Status
Not open for further replies.
PC69

PC69

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I'm glad to see that unsuspecting players are not susceptible to this security flaw, I'll suggest one more time - the problems associated w Cereus go beyond the existence of this specific security flaw, and it's preferable that Cereus be held accountable for the broader issues of which this security flaw is a single example.

The Cereus network was created as a result of the potripper scandal (if you're not familiar w it, you can google "potripper") to ensure consumers that they could play at Ultimatebet and Absolute Poker comfortable that the strictest security measures possible were being taken to prevent the possibility of such scandals again.

Implementing custom security protocols that do not meet industry standards is a pretty bad idea imo, regardless of whether the resulting security flaw is only applicable to wi-fi or to someone who doesn't use firewalls etc. It's bad business/management to create a platform (the Cereus network) to ensure the security of players without using the highest industry standards to ensure the security of the players.

If I keep typing, I'll just repeat things being said above and elsewhere, so I'll stop now. Again, happy that the specific flaw has been resolved, but still believe that Cereus has demonstrated poor management skills/gross indifference that still puts players at risk beyond this security flaw.

No wonder they made SlyDog a mod. This man speaks and knows his stuff.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know my stuff too and I respect slycbnew's posts. UB/AP are routed through the University Of Cambridge, the University Of Melbourne, the University Of California and MIT Boston, so can anyone really say where the 'leak' or lack of security occured? NOTHING on the internet is 100% safe ( if you think otherwise your fooling yourself ) and it's pretty obvious that some posters have an agenda. All I can say is I have never had a problem with UB/AP, I am not affiliated in anyway with either AP or UB but comment on my personal experience, instead of following like a sheep. Sure Cerius appeared to be lax with there security, but they fixed it as soon as they were made aware of it. Another just as serious question has been asked many times without a difinitive answer, could the same 'sniffing' method be used on other poker sites? The reason I am so defensive, is that it is so quick to accuse and be believed.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree there is no 100% unhackable network. The issue imo isn't whether such a thing exists, nor whether other sites are equally as badly managed/incompetent - the issue imo is that Cereus has demonstrated that they are.

Without penalizing the site that has demonstrated poor management, there's no incentive for the other sites to implement/continue good management, and lots of incentive for government regulation.

Govt regulation isn't nec bad imo fwiw - but one kind of govt reg in particular would be bad, and that would be to ban online poker to protect consumers.

C

Corey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I heard about this last week, and I just couldn't believe it. SSL is out there (OpenSSL) and they had used simple kindergarten XOR encryption. Unbelieveable. PTR says SSL is fully implemented now, they seem trustworthy. I better change my password just in case.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree there is no 100% unhackable network. The issue imo isn't whether such a thing exists, nor whether other sites are equally as badly managed/incompetent - the issue imo is that Cereus has demonstrated that they are.

Without penalizing the site that has demonstrated poor management, there's no incentive for the other sites to implement/continue good management, and lots of incentive for government regulation.

Govt regulation isn't nec bad imo fwiw - but one kind of govt reg in particular would be bad, and that would be to ban online poker to protect consumers.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^++++++++++++++1000000000000000000(zeros continue endless) this

K

kardmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds as if everyone can go home happy knowing that their jobs are now done.

T

The Dr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't seen a difference. I play most of the same tournies everyday and it's been the same amount of players. Their GTD tounies have all been clearing the GTD. Can't tell about cash games though, no way to tell on that.

Really? From your posts in this thread you sure are quick to the defense when people make statements against ub. Would you care to tell us how long you have been working for them?

Anyways, disregard his above statement. Site trackers have reported a significant decrease in their traffic at their peak hours. Ranging as high up as 8 thousands less or 25%.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can we stop with the "ZOMG YOUR A SHILL" and related crap (on both sides of the argument) please?

feel free to engage in debate and discussion but all this "OMG YOU WORK FOR UB" and "ZOMG YOU HAVE A SECRET AGENDA AGAINST UB YOU MUST WORK FOR STARS" stuff is ****ing tilting, unnecessary, and makes you look as bad as the average rigtard who pops in here saying the exact same thing.

I am not affiliated in anyway with either Absolute Poker or Ultimatebet but comment on my personal experience, instead of following like a sheep.

yes, clearly anyone who has a problem with UB but hasn't actually had any money stolen from them or their account hacked is a "sheep" and not at all just concerned that having incompetent and rogue operators who are able to act without recourse is bad for online poker.

look it doesn't matter how "hackable" anything else on the internet is, and such diversions don't help your argument at all and are not remotely logically sound. the simple fact is that UB used a ridiculously primitive method of encryption that was apparently audited by a third party, thus either (a) the third party that audited them is incompetent or (b) no audit actually happened and UB are lying (wouldn't be the first time!)

Another just as serious question has been asked many times without a difinitive answer, could the same 'sniffing' method be used on other poker sites?

no, because they don't use such primitive encryption methods.

Last edited:
BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One great point for Cereus: they may be the only major network/room not applying for a license under the horrible new French gambling law.

:banghead:

:icon_puke

roulette.gif

Last edited:
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One great point for Cereus: they may be the only major network/room not applying for a license under the horrible new French gambling law.

