$1-2 MTT - is it really rise bankroll?

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think - is it really rise bankroll if regularly play MTT $1 or $2?

What bankroll you need for begin?

What room better for low buy-in tournaments?

How often you need to play this tournaments to double-up BR?

Last edited:
jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I am not sure if I understand your question completely. Maybe it is a bad translation, but my thoughts on $1-2 buy-ins for MTT's, if you are playing to learn and/or just starting a bankroll, you can look at ACR and they have many of these $1- $2.20 tournaments with either a $1000 or 2000 guaranteed. Now, I know there is alot of runners depending on the time, but if you can work your way into the final tables, you will make a decent profit. As you become a better , more profitable player, you may not want to spend 6-8 hours on these kind of tournaments. I think they are a great way to begin playing multi-tables and getting in real hands is very important. Just studying without playing is difficult. This way ,you can play many tournaments with a $100 bankroll or even less. Just my opinion EDIT: Yes, pokerstars has these MTT's also. I am from US so ACR was first site, I thought of, I am not making any judgement on how good or bad each site is

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like stated above, you should have 100 buyins for your level. Tho when playing small stakes or building from freerolls this is hard to do.
Bankroll management is so important, especially in large field mtts, so just cuz you hit a $50+ win, don’t start playing bigger games and lose it all in a downswing.
As for poker rooms, they all have low buyin games, Stars being the best for traffic and selection. I like 888, smaller easy competition but not nearly enough games.
Good luck

M

Muckutoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$200 bankroll seems extremely excessive for just playing $2 tournaments. I saw a tip from Chris Ferguson about 10 years ago that I feel very comfortable with, and that is “ Play with 5% of your Bankroll.” To follow that advice, you only need a $40 bankroll. That does mean that if you go on a losing streak and dip below that amount, then you should lower your buy ins too, but some players have difficulty accepting this, therefore they eventually lose it all

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, english is not the native language of OP, but as I understand his post, he is mainly asking if 1,1-2,2$ MTTs are a good way to build up a bankroll.

And to this I would have to say no. Someone asking this question is probably new to poker, because why else do they need to build up a bankroll? And I dont think, MTTs are the best place to start getting experience with poker. They are rather complex games, and they require a lot of time commitment, since those with regular speed blinds typically last for something like 5-6 hours.

Its much better to start practicing with either cash games or SnGs. Cash games are ideal for learning the fundamentals of poker and playing with deeper stacks, since you basically just play your hand, and you dont need to worry about payjumps or changing blinds or anything.

SnGs on the other hand are ideal for getting experience with playing a short stack and the whole tactical game of tournaments with payjumps and trying to outlast other players. They are also ideal for getting experience with shorthanded play, which you need to master, because even in MTTs a lot of the money is made or lost in the final playout between the last 3-5 people.

MTTs are also not good for "bankroll building", because they have way to much variance. Especially those with a low buyin like 1,1$ or 2,2$ will often have large fields like 1.000+ players, which mean, you will only reach the final table in 1 out of 100 or something in that magnitude. This mean, that losing for several month in a row is completely normal and expected, and then suddenly you hit a big win, where you get your money back 50 or 100 times.

For bankroll building you want games with lower variance like again cash games or SnGs. Or small field MTTs, which mean something like 100-200 or even less players. But the issue is, many poker sites dont have these, if you want to play for just 1,1-2,2$. On PokerStars for instance the field in a 1,1 or 2,2$ MTT is huge, especially if you want to play during peak hours.

So for all those reasons MTTs are best left for a bit later in a poker career. A reasonable starting deposit can be something like 100$, and then you either start grinding 2-5 NL cash games or 1-2$ SnGs and go from there. The time to get into MTTs is when, you have build up your role to something like 500$, so that you can play a mixture of 2,2-5,5$ games.

This is also about spending your time effectively, and if you are going to commit 5-6 hours to playing an MTT, there should be some decent prices up top to fight for, and you should not need to outlast 2.000 people to get to these prices. And this is why, playing MTTs for something like 5,5$ is way better than just 1,1$.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
on the account of the bankroll for micro cis I will say that 30 buy-ins will be too aggressive a bankroll, but from 75+ it is already serious and you need to strive for 100 or more in order to feel comfortable and not feel drawdowns. and about formatting, it is better to play cis po with blinds of 10 minutes, so you will reduce your variance and increase your winrate

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Today PokerStars Bankroll Builder $2.2

I think, you mean Bounty Builder and not Bankroll Builder? Bounty Builder is the name of one of PokerStars most popular series of tournaments, that run every day. The format was recently modified, so that they are now 8-max tournaments starting with 100BB. There are also "on demand" turbo Bounty Builders, which only start with 50BB.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, you mean Bounty Builder and not Bankroll Builder? Bounty Builder is the name of one of PokerStars most popular series of tournaments, that run every day. The format was recently modified, so that they are now 8-max tournaments starting with 100BB. There are also "on demand" turbo Bounty Builders, which only start with 50BB.
Yep, you're right - but for me this is Bounty "Bankroll" Builder.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, you're right - but for me this is Bounty "Bankroll" Builder.

In my experience they are some of the softest MTTs on PokerStars at least in the micros. So if you have the time for them and can live with high variance, then they are some of the better games to play. This also goes for the 3,3$ "on demand" turbo version. A tournament like the 2,2$ "big" is often significantly more reg infested, presumably because a lot of rec player find bounty hunting funny.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
$200 bankroll seems extremely excessive for just playing $2 tournaments. I saw a tip from Chris Ferguson about 10 years ago that I feel very comfortable with, and that is “ Play with 5% of your Bankroll.” To follow that advice, you only need a $40 bankroll. That does mean that if you go on a losing streak and dip below that amount, then you should lower your buy ins too, but some players have difficulty accepting this, therefore they eventually lose it all

The 5% of your bankroll is for cash game play (20 buyins).

Most MTT players actually suggest to be bankrolled for 200 buyins for MTT's (100 buyins is a tad aggressive BRM). In lower buyins, I'd assume one could have less buyins with the fields being as soft as they are (as long as OP has a huge edge on the field... but even then we need a large number of buyins to account for variance).

OP, something to consider while playing MTT's is to be sure to add in smaller field tourneys (less entrants). On Stars you might want to play in some of the 300 CAP tourneys, where there's only a maximum of 300 entrants allowed.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The 5% of your bankroll is for cash game play (20 buyins).

And even in cash games you can only get away with this, if you play in absurdly soft games, which hardly even excist today. Also Cris Furguson is not exactly someone, I would consider a trustworthy person to take advice from, given that he was deeply involved in full tilt poker and the massive scam, that took place there ;)

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think yes.

1000 $.

PokerStars

4-8 tournaments per day.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes, it does, just checking few of your posted hands, you can see why.

Bankroll: I would say, if you play average 1,6$ on an average 600-1k field, you need 200BI on normal, slow speed (around 300-350$), if you play turbo or hyper, too probably better count on double (around 700$)

Rooms:

Depends on what time of the day you can play, how flexible you are by time, maybe you are ready for playing in night or not.
Everybody runs to PS, but avoid Pokerstars! at least for beginning. main reason: High fee 12%???, no real rakeback, even if it means almost nothing on micro tourneys.
Play in different rooms, all have some good micro tourneys (and all have less fees), some have tourney leaderboards, too. Look for normal, slow, max turbo small field tourneys, play as much as you can. Also don't miss the overlay tourneys. Basically almost all rooms have few 5-10% overlay tourneys in given time of the day.
I would avoid the bounty, KO tourneys. (generally don't like them much, but starting from a small bankroll, it can mess up variance more, can be wilder)

