Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
. I have been playing Jakarta for 8c on titan came 2nd once and got 18c lol.

Yeah I dont know how long you've played poker but playing and finishing 2nd and winning 18c is highly depressing lol....
AlfieAA, these are 10cent 6max SNG's on Titan. (so 18cents is pretty much standard payout for any 6max 2nd place finish).
I'm thinking you were of the assumption 'Jakarta' was some tournament or something???

EvertonGirl,
imo, keep playing those 10cent single-table SNG's (maybe play the 10-player ones instead).
I'm not sure what the play is like in them, but I imagine they'll be great practise for sure.
When I first started playing online I played 10cent SNG's on DoylesRoom. They were a great oppurtunity to practise on the cheap (& even slowly build a low-risk small bankroll). Back then ('07) the play in those 10cent SNG's was tighter than the $1 (& $1.50) sng's on Stars & FTP. They were far better than playing in freerolls & were decent practise for playing SNG's.
I actually built up a bankroll on Doyles, starting off with a $2 freeroll win & then playing alot of those 10c SNG's. It was fun at the time. Actually built that roll to over $1,000 (with the help of a $15 freeroll cash).

Also, I would strongly suggest to forget about getting a HUD. You don't need it imo. (at least not until you've got a decent-sized roll & are playing multiple tables at a buyin that makes it worthwhile.). Focus on the basics & get a solid foundation before you bother considering something like a HUD.

Lastly. Not sure how you're using Pokerstove (I'm a bit confused from reading your posts).
For help on using Pokerstove (& what it's useful applications are) try searching for a tutorial vid. on Youtube.
(maybe look for some SNG vids. too,.... or check for a book at your local library > "Secrets of Sit'n'gos by Phil Shaw", or maybe google search "The SNG Blueprint" < it's a free e-book you might find helpful)

gl

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I kind of use different size raises so I never raise the same total.

The only thing I keep to with betting is that I never limp in
It depends a bit on the players on your table, but in general in early blind levels raise 3xbb, and once blinds are higher raise 2.5xbb.
'IF' the players are uber-loose (in super-micro buyin, ie. lots of mult-way pots) &/or you know villain always calls in blinds (as some typically do) then consider raising a bit more preflop > 4xbb (early levels).

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
AlfieAA, these are 10cent 6max SNG's on Titan. (so 18cents is pretty much standard payout for any 6max 2nd place finish).
I'm thinking you were of the assumption 'Jakarta' was some tournament or something???

EvertonGirl,
imo, keep playing those 10cent single-table SNG's (maybe play the 10-player ones instead).
I'm not sure what the play is like in them, but I imagine they'll be great practise for sure.
When I first started playing online I played 10cent SNG's on DoylesRoom. They were a great oppurtunity to practise on the cheap (& even slowly build a low-risk small bankroll). Back then ('07) the play in those 10cent SNG's was tighter than the $1 (& $1.50) sng's on Stars & FTP. They were far better than playing in freerolls & were decent practise for playing SNG's.
I actually built up a bankroll on Doyles, starting off with a $2 freeroll win & then playing alot of those 10c SNG's. It was fun at the time. Actually built that roll to over $1,000 (with the help of a $15 freeroll cash).

Also, I would strongly suggest to forget about getting a HUD. You don't need it imo. (at least not until you've got a decent-sized roll & are playing multiple tables at a buyin that makes it worthwhile.). Focus on the basics & get a solid foundation before you bother considering something like a HUD.

Lastly. Not sure how you're using Pokerstove (I'm a bit confused from reading your posts).
For help on using Pokerstove (& what it's useful applications are) try searching for a tutorial vid. on Youtube.
(maybe look for some SNG vids. too,.... or check for a book at your local library > "Secrets of Sit'n'gos by Phil Shaw", or maybe google search "The SNG Blueprint" < it's a free e-book you might find helpful)

gl

I think I have done 1 10 handed jakarta. I came third :)

Thanks for the advice on the sngs its awesome and helps a lot.

On pokerstove I just enter what cards I have and set the other players at the table to random, then I look at my percentage pre-flop to see if I want to play the hand. I looked at the videos on youtube before I downloaded it :D

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I kind of use different size raises so I never raise the same total.

The only thing I keep to with betting is that I never limp in
#

If you vary your raises it makes it easier for a better player to put you on a hand.If you keep the raise the same regardless of position they will find it a lot harder to put you on a hand.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When using stove, you would be better putting ranges for villians instead of random....and I know it will be hard to do without a hud, but say for example that you get pocket Aces and you raise in ep/mp and an agressive player calls and you go heads up on the flop.....instead of putting your aces against random in stove you could give the agressive player say 60-80% depending ofcourse on how agressive you notice he is.....if you are up against a nit you could put 5-10% range of hands...there are different range percentages for different player types...but its still possible to do without a hud if you know the stats/%'s....

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When using stove, you would be better putting ranges for villians instead of random....and I know it will be hard to do without a hud,
Why do you think this would be hard to do w/o a hud in a super micro game (MTT or SNG format) while 1 or 2-tabling?
Also, using Stove isn't necessary (or even useful) in this sort of spot.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you think this would be hard to do w/o a hud in a super micro game (MTT or SNG format) while 1 or 2-tabling?
Also, using Stove isn't necessary (or even useful) in this sort of spot.

Well I'm assuming that evertongirl is a new player, which means she won't yet know all the numbers, so until she learned them, yeah it would be fairly difficult doing without any experience....

You're right, stove isn't that useful when you have Aces...because we are always favourite anyway so its about getting it in...but she could use it for other spots and learn about equity......

N

Nick pokerfuse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This. If you want a equity calculator you cant beat PokerStove and its free so dont be wasting your money on another one with out trying it Stove first.

I think the free Equilab (you may have to sign up for a free PokerStrategy account to get it now, not sure) beats PokerStove in every way. Stove was great, but it's pretty slow and the interface is frustrating to use.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I am not a new player to poker, have been playing for a few years just never knew about HUDs and poker odds calculators :D

I have been playing online for a few years on pokerstars just never played as much as I do now

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a new player to poker, have been playing for a few years just never knew about HUDs and poker odds calculators :D

I have been playing online for a few years on pokerstars just never played as much as I do now

Cool, it will deffo help your understanding of the game...I've just downloaded equilab, and I must say, I think its a lot better than pokerstove...give it a try...and I wouldn't worry about huds just now...although you could always try the trial then after that finishes you could try poketracker 4 on trial...will give you a few months to play about with it to see what you think :)

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Cheers I might give that a go :)

Poker Odds Calculator Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator