win the MTT and you're not going to do that by folding a huge +EV spot like this to triple up. Forget the $10K, what about the potential millions you're giving up?

I can say that I'm not good enough to fold this egde here and I doubt many pros fold here either. I honestly can't imagine why anyone, especially a pro would fold here.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
imagine that I fold the AA and that I realize after I won the pot. my morale would be reduced by the beginning of the tournament. So I'd rather pay and try my luck. in all AA it remains a good hand.if we take too much into account the registration fees in these decisions. we can not play at its best level.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since I am NOT a "depositor" it seems no matter when I play power pocket pairs(j's or better), I lose about 80% of the time to TOTAL chasers, who later I find out were "depositors". Realizing that pretty much 90% of online poker is the "same ole same ole" crrrrap at times. Sooner I realize I won't be getting dealt good cards in a tourney cuz I am NOT a depositor, the better off I am of handling the donkwad betting by "depositors".:rolleyes:
lol. Or you're just bad.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK OK GUYS I stand corrected. IF I am ever in a postion to play a 10k game, and 2 guys are already all in before me I WILL CALL ALL IN with AA> thanks for making me a better player!

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK OK GUYS I stand corrected. IF I am ever in a postion to play a 10k game, and 2 guys are already all in before me I WILL CALL ALL IN with AA> thanks for making me a better player!
I sense sarcasm.

T

ThinkIllcallUwitha5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know you're done but I just want to say, I think the EV of this 3 way, versus likely all-in hands, is somewhere a little under 100% ROI. You are, in the long run, turning $10,000 into almost $20,000, just by calling. I know you don't want to bust out that early, but that's probably the fastest 100% return on your money anyone will ever make.

As always with poker, your short-term results may vary :p

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this as a case of can you fold aces preflop, not do you ?
do you ? I say...no.
but can you if the theory of survival first applies ?
I can fold aces post flop depending on the texture of the flop or flop and turn. etc.
but can I, preflop against 2 ?? again...I say no.
I cant fold aces preflop to only 2 opponents....add a few 4, 5 all ins in front of me.....
maybe I can survive by folding. but game theory if I'm correct is....aces ?
2,3,4,8,9 all ins...…..I think is call all bets preflop.

P

PedroePilar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good afternoon Mr. Wilson, I think he places an interesting and often key point in this game! The power in this game many times is to know how to play good cards, I think that going all in pre flop is like letting all your game remain in the hands of luck or the dealer on several occasions. Particularly I do not like the all in pre flop, because it is a sport that must be played and an all in pre flop does not have many times in a lot of sense. I think the answer to this question is to look at all the possible factors on hand to make the best decision. Best regards.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To AA or Not to AA Preflop - Sur

When I am in a % tournament and I have AA, I make attempts to go by what Mike Caro's advise was in his book, "Caro's Fundamental Secrets of Winning Poker", he said in reference to hold'em tournaments' that have % payouts, "Consistent with the concept of survival being more important than tiny advantages on a given hand you should often forgo raising before the flop." ... "Remember, you seldom have a big percentage edge before the flop with any hand in hold'em." ... "It just means raise less frequently than you usually would."
Since most of if not all tournaments we play are % payouts, if it's a matter of surviving, I will fold AA.
In my data, I show AA to be at only 61% win of 43 tries.Most success being from CO and least (surprisingly) from the button.
Good Luck with your games.
Dan'O

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh its getting in there without a doubt.... Either I triple up, or Im going home early.... either way I really dont care, I got it in right, and thats all i could hope for.