:banghead:

:icon_puke

roulette.gif

Sorry for the hijack here, but I have heard about this law, and know nothing in detail. I play with French often on PKR. So they can still play online?
Re-direct me to a relevant thread, if there is one. thanx.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry for the hijack here, but I have heard about this law, and know nothing in detail. I play with French often on PKR. So they can still play online?
Re-direct me to a relevant thread, if there is one. thanx.

Do you speak French? If so, there are quite a few relevant threads here:

http://www.clubpoker.net/forum-poker/forum/13-actualite-du-poker/

Basically, on poker rooms operating under the new French licenses, there will be an extra 2% of rake (capped at €1) for taxes, and players will only be able to play against other French players, which will decimate the tournament fields and the cash games from small stakes up. With the two effects combined, poker should not be beatable anymore in france, at least for any relevant amount.

The worst part is that one condition for rooms to get the French license is that they voluntarily ban all French players from the international version of their poker room. So as soon as pokerstars.fr opens, we can't plan on pokerstars.com anymore. And pokerstars will certainly apply and get the license since the head of their French operation is the son of one of president Sarkozy's best friends (the mayor of the neighboring town to the town Sarkozy was mayor of before becoming president).

On the other hand, it's not illegal for players to play on rooms licensed elsewhere. So obviously we're rooting for the rooms not to apply for a stupid French license.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Basically, on poker rooms operating under the new French licenses, there will be an extra 2% of rake (capped at €1) for taxes, and players will only be able to play against other French players, which will decimate the tournament fields and the cash games from small stakes up. With the two effects combined, poker should not be beatable anymore in France, at least for any relevant amount.

The worst part is that one condition for rooms to get the French license is that they voluntarily ban all French players from the international version of their poker room. So as soon as pokerstars.fr opens, we can't plan on pokerstars.com anymore. And pokerstars will certainly apply and get the license since the head of their French operation is the son of one of president Sarkozy's best friends (the mayor of the neighboring town to the town Sarkozy was mayor of before becoming president).

On the other hand, it's not illegal for players to play on rooms licensed elsewhere. So obviously we're rooting for the rooms not to apply for a stupid French license.

If it's not illegal to play on unlicensed room, what is the motivation for a site to get a French license???

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ +1

Basically, on poker rooms operating under the new French licenses, there will be an extra 2% of rake (capped at €1) for taxes, and players will only be able to play against other French players, which will decimate the tournament fields and the cash games from small stakes up. With the two effects combined, poker should not be beatable anymore in France, at least for any relevant amount.

I knew about them being gay on betting sites, whoever is in charge is trying to get all they can into their pocket.

Some executives for a major betting site that will get the license there got arrested at the airport when they were going for negotiations, as a negotiating muscling tool to get more bribes. Probably the same will happen to poker?

True democracy at work! Oh well, from your name you could always move back to Belgium or switzerland Belgo...:D

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's not illegal to play on unlicensed room, what is the motivation for a site to get a French license???

With a license, you can advertise as much as you want and fishes can deposit as much as they can afford (or more) with their credit card.

Without a license, you can't come to France anymore or else they put you in jail. France is a pretty nice place for holidays.

C

ComplexPlaya

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a license, you can advertise as much as you want and fishes can deposit as much as they can afford (or more) with their credit card.

Without a license, you can't come to France anymore or else they put you in jail. France is a pretty nice place for holidays.

Well...if sites do get a license then they would expect that 'lot of fishes' to deposit alot, so assuming that happens won't that negate your earlier concern about being impossible to make a profit from france anymore?

Also, what happens if one simply disregards the gay law and connects to some poker site to play with the rest of the world? All they would need was a non-french IP and some fake details about themselves.

The details of a friend in Holland, it's not hard to do such a thing and circumvent it obviously. And I'm sure the pro players from france are smart enough to figure out how, if the alternative was to stop being winners

K

kardmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can we stop with the "ZOMG YOUR A SHILL" and related crap (on both sides of the argument) please?

feel free to engage in debate and discussion but all this "OMG YOU WORK FOR Ultimatebet" and "ZOMG YOU HAVE A SECRET AGENDA AGAINST Ultimatebet YOU MUST WORK FOR STARS" stuff is ****ing tilting, unnecessary, and makes you look as bad as the average rigtard who pops in here saying the exact same thing.

yes, clearly anyone who has a problem with Ultimatebet but hasn't actually had any money stolen from them or their account hacked is a "sheep" and not at all just concerned that having incompetent and rogue operators who are able to act without recourse is bad for online poker.

look it doesn't matter how "hackable" anything else on the internet is, and such diversions don't help your argument at all and are not remotely logically sound. the simple fact is that Ultimatebet used a ridiculously primitive method of encryption that was apparently audited by a third party, thus either (a) the third party that audited them is incompetent or (b) no audit actually happened and Ultimatebet are lying (wouldn't be the first time!)

no, because they don't use such primitive encryption methods.

I have to make this comment after spending some time with Absolute Poker customer and technical support.

The remarks made by these forum members accused of being shills or employees has to be erroneous.

These forum remarks are way too logical to be mistaken for employees of the firm. These remarks deal with the issues again a huge giveaway.

I will say this Absolute customer service provides the best marketing push for PokerStars. It is obvious to me that they are not paying attention to these departments.

teabagger357

teabagger357

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UB

Yep I rarely Play there I think their software stinks. I just play freerolls there. I have about 30 dollars there. just wasting away.

Status
Not open for further replies.