WSOP 2021 Main Event Update (and other WSOP events)

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its intriguing for sure, Koray has picked some good spots but i agree George has impressed me the most over the past couple of days, im still hoping my man Alejandro can capitalise on the undoubted moves, chase, jared and hye will have to make...

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Somewhat frustratingly could not follow todays action so decided to ignore everything until I could catch up.

Went to the wsop site and shockingly three left (had no idea what to expect).

Koray Aldemir dominating, Jack Oliver second followed by George Holmes.

Could not be happier

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Of the remaining 10 players, the one I wanted to see win 'the least' was the Rapper. So.. when the rapper went into the crapper... kinda felt it coming. Very unorthodox play served him well (who flats a 3bet OOP w J3o?, etc. etc.).

Most likeable award goes to Remitio imo. And for a guy with very little live tournament experience (total cashes were < $2k) I felt he played very well (and what a great attitude!).

I felt Holmes played a tad oddly in spots but came out okay obviously. I'm glad he's made it to the final 3.

Aside from running like Ben Johnson, I think Koray has shown himself to be the best player for the past couple days. Deserves the win for sure! ('if' he wins that is)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I really thought I was going to wake up to find a winner the way Koray is playing. Just watched a video where Jack Oliver tripled up...these kinds of hands can be fun to watch much to the dismay of the rest in the hand.

Day 8 is in the books.

476e437ec75e4ba8dda5fd308a98c670.png

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Aldemir has had a sick run in this ME. And people falling into his traps left and right.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The Main Event is heads-up with Koray Aldemir vs. George Holmes. Should be a good one!

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aldemir is certainly a favorite, but this is poker and as always the river can change everything)!

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think anyone has ever run as godlike as this Aldemir dude. It's bordering on the ridiculous.

There's been a lot of talk on other message boards about his sketchy "almost angle shooting" tactics over the years... yes he a VERY good professional poker player, I'm not trying to take anything away from him in that regard, he is top notch... but I just don't really like people who try to use "every tactic in the book" against their opponents, especially when they get dangerously close to angle shooting (which is a form of deception bordering on unethical play).

So for me, I'm rooting for Holmes to win it... but I'm not watching it because I refuse to pay the PokerGO price. I used to watch the WSOP streams when they were free, but once PokerGO took it over and began charging people to watch it, I refused. I am NOT paying for Cary Katz's high stakes buyins (Cary Katz is the owner of PokerGO).

Hope you all enjoy the Final Table, and GO GEORGE GO!!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't think anyone has ever run as godlike as this Aldemir dude. It's bordering on the ridiculous.

There's been a lot of talk on other message boards about his sketchy "almost angle shooting" tactics over the years... yes he a VERY good professional poker player, I'm not trying to take anything away from him in that regard, he is top notch... but I just don't really like people who try to use "every tactic in the book" against their opponents, especially when they get dangerously close to angle shooting (which is a form of deception bordering on unethical play).

So for me, I'm rooting for Holmes to win it... but I'm not watching it because I refuse to pay the PokerGO price. I used to watch the WSOP streams when they were free, but once PokerGO took it over and began charging people to watch it, I refused. I am NOT paying for Cary Katz's high stakes buyins (Cary Katz is the owner of PokerGO).

Hope you all enjoy the Final Table, and GO GEORGE GO!!

Are you sure you have the right guy? Because everything I heard from PROs talking about him said that he's an extremely nice, humble guy. Give us a link! Actually this is the very first time I have EVER heard ANYTHING negative about the guy at all.

In the HeadsUp play, Aldemir ran anything but good. It was as great match!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So first, could not follow anything today either. Was tense all day and avoided any news, but then it got spoilered. Actually relieves at that point as I had realized I wanted Koray Aldemir to win.

Actually quite happy with the result...I might have preferred Oliver to come second but the George Holmes run was good for the game.

Congrats to Koray, well earned!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Are you sure you have the right guy? Because everything I heard from PROs talking about him said that he's an extremely nice, humble guy. Give us a link! Actually this is the very first time I have EVER heard ANYTHING negative about the guy at all.

Can I second everything that you said here?

I have also never heard anything negative about Aldemir - though now I am catching up I have noticed on that 'other' forum there is some negativity which seems to emanate from a US perspective (style of play)....which is juvenile.

I have watched the German players over several years and Aldemir simply played Aldemir's game.

He's considered and thoughtful and always has been. He's a nice guy and credited all the other players for their play also. The German elite players are committed to poker, period, and even though many feature at the high roller level they all appreciate what it takes to win the WSOP ME and Aldemir's win will be a source of immense pride for them.

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a shame that i cannot look WSOP like years before, but i was always looking for chip counts at WSOP.com, i dont know nothing how they play but they say Aldemir is one of the best champions of the century. Is that true?

M

malucado4545

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would like to know where to follow up with the image

Last edited by a moderator:
Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Koray Aldemir played an outstanding series and deserved the win! From all the interviews and articles that I have read (recently) this kid is so incredibly smart and humble from what I can tell. A good sport in my opinion.

Congratulations to Koray on the win!! and to George Holmes for showing the rest of the poker world that recreational players can play and go deep, too! And an outstanding finish to Jack Oliver!! (another smart good kid from what I could tell :))

The 2021 WSOP Main Event Wrap Up – Results And Photos

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Go George Holmes!

Koray Aldemir played an outstanding series and deserved the win! From all the interviews and articles that I have read (recently) this kid is so incredibly smart and humble from what I can tell. A good sport in my opinion.

Congratulations to Koray on the win!! and to George Holmes for showing the rest of the poker world that recreational players can play and go deep, too! And an outstanding finish to Jack Oliver!! (another smart good kid from what I could tell :))

Massive credit to George for leading the way for non pros - he played an incredible series and this cash will change his life for sure and hopefully lead to bigger things.
Koray was just too good and this was his day but for me - It was Georges tournament story that led the way!
Thank you to all members for posting updates.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I would like to apologize for my negative post here, I made a terrible mistake by mixing up two players. You are correct, I did NOT have the right guy and I feel awful about doing that to the World Champion. The reason I didn't post any link to my source is because they came from another poker forum site and I think it is rude to reference those sites on CardChat's own forum. But I wish I had, because my mistake would have been immediately noticed and called out. Thank you for doing so.

I think any Tournament Director would at least give me a one-orbit penalty for my error, and perhaps I should now have the bad reputation for angle-shooting. sigh Certainly not my intent, but what an awful thing to point a finger and then realize I was totally wrong to do so. I will try to be more humble in the future, let this be a lesson to me!

Congratulations to Koray Aldemir, who is now the 3rd WSOP Main Event Champion from germany in the past decade... quite a feat for that country, there are so many top-notch professionals who play from there.

Last edited:
V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Congratulation to Aldemir on his fantastic performance..It is a pity that Alejandro Lococo couldn´t do more in this final table.He was really unlucky with his pocket tens crashed against the pocket nines by Aldemir when he was second in chips.The flop was J9J.....

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would like to apologize for my negative post here, I made a terrible mistake by mixing up two players. You are correct, I did NOT have the right guy and I feel awful about doing that to the World Champion. The reason I didn't post any link to my source is because they came from another poker forum site and I think it is rude to reference those sites on CardChat's own forum. But I wish I had, because my mistake would have been immediately noticed and called out. Thank you for doing so.

I think any Tournament Director would at least give me a one-orbit penalty for my error, and perhaps I should now have the bad reputation for angle-shooting. sigh Certainly not my intent, but what an awful thing to point a finger and then realize I was totally wrong to do so. I will try to be more humble in the future, let this be a lesson to me!

Congratulations to Koray Aldemir, who is now the 3rd WSOP Main Event Champion from Germany in the past decade... quite a feat for that country, there are so many top-notch professionals who play from there.

Don't fret too much Alizona, mistakes happen and we all make them. Inevitably there would be some push back no matter who won...but a sincere apology always reads well!

That said I think it was clumsy of the WSOP to have another tourney closing on finishing nearby to the main event. The noise intrusion was irritating.

Some have said that the ME should be the ultimate tournament, period. I don't necessarily agree but the two tournaments in the final stages should have been separated from one another. Even if a little, it did feel that the cheering and railing from the other event did diminish the significance of the ME at times. It was thoughtless scheduling and presumably it won't happen again in the future.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Yes indeed.

I thought it was a great tournament, final table and then final three. A young, up and coming professional who bursts onto the global scene, Jack Oliver. A seasoned recreational player who impressed one and all with a 'came to play' attitude, George Holmes. And a young (and somehow seasoned) German pro who kept his wits about him all the way through.

Many still cling to the idea another Chris Moneymaker style run could ignite poker again. But the truth is the game and the players have changed as well as the world and media outside of poker itself.

However I think this was as good a mix as anyone could expect. There have been a swirl of discussions following the ME and some issues have been provocative and interesting to read. The irony is I believe poker is having more than just a 'moment'. Covid 19 obviously got participation is online poker rising if even in the short term, but I think sports betting in generally has dragged poker along to a degree by raising the betting profile overall.

It has been interesting to see GG poker spread its wings out of Asia and across the globe over a couple of short years and it shows that if poker is promoted correctly it can be an increasing draw.

The fact that the WSOP was delayed created heightened interest and will now be followed by EPT Prague with the European Tour reestablishing. That will be a tremendous boost to poker which I hope will be capitalized on.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe it was Chance Kornuth you were referring to?

Yes, you obviously read that same poker forum I was referring too. :) How in the heck I confused "Chance Kornuth" with "Koray Aldemir", I have no idea myself... and I still feel horrible that I did it.

Thanks to everyone for your understanding, I greatly appreciate people questioning my post which is how I finally realized what I had done. Thanks for speaking out and defending Koray!!!!

WSOP