Ask PokerTableRatings.com Your Questions

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey PTR, how's business without being able to track FTP play for what 2-3 weeks now? Care to tell us the technical details of what they did to shut you out? I'm sure you're scrambling for a fix but it's got to be getting expensive no?

Have a great weekend although I'm sure you'll be working. :)

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey PTR, how's business without being able to track FTP play for what 2-3 weeks now? Care to tell us the technical details of what they did to shut you out? I'm sure you're scrambling for a fix but it's got to be getting expensive no?

lmao. I love your sarcasm WV.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had to LOL at FTPDoug's update thread today at 2p2:

46. Did PokerTableRatings stop working for FTP?

- Huh. Weird.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe some are happy...but PTR is a major reason some are able to hunt down MAers, scammers and Trade thiefs.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe some are happy...but PTR is a major reason some are able to hunt down MAers, scammers and Trade thiefs.
FT(as well as all of the other sites) have all of these stats available to them as well and find those people all of the time. I have gotten numerous reimbursements from FT due to cheating of some sort, and I'm guessing PTR had nothing to do with any of those.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PTR has had tens of thousands of happy customers. To our knowledge, no funds have ever been confiscated and no one has ever been permanently banned. We don't have all the details of DiscoBisco's particular case but it seems like vizer02 made it his mission to get DiscoBisco suspended.

10's of thousand of happy customers, at last you admitted your a business with a profit in mind. PS has 10M players, 1% is pretty crap. Hopefully someone will accuse you of rape and shut you down, ala wikileaks. After all, your both hackers. At least be honest about it.

BTW, have a crack at getting past my pointsec endpoint.

Last edited:
Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you know what a bad beat is ? That hand is a "cooler" - neither player played it bad.

A bad beat is a 1%, runner, runner hitting.

Being situated in Hamilton is a bit of a cooler right now,:D

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had to LOL at FTPDoug's update thread today at 2p2:

haha read i read that earlier today when browsing 2p2. he answered alot of questions though. interesting to hear people's reactions

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
10's of thousand of happy customers, at last you admitted your a business with a profit in mind. PS has 10M players, 1% is pretty crap. Hopefully someone will accuse you of rape and shut you down, ala wikileaks. After all, your both hackers. At least be honest about it.

BTW, have a crack at getting past my pointsec endpoint.

Simply lol at this post, they are not hackers. I find PTR ridiculously useful and it provides a lot of interesting info. If PTR is shut down, you'll just get more people datamining hands and sharing only with their grinding groups, so it won't improve the situation - if anything, it will make it worse IMO.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simply lol at this post, they are not hackers. I find PTR ridiculously useful and it provides a lot of interesting info. If PTR is shut down, you'll just get more people datamining hands and sharing only with their grinding groups, so it won't improve the situation - if anything, it will make it worse IMO.

PTR pretty much singlehandedly killed most action at heads-up NLHE games

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Disagree on virtually all points, at least as far as mining/selling HHs go.

First, when you obviously jump through the hoops they do to get around the anti-datamining steps of the sites, it can absolutely be considered "hacking." Having been a "hacker" myself in a variety of different contexts throughout my 20+ years in the software engineering field, it certainly fits the definition in my eyes.

Second, of course it has interesting info. Illicit info is usually interesting. I've admittedly used it to get an idea of how others see me -- which actually works in my favor now, since my game has improved greatly but I haven't put in the cash volume since to offset my huge downswings early on. Conversely, I've also used it to get an idea of some specific players' overall win/loss records to gauge how good/bad they were (while keeping in mind that it isn't always a reliable indicator, as with me). I don't have as much of a problem with their reporting of results, same as with other sites like HighStakesDB and OPR, and to some degree sharkscope, that just report results (albeit sites like OPR do it legitimately and with the nod of Stars/FT as long as certain conditions are met). But when you're talking purchased HHs, that's info that you arguably have no right to if you weren't involved in the game. In a lot of players' opinions, that is cheating and BAD for the game. And regardless of any of our opinions of it, it is categorically in violation of every major sites' TOS.

Third, you won't get more people datamining hands because it's extremely difficult to do on the scale that PTR does it, especially for the most popular sites like Stars and (now, oops!) FT. In case you haven't noticed, Stars pretty much killed routine datamining a long time ago, which is why small-time dataminers pretty much gave up on them. It looks like maybe FT is heading in that direction too. Only the biggest providers like PTR have managed to "hack" through it. They have the resources to develop the techniques and to monitor and screen-scrape massive numbers of tables at once, plus the scrubbing, collating, and packaging that volume of data for sale. And even then, PTR misses an awful lot of hands, due to the imperfect and hackish methods they use to capture the data.

All of that said, my one conflicting view about PTR is that they provide a publicly accessible source of data to investigate and root out cheaters and scandals. Of course the sites themselves have this data, but how often have they initiated investigations and come forward with this information on their own? Rarely. The largest and most prominent scandals and cheats have been uncovered by other poker players using PTR and similar resources to investigate and study suspicious HHs. Only after it became obvious that things were shady, did the sites themselves seem to take an active stance. So I could tolerate PTR's existence a lot more if they simply didn't offer HHs for purchase like they do. Of course then they may not exist since that's probably a primary component of their business model.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would ask what major cheating scandals have been unearthed using PTR?

josephs333

josephs333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey WVHillbilly

Do you play any at the Tri-State Poker Room?

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most recent that comes to mind is the stox collusion scandal. The PTR site was not only used, but IIRC PTR worked directly with the investigating players to provide HHs for the suspect games.

Although I'm not sure that's considered major on the scale of Absolute Poker/Ultimatebet. It's been too long since I dug through those and don't recall if PTR history played any role in that or not.

PTR also uncovered and demonstrated the extremely weak encryption (and sometimes lack thereof) with both Ultimatebet and Cake, forcing both to admit to it and beef up their protocols. Although that didn't involve HHs.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are they the ones who actually found out about the weak encryption or are they just the ones that made it public? I can't remember, but the latter would probably be more likely I would assume.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PTR were the ones that found the weak encryption. I don't read 2+2 much but I listen to Pokercast at work and they spent a lot of airtime on that.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too busy trying to track hands on FTP I would imagine. Hacking is hard work.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They must have laid Michael off due to lack of funds coming in because no one wants old HH's.

PTR

PTR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

PTR has unearthed the following:
  1. A 10-account bot ring on PokerStars that played over 8,000,000 hands and generated over $180,000 in rake: http://www.pokertableratings.com/blog/2010/07/bot-ring-discovered-on-poker-stars/
  2. Weak encryption and security on UB/Absolute: http://www.pokertableratings.com/blog/2010/05/ptr-security-alert-cereus-poker-network/
  3. Weak encryption and security on Cake: http://www.pokertableratings.com/blog/2010/07/ptr-security-alert-cake-poker-uses-weak-encryption/
PTR's data has helped in the following:
  1. The collusion investigation on Stoxtrader, the founder of the poker training site stoxpoker.com (has been acquired by Cardrunners): http://www.pokertableratings.com/blog/2010/04/stoxpoker-collusion-investigation/

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I was aware of three of those 4 things (didn't know about the Stars bot ring). Still not enough good to offset the bad imo.

Any word on FTP tracking? Looks like about 40% of hands at my stakes recently. Are your customers getting discounts?