Chico rooms have daily few very micro (1-2$) tourneys, WPN also, but not even both together gives you 10/day, so these are good for as a side rooms or adding few more. (+both rooms have annoyingly slow, long late reg tourneys... they have few turbos, those are okay)
I would play in GG mainly especially at the beginning, that's a must, i think, if you think it seriously. They have a 0,5-2$ bankroll builder tourneys, starting every 15-30 min through the day, and these tourneys don't have fees, (you know what it means, all the reg cost goes in the prize pool, the room doesnt take off from that.) The field was very weak there, when i played those regularly, half+ year ago. Average 100 players/tourney,(depends on time between 50-200) so you can play plenty in a day. And once again: you don't pay any rake!!! Playing only these, you need a much smaller bankroll, i think max 100$ should be enough for the start.
They also have small field regular 2$ tourneys, next to that.

I can't play on 888, but i heard it is good for that, too or partypoker.

Double up bankroll:

It is pretty much a meaningless question like this, let's see what ROI you have example after 1K tourney with an average 200-250 regs field. Then you can count it on for yourself.
But honestly, I think you need a bigger sample for that.

For example: ROI: 20% Bankroll: 300$ , Av. reg cost: 1,5$ You should play 1000 tourneys... but you can do it better on micros, especially if you start on GG with the no fee, rake taken bankroll builders (compare to Pokerstars already 12% stays in your pocket, and you still didn't do anything, huge difference!!!!) + register different rooms and take a lot attention for your tourney selection. (harder to manage it than write, say it...)

GL!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Bankroll: I would say, if you play average 1,6$ on an average 600-1k field, you need 200BI on normal, slow speed (around 300-350$), if you play turbo or hyper, too probably better count on double (around 700$)

Rooms:

Depends on what time of the day you can play, how flexible you are by time, maybe you are ready for playing in night or not.
Everybody runs to PS, but avoid Pokerstars! at least for beginning. main reason: High fee 12%???, no real rakeback, even if it means almost nothing on micro tourneys.
Play in different rooms, all have some good micro tourneys (and all have less fees), some have tourney leaderboards, too. Look for normal, slow, max turbo small field tourneys, play as much as you can. Also don't miss the overlay tourneys. Basically almost all rooms have few 5-10% overlay tourneys in given time of the day.
I would avoid the bounty, KO tourneys. (generally don't like them much, but starting from a small bankroll, it can mess up variance more, can be wilder)

Chico rooms have daily few very micro (1-2$) tourneys, WPN also, but not even both together gives you 10/day, so these are good for as a side rooms or adding few more. (+both rooms have annoyingly slow, long late reg tourneys... they have few turbos, those are okay)
I would play in GG mainly especially at the beginning, that's a must, i think, if you think it seriously. They have a 0,5-2$ bankroll builder tourneys, starting every 15-30 min through the day, and these tourneys don't have fees, (you know what it means, all the reg cost goes in the prize pool, the room doesnt take off from that.) The field was very weak there, when i played those regularly, half+ year ago. Average 100 players/tourney,(depends on time between 50-200) so you can play plenty in a day. And once again: you don't pay any rake!!! Playing only these, you need a much smaller bankroll, i think max 100$ should be enough for the start.

Double up bankroll:

It is pretty much a meaningless question like this, let's see what ROI you have example after 1K tourney with an average 200-250 regs field. Then you can count it on for yourself.

For example: ROI: 20% Bankroll: 300$ , Av. reg cost: 1,5$ You should play 1000 tourneys... but you can do it better on micros, especially if you start on GG with the no fee, rake taken bankroll builders (compare to Pokerstars already 12% stays in your pocket, and you still didn't do anything, huge difference!!!!) + register different rooms and take a lot attention for your tourney selection. (harder to manage it than write, say it...)

GL!

Excellent response! I'm going to tell a friend to read it over as it's got a lot of great info. I'm sure they will benefit from.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Rooms:

Double up bankroll:

GL!
Thanks, but my country not allow on GGPoker:confused:

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management