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I am in a % tournament and I have AA, I make attempts to go by what Mike Caro's advise was in his book, "Caro's Fundamental Secrets of Winning Poker", he said in reference to hold'em tournaments' that have % payouts, "Consistent with the concept of survival being more important than tiny advantages on a given hand you should often forgo raising before the flop." ... "Remember, you seldom have a big percentage edge before the flop with any hand in hold'em." ... "It just means raise less frequently than you usually would."
Since most of if not all tournaments we play are % payouts, if it's a matter of surviving, I will fold AA.
In my data, I show AA to be at only 61% win of 43 tries.Most success being from CO and least (surprisingly) from the button.
Good Luck with your games.
Dan'O
Dude 61% is huge it is poker you can't wait for 90% advantage. Also if you playmillion tournaments fold here will be losing you money which means it is not correct play

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The day i start folding AA in a tournement is the day i stop playing poker :D

Getting AA in the start of such huge tournement is a blessing you just cant refuse.
The chance to get a huge stack and dominate your table for a long time is beyond tempting.

You cant let fear of loosing hands dominate your mindset when playing poker, you
will end up loosing a ton, feeling bad, not getting ITM anyways and at the end you wish
you could timeloop yourself back to the moment you had AA :rolleyes:

That said, i have folded a AA, KK, QQ and AK a ton in satelites where i didnt want
to risk my ticket to the target tournement ;)

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with the 10k buy in considered...
it is still worth it to triple up, you are going to play 2-3 times the number of hands and take control early with a triple stack, that is why you are there, to be that guy.
you have to be willing to die at any time to win a tournament, that is something any MTT player will tell you.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am never folding AA in a regular tournament. In a satellite on the bubble or if I have a huge stack facing a bigger stack I may fold but not in a regular event. If I lose with aces so be it. Obviously that’s the hand I want every time I get dealt cards. Post flop I may see a need to fold but preflop it’s not happening.

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never folded AA. It's the strongest hand before the flop with which to play. We should not be scared, but on the other hand we need to be cautious. In time, as the hand goes, we will see where we are, but surely I would play with that hand anytime and anywhere on the tournament. Greeting!

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Just a short while ago, first hand.

907976eb68ee87f6d53aa10bfb66e037.png

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could never ever ever fold in that situation if I busted id still be happy with my play as it’s the right one

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would go all in all day in that situation

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played in different ways. It all depends on the tournament. The poker school for example in the first half of the distribution table can go all in. And even with the AA will be little chance. Но в heads up я буду коллировать. And in Sunday million, if in the first hand I need to call or fold my hand, I would probably fold. But that would be a very difficult decision.
Or it may be called. I dont know.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not see any reason to fold - if you get sucked out you can say you paid 10k for 1 Hand haha

But more than often you are trebled up and you can say you are chip leader in the main for a little bit hehe

C

ChipCommander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against two?! Definitely a call.

So you with AA mostly will find yourself against AA and KK; KK and KK; or KA and KK; KA and AA.

This is my opinion :cool:

This is actually not correct. They have a rule at the WSOP that doesn't allow 5 aces in a deck. :)

C

ChipCommander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think weaker players should definitely call with the AA as they are going to need to get lucky, but having an enormous chip lead when noone else will have a stack big enough for it to make chips faster is not going to be a huge blessing, though it would allow you to go all in without getting knocked out for quite some time and make you look more intimidating. With 300BB though, you should have plenty of chips to make some great decisions with the long blind rounds in that huge of a tournament. Because it is the start of the tournament it means that the stronger players aren't likely to be conglomerated at your particular table. Perhaps it is worth giving up a decent edge on the players for stacks at this time knowing that you will likely be able to easily get their chips anyway with much less risk in the future. If your poker style is super aggressive and risky with smaller edges and you plan to be risking your stack in those situations in the future against stacks larger than yours, then folding would be pretty silly imho.

That being said. I think it would be hard to fold them. :) You can't really fault anyone either way and if you are good enough to fold them then you are probably good enough to also get another ticket and make a lot of money while waiting for next year. Unless you have a super high probability of getting in the money every time you play a call here isn't a bad idea.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm very discreet with this hand because in most cases I lose against the small cart

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm with the vast majority here, there's no way I'm folding AA, even if it is a $10,000 tournament and I just sat down. Of course if you're there just there to meet some great poker players and socialize for as long as you can, sure fold them, but you'll never win.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker