Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad news for Cereus and the entire online poker community, even if it is just incompetence. This will add to the allegations of fraud and conspiracy theories about online poker.

I am wondering? What some members:eek: here are thinking that flamed others for suggesting that this kind of thing could happen. I'm referring more specifically to seeing others' hole cards. (rigged poker thread)

Never say Never!:D

I've never seen anyone getting flamed for suggesting seeing others' hole cards on some site was a possibility, especially since it happend already in 2007 with UB/AP.

Where did you see that? I call shananigans unless you quote it!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea - the rigged poker thing is a whole separate issue and has nothing to do with this.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry for the derail but this is funny!:icon_thum :D

Attachments

• daks.JPG
    daks.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 130
T

tearedtotears

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One more reason to dislike UB: Helmuth as promotion face with his strange looking jersey + ugly design + the cheat stuff again.. thought they would change a lot after the Potripper scandal on absolute.. seems like i'm wrong :D

T

The Dr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been out of the loop for a while, but played Ultimatebet again last night & today, only change I have noticed is that the games seem weaker than last week :)

Seriously the competition is so weak I have built up the free $10 they sent me to over $40 now and I hope this doesn't stop muppets playing there.

As for info, if someone wants to sit outside my house and wait for me to log in to get $40 then good luck to them, for 1 it's raing, 2 it' cold and 3 I love these world is going to end type posts.

I would have a different outlook if I had a few $1000s in there, but not going to happen for a long time yet playing micro levels.
Oh so you're greedy and only care about yourself? How about caring about the poker community in general? Alot of people do have $1000's of dollars on that site, so just because you don't, who cares?

You are the kind of people that give the community a bad name.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh so you're greedy and only care about yourself? How about caring about the poker community in general? Alot of people do have $1000's of dollars on that site, so just because you don't, who cares?

Hey "The DR".

I see you are new here. Why not just settle down a little. He was just expressing his opinion as someone with little to risk at that site and the perception that the games are mega soft.

Seems you showed up right at the time of this scandal, and you are welcome here, I am sure. They allow me after all.

I just recommend a slight jet-cooling.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hey "The DR".

I see you are new here. Why not just settle down a little. He was just expressing his opinion as someone with little to risk at that site and the perception that the games are mega soft.

Seems you showed up right at the time of this scandal, and you are welcome here, I am sure. They allow me after all.

ditto :)

T

The Dr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey "The DR".

Being a moderator on twoplustwo.com I have notified every single poker forum of the situation at UB. I made a thread here and it got merged with this one. No problem.

As a community over at twoplustwo and pocketfives we feel very strongly about anyone being a member at UB in turn showing support for them.

My opinion stands. If you play there, you give the poker community a bad name. Soft or not.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a moderator on twoplustwo.com I have notified every single poker forum of the situation at Ultimatebet. I made a thread here and it got merged with this one. No problem.

As a community over at twoplustwo and pocketfives we feel very strongly about anyone being a member at Ultimatebet in turn showing support for them.

My opinion stands. If you play there, you give the poker community a bad name. Soft or not.

While understanding, and agreeing with, the concerns surrounding the security issues here, is it really a "disgrace to the poker community" to play at these sites? And are we bad people for supporting "cheaters" by playing there? Little over the top imo. Let me ask you this Doc. Have you ever voted for a politician, either locally or nationally, who was caught in some sort of a scam? If so does that make you a "disgrace to the community"? Btw I have an account with UB and will wait for this issue to be resolved before playing there again. A warning is appreciated, but to lecture?...freedom of choice my friend:)

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never seen anyone getting flamed for suggesting seeing others' hole cards on some site was a possibility, especially since it happend already in 2007 with Ultimatebet/Absolute Poker.

Where did you see that? I call shananigans unless you quote it!

Not here to discuss rigging and no shenanegins intended!

Post 3570 (Spurssss) in the rigged poker mega-thread. A small portion of the entire thread:

AND JUST BE AWARE, NO poker site'S ENCRYPTION SOFTWARE IS WATERTIGHT....a computer programmer with proprietary software can break the codes and see your cards..there is NO OTHER EXPLANATION as to why the sites keep updating their software to your computer every few days. Just remember, a skilled hacker can break the code in minutes, poker sites cannot keep the sites updated frequently enough.

Most of the negative responses to this and other posts by Spurssss came about as a result of his unyielding (Rigged) position, and I take no position on the accuracy of his post. One of many negative remarks following that post included a reference to his tinfoil hat.

Where will this latest UB debacle go as it relates to the possibility of determining a player(s) cards? I don't know, but its certainly being discussed in this thread now. As for some of the remarks made about some members in this forum, (some in jest, but at their expense), I'll leave for another day.

Last edited:
Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I don't think any site is 100% safe from this kind of thing, hackers can hack just about anything if they put their mind to it, the trick is not to get caught. Last night I was flicking from site to site looking for a decent GTD PLO8 tourney or Stud h/l and came across a $60 buyin $5k GTD pool that was running on a Merge site, what caught my eye was the number of chips the leader had relavent to the pack. I watched for a while and his hand win rate was ridiculous and many hands were won before showdown as if he knew the other players missed the board. I then noticed a strange symbol on his avatar and checked out his 'accolades'. It turned out to be monthly MTT leaderboard winner, he also had accolades for the following, wsop seat winner, winner $50k freeroll, Olympic Alpine event winner, Olympic Alpine event 3rd. I Sharkscoped the guy and discovered he plays MTT's only @ merge and is showing a profit of $36,510. Pretty impressive for an mtt player on such a small ( prize wise ) site. Check the dude out, AbrahamBinkin on PDC.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pls don't clutter this thread w discussions of other sites, it's specific to Cereus at this point. Also pls refrain from "I told you so" discussions - a (very serious) security flaw was demonstrated, not rigging per se nor a demonstration that the flaw was exploited by Cereus, its employees, or by players on the Cereus network.

Note that I'm not claiming rigging/hacking didn't occur, just that I don't think "I told you so" is helping. Regardless of intent to create a security flaw, imo the management team has demonstrated the site can't be trusted whether they left the security hole open intentionally or not (purely personal opinion fwiw).

This is not to diminish the situation nor to squash genuine discussion - just trying to keep this thread from degenerating into backbiting and witch hunts.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This guy is right..
teflon19 says: May 7, 2010 at 10:51 pm
I know UB has had a checkered past with security, but I think I need to call out PTR on this one. Playing at home on a WPA2 secured network is a moderate-low risk? Total rubbish. Forget WPA being compromised, yes it’s possible, but somebody with the knowledge and equipment to do it has bigger fish to fry than some suburban house, those people target large banks and are interested in trade secrets and credit card numbers, not $100 in a poker account.
If someone has access to your home network they either broke your WEP encryption or they infected a comp on your home network with some malware from the internet. The people capable of breaking wireless encryption are few and far between. Yes it’s fairly straightforward, but not many people are willing to spend the time and effort to learn how to do it and get the necessary equipment. So you can write that one off(although you should be using WPA as it’s easier to use as well as being more secure).
If your comp has malware, everything on it is compromised already, web banking, online shopping, they probably already have your credit card details, who cares about your poker account? A keylogger will get your login details and a simple app like vnc will get your holecards in realtime no problem.
If you run a wireless network with no encryption at home then you are foolish, but tbh you would also have to live next to someone with good knowledge of networking theory. ‘Some guy next door’ isn’t going to cut it. This exploit is simple if you know about TCP/IP and wireless packet sniffing and be malicious. Most hackers are just fooling around, not looking to cause trouble, and even then, they are very rare. Having said all that, _all_ wireless networks you control should be running on WPA unless you have a very good reason, a good enough reason to warrant having your identity stolen.
The fact is, many things are vulnerable if your network is compromised. It’s quite easy to fool a user into giving you his login for most websites/forums etc… once you have local network access. Also, it’s a lot easier to then compromise his/her machine with malware, at which point it’s game over as I mentioned above, bypassing the need for a fancy vulnerability like above.
This vulnerability is only a problem for people who feel the need to log into sensitive accounts on open public networks. Would you feel comfortable doing web banking on an airport’s wireless network? The risk is similar to this vulnerability above in that you shouldn’t use/login to important stuff on open networks, it comes down to common sense. If you don’t have common sense, this vulnerability is a problem for you, if you do exercise common sense then you have nothing to worry about.
As for “However a physical network can also be compromised by any network hops between a victims’s PC and the Cereus servers.” it takes the bisciut. Clearly just trying to scare people with little knowledge of computers. Yes this is true, but unless you can walk into a major ISP which happens to carry all of the victims traffic(very unlikely) and jack into their core routers and then run packet filtering software and feel you can get away with it then you have nothing to worry about. The core of the internet is pretty safe from eavesdropping, partly because there is so much traffic so you need expensive hardware to filter packets and partly because you can’t just jack into core routers, they are behind locked doors. Your home network is the point of failure, you can safely assume the internet itself is secure from eavesdropping.
In a nut shell, this exploit poses the same threat as having your identity stolen online. If your home network is compromised, so many other things are already ****ed you won’t care about your UB account. You probably won’t be able to use your computer anyway because it will be riddled with spamming software.
Props on finding this vulnerability, but the scaremongering is fairly unacceptable. It isn’t a major problem, it really only affects a very small minority of cases where people are being stupid and a pretty knowledgeable hacker just happens to be very close by.
Before anyone asks, I’m not affiliated with Cereus. Even if I were, everything I just said is true, look it up yourself. I just know a little about wireless and wired network security and when I see scaremongering of non-technical users.

What would PTR be doing hacking systems?
PTR maybe the next table rating site to be put on the banned list at PS and FT.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This guy is right..

What would PTR be doing hacking systems?
PTR maybe the next table rating site to be put on the banned list at PS and FT.
It's already there.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of you are sort of showing what you (don't) know when it comes to encryption and security.

1. Poker site updates are not usually updates to encryption.

2. Technically, yes, everything is "hackable" but industry standard encryption (SSL/TLS) is not feasibly crackable currently.

It is always easier for insiders to get access to data than outsiders to crack highly encrypted packets without access to all the keys.

Bottom line STILL is: It is MORE than in the best interest of the poker sites to have bank level security. That is one of the main things they sell. Really one of only two things. Security and player base.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's already there.
My bad. I hope the rest of the sites ban them.
Some of you are sort of showing what you (don't) know when it comes to encryption and security.

1. Poker site updates are not usually updates to encryption.

2. Technically, yes, everything is "hackable" but industry standard encryption (SSL/TLS) is not feasibly crackable currently.

It is always easier for insiders to get access to data than outsiders to crack highly encrypted packets without access to all the keys.

Bottom line STILL is: It is MORE than in the best interest of the poker sites to have bank level security. That is one of the main things they sell. Really one of only two things. Security and player base.
I know. MD5 is hard to crack, i tried before hand when i lost a password to a zipped file, i was using a sever site to crack it but 8 hours later and still no password. Then i remember the password and it was an easy password.
I can see a high level bank security setup, yes poker sites should have that level of security.

bhood1776

bhood1776

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for posting that kidkvno1, that guy said much better than I ever could as to why I'm not bothered at all by the problem. Much more worried about identity theft if my network was hacked than by me UB acct.

T

The Dr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While understanding, and agreeing with, the concerns surrounding the security issues here, is it really a "disgrace to the poker community" to play at these sites? And are we bad people for supporting "cheaters" by playing there? Little over the top imo. Let me ask you this Doc. Have you ever voted for a politician, either locally or nationally, who was caught in some sort of a scam? If so does that make you a "disgrace to the community"? Btw I have an account with Ultimatebet and will wait for this issue to be resolved before playing there again. A warning is appreciated, but to lecture?...freedom of choice my friend:)

My question to you:

If a politician was involved in serious fraud would you vote for that same politician twice?

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

bhood1776

bhood1776

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not a case of fraud just poor security. If you don't want to play there then don't, but don't call those of us that do a disgrace to the poker community. There are dozens of sites since the poker boom that have cheated/stolen money from players for a variety of reasons and some of them are still running. Are all those players a disgrace aswell?

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not a case of fraud just poor security. If you don't want to play there then don't, but don't call those of us that do a disgrace to the poker community. There are dozens of sites since the poker boom that have cheated/stolen money from players for a variety of reasons and some of them are still running. Are all those players a disgrace aswell?

How about you backup your bold statements?

swrittenb

swrittenb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

With so many poker sites out there that are trying to establish a standard for solid security and auditing practices, and the Cereus network doing nothing to validate security leak after security leak, you are doing a disservice to the poker community by playing at UB. They cheated players out of millions, they have exploitable holes in their software - what on earth makes you even want to play there in the first place? Hellmuth? Why would you not go to another site with a better reputation?

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question to you:

If a politician was involved in serious fraud would you vote for that same politician twice?

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

The poker site itself was not involved in the fraud, bad analogy.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hey "The DR".

Actually he has a point.

Anyone still playing on UB is, in this writer's opinion, a complete idiot. Well whoop-dee-doo some dude ran up $10 to $40 there - is $30 really the price he's willing to sell himself out and give a fraudulent and incompetent company business for? Really? People who play on UB are not only giving scammers and incompetent idiots money, they are encouraging other scammers and idiots to get involved in the online poker business because, hey, if UB can survive half a dozen major fraudulent/criminal/incompetent/suspicious 'outings' then why can't they?

But hey, $30 is a fair price for this, right? :rolleyes:

The poker site itself was not involved in the fraud, bad analogy.

Umm, several employees were involved, what are you talking about? I mean of course the poker site itself can't have been involved because a poker site is an inanimate entity, but that's just skirting the point.

Seriously the UB defense force in these topics are getting tiresome. Go ahead and play there if you must but don't clog the forum with self-serving crap and half-hearted (and often inaccurate) defenses trying to justify your decision.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am no UB "defense force". I just see no reason to treat forum members with disrespect so easily. (especially by unknown new posters even if they ARE "mods at 2+2") I think UB is a shambles and don't play there.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for posting that kidkvno1, that guy said much better than I ever could as to why I'm not bothered at all by the problem. Much more worried about identity theft if my network was hacked than by me Ultimatebet acct.
no problem..

Key loggers can grab every key you hit, and i've even found ones that can't be found by virus scanners, tho you install them to keep an-eye on what your kids are doing.
I also know that there is a firewall in the Router, and in the modem.

We did think about going with a wireless set up, but we don't need other people logging in and using it, also for the Faq it's so easy to log onto one. Also well taking to Comcast, they said it would be to hard for anyone to hack into there system. Computer has a hardware fire wall, so does the router, the modem, one down at Comcast. I know all of this when my MSN account was hacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.