A million-dollar tournament, and your AA gets cracked by......AA! What would you do?

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
"Backers". In my mind when you "back" someone, you are supporting them. You are saying I have faith in you to do a good job.
If his backers are complaining, what exactly would they do differently in this situation? Flat the initial raise? Just call the 4-bet? Maybe he should have folded pre-flop? Seriously? Come on! We all dream of 5-betting all in with AA and getting called, but we also all know that they are not invincible. Anyone not happy with his play, doesn't know what they're talking about and probably shouldn't be investing, 4, 5 or 6 figures in a poker game.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would tell those backers that there was no escape and if they continue to be furious about it i let them be and shrug my shoulder 🤷

Then i would go home, vape some weed and forget about it.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Of course, everyone feels bad when the strongest hand is eliminated.....Unfortunately, it happens to everyone who plays on a daily basis!So that's all I can say to the sponsors...I don't throw AA if the danger is not predictable, like e.g. the opponent does not have the opportunity to draw cards of a color or a continuous row.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would explain a simple logic: imagine if it was AA vs. AKs: aces would have 88% equity vs. 12%. You, dear backers, still would have a 12% chance of losing. Now, in AA vs. AA, you have only 2% chance of losing (which are also the same 2% of being the winner!). I don't see a plausible reason you would be mad about it. If it was AA vs AK, would you be happier just because AA are now the most likely outcome is a win and not a split?

We are playing poker, a game where everyday people are willing to risk money even in coin flips, or 60-40s, or 70-30s, and in the best situations, 80-20s or 85-15s, and that's why poker can be lucrative. Also, who buys a piece of action knows what can happen. If you are willing to have a sure return, invest in low-yield fixed investments and don't lose anything whatsoever. ;)

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My backers would know i played the hand properly and just ran into some bad luck . If you start with AA you just keep raising pre flop and come out way ahead long term .Sometimes the poker gods are against you !

A

Anna Brito

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I had a difficult situation and I had gold and cups and the other player with KK cups and spades random cards on the flop but 2 were spades and I went all-in, 2 more spades came in and I lost. Anything you say won't help him and the player and the others are investors they will never understand, I would also do the same, the unlikely thing he found.

ficticius

ficticius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
In these cases I would explain to them the decisions I made and why I did it. I would show them what was the best option at the time and tell them that in up to the river poker, nothing is certain most of the time.

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would just regret it! I would go ahead with my head held high, knowing that I played a good game... Someone has to lose, right? Even if it's painfully with AA.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would tell the backers to find somebody else to back because there is no way to play the hand differently. Ask any poker coach or teacher if they would play it differently. If they said they would, then please post their name and explanation here , so I will know who not to take advice from. That happening is rare , and it would be like criticizing a person with QUAD ACES on a board that has 2 aces and 3 cards to a Royal Flush for shoving all in.

Brigistul

Brigistul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
That's why poker is a game full of adrenaline, because you can lose big versus unpretentious cards but to which acts luck! and here was luck in the middle and bad luck for the other!Both did the right thing and those who criticize should shut up!

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shake hands and move onn.. It's a card game.. If you can't take it, try chess..

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Luck in poker has never been canceled, 1 time out of 5 even 72o wins against AA.

mammadduke

mammadduke

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i prob would scream in my head but thats poker.. its all in the flop of the cards.. ive had my AA beat so many times with a 22 or lower pair or even when someone wins off a 5-6 and gets a straight. thats the poker life.. no starting hand is a guaranteed win in poker

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember that hand.., the hand is explained for her self.
Both players played the hand very well . Drinan open raise, Katz 3bet, Drinan 4 bet allin with the best cards, Katz call with the best hand too. Nothing to explain, one crazy bad beat there...
Its hard to fold AA preflop, I think I could fold there only on a bubble situation.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There would be no other way to play this hand, if a person doesn't understand this then they don't understand anything about poker.
There was a small chance of it happening and it did, so all you have to do is regret it and lift your head.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nothing to regret or explain to anyone.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't do anything. But this whole thing would be a big donkey.

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
this is of course surprising, but it’s okay, it happens, it’s poker

bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think shoving at the turn was the only thing he could do to avoid a little hearts flush being made at the river. Of course I would be shocked already to see AA with the hearts in the other hand before the river is shown ...so to be honest, I would be very embarassed after that situation and make a break in playing poker for minimum two days :)

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I would tell the sponsor that this is a theory of probability and not my fault.

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would get up from the table and loudly say to the winner: "NH, now you owe me a 6 pack of ( enter favorite beer) so I can go cry"

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I will tell my sponsors that they need to take a free 30-day CardsChat training course, and I will send them a link in the messenger.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
“This is the best possible hand preflop, I couldn't play it any other way because I wanted to make money for you. Sorry, but this is poker and there are no hands with a 100% guarantee of winning. You should have understood that by investing in poker you expose your investment to a certain risk!!!"

Argonaut

Argonaut

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be disappointed of course, but if you play enough hands, this will happen eventually. While the situation is extreme, in terms of the amount of money involved, it is still poker, and poker happens dude, get over it. I'm also sure if the backers had been with the winning player, they would have been fine with winning, so whatever they have to say about it is Monday morning quarterbacking after the correct call was made in the first place.

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Experiencing a bad beat like that can be incredibly frustrating, it's important to stay composed and focused.
Take a deep breath and remind yourself that bad beats are a part of poker.
And remember, There's always a chance to recover and make a deep run in the tournament.