WSOP 2021 Main Event Update (and other WSOP events)

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
At the time of the article release, there were 2359 players of the 6,650 entered and there were seven previous wsop Main Event winners still in the game!

a2c496a7a6fd2a94e8685d4b3cf31c31.png

However, after the conclusion of Day 3, with 1000 players left, there are far fewer former champs remaining.

12. Chris Moneymaker - 1,432,000

190. Qui Nguyen - 659,000

744. Martin Jacobson - 142,000

Check out the article linked below for other stats >>> Chris Moneymaker One of Seven WSOP Main Event Champs Still Alive on Day 3

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Money is a class player - really patient and picks excellent spots to exert pressure - he was made for the grind of a long tourney

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looking like a good lineup but a shame it's on PokerGo and no longer on ESPN where more people would see it. A big reason Monemaker effect happened was because so many non-poker players saw it on ESPN. Only people interested in poker pay for PokerGo and I think that hurts poker overall putting it behind paywalls.

IXIX

IXIX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Moneymaker is winning it he’s running so pure … he can’t loss a flip , can’t lose a hand , it’s amazing to watch on Pokergo.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Looking like a good lineup but a shame it's on PokerGo and no longer on ESPN where more people would see it. A big reason Monemaker effect happened was because so many non-poker players saw it on ESPN. Only people interested in poker pay for PokerGo and I think that hurts poker overall putting it behind paywalls.

The exact point I made once the deal was struck between the WSOP and PokerGo (and have been making since). Not only that, the WSOP allowing all their original WSOP content to also get placed behind the paywall - content made before PokerGo even existed - was epically short sighted.

Many interesting players are still left in (currently standing at 465) including Moneymaker....I think they could have gotten astronomical views if yet free to air...oh well.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The exact point I made once the deal was struck between the WSOP and PokerGo (and have been making since). Not only that, the WSOP allowing all their original WSOP content to also get placed behind the paywall - content made before PokerGo even existed - was epically short sighted.

I agree its short sited for them to stop playing on ESPN totally but was this decision ESPN's? We all love poker and more people who see it the better but this may not be Poker Go's fault. We have not been able to get ESPN the last few years but the last few we had were limited viewing, Its great it was live and watching some poker final table action was great when getting ready for work but who was staying up all night long?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree its short sited for them to stop playing on ESPN totally but was this decision ESPN's? We all love poker and more people who see it the better but this may not be Poker Go's fault. We have not been able to get ESPN the last few years but the last few we had were limited viewing, Its great it was live and watching some poker final table action was great when getting ready for work but who was staying up all night long?

I think it was ESPN's decision to pull out (replaced with CBS Sports I believe which is subscription also as far as I am aware)

Regarding PokerGo, Cary Katz is the owner and he and his family have a history of being involved in exploitive businesses. The family (father) made a fortune off the back of student loans and then Cary Katz started his own student loan company to expand the fortune.

The move with PokerGo was strategic. Capture as much content WSOP, Poker After Dark etc. etc. and stick it all behind a paywall. Now, in one sense I don't blame Katz as he was looking out for himself (and that was patently obvious). I blame all those such as the WSOP for looking at short term gains instead of the long term growth of the game.

Its been really interesting to see the viewership for Hustlers streams which were introduced to create free to air content -the recent high stakes streams featuring Ivey and Dwan got a million views. Likewise, the EPT Prague tour stop will begin in December (the first EPT event following Covid) and I guarantee the numbers viewing this live and edited for You Tube will garner millions of views.

But....that was always the case for the WSOP...the entire event was watched by multi millions not just on ESPN but You Tube where everything was streamed live.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well, just checked and the field is down to around 260 at this point (all bagging $38,600 I believe)

Chris Money maker had dropped right down the field but...Stephen Chidwick is currently 3rd in chips...Toby Lewis 18th...Chance Kornuth 44th...Matt Berkey 106th...Nick Petrangelo 165th...Jason Koon 206th

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Moneymaker is winning it he’s running so pure … he can’t loss a flip , can’t lose a hand , it’s amazing to watch on Pokergo.

It is great watching on PokerGo, though unfortunately, your post didn't age extremely well, as he ran AK into Keith Lehr's Aces to double up Lehr, so I think the run pure has passed, though he still has plenty of chips and time to chip up. I hope he wins the Main Event, it would be so crazy to do it a second time, and so far apart timewise, where the game has changed dramatically.

Good luck to him.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I could take 5 picks for the winner I'd go with:

'Stevie444'

Tristan 'Cre8ive' Wade

'jareth3542'

'810ofclubs'

'caecilius'

I used to rail all of these guys (except Jareth) back on Fulltilt & Stars - the $1k Monday on FTP & the Sun500 on Stars. << Those ones had all the top guys in them.

And hoping that Melissa Bryne gets on the final table & takes it down!
She's melissa2141, played on Fulltilt & Stars prior to Black Friday and just last weekend as playing on ACR in the $16.50 buyin MTT's! Go Melissa Go!!!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Some crazy swings today…

Moneymaker, Jason Koon, Matt Berkey gone…

Chance Kornuth up to 13 and Koray Aldemir 15… Nick Pertrangelo 34, Stephen Chidwick down to 51, Toby Lewis 66

Several hours of play left...got to be grueling at this point.

IXIX

IXIX

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to see more of Conrad Simpson on the featured table come on Pokergo or Joseph Tam he was fun to watch taking berkey’s chips yesterday

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
WTF?

watching some of the hands this guy played (Rigby) was a tad odd (was at ~10mill at one point & then just spewing them off).

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 5484.jpg
    ScreenHunter 5484.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 59
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Wow, what a day.

German baller Koray Aldemir on top, Ramon Calillas second, Chance Kornuth 21, Stephen Chidwick 47 with 96 left....

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Andddddd 'Rigby' (not to be confused with 'rigged')

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 5488.jpg
    ScreenHunter 5488.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 66
D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes, the WSOP leaderboard is the closest to a real time update. I have had this page constantly opened for the last few days. Way faster than any other poker news site.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yes, the WSOP leaderboard is the closest to a real time update. I have had this page constantly opened for the last few days. Way faster than any other poker news site.

I do the same - keep the WSOP.com updates and leaderboard up (the leaderboard was generally delayed before the field is whittled down). The updates at WSOP.com are far better than the PokerNews site for sure.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive been watching this event on Pokergo - really enjoying the coverage this year and its good to see a new name going on the title soon!
I was hoping Money would run a bit deeper as he would have been scary in the last 32 or so but hey ho

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Ive been watching this event on Pokergo - really enjoying the coverage this year and its good to see a new name going on the title soon!
I was hoping Money would run a bit deeper as he would have been scary in the last 32 or so but hey ho

Yeah, very exciting! To be frank I thought the series started off a little flat...Covid hangover and everything I suppose...but the main event just seem to have switched everything into another gear.

I can't be the only one that loves the WSOP theme song, can I?

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the updates.

It is unfortunate that the common man is not able to follow the action, like we have in the past. I am not willing to "pay" to watch. My choice. $10/month can be viewed as a miniscule "investment", but at this point it is the principle of the thing. With all the possible subscriptions to everything under the sun, it would cost me $10,000 a month just to keep up. Not going there.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Day 6 is LIVE on YouTube if anyone is interested. (for a limited time - I think about an hour is left of this free viewing)

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks for the updates.

It is unfortunate that the common man is not able to follow the action, like we have in the past. I am not willing to "pay" to watch. My choice. $10/month can be viewed as a miniscule "investment", but at this point it is the principle of the thing. With all the possible subscriptions to everything under the sun, it would cost me $10,000 a month just to keep up. Not going there.

The one thing that does need to be underlined (as Shells has done) is that PokerGo has released an hour of live coverage for the last several days of the main. No, it is not like the old days (which had me enthralled and glued to the coverage before I had ever played a hand myself) but better than nothing. It gives a real feel of the tourney and lets face it, most of us could not schedule hours of live viewing on a daily basis.

For those looking for a poker treat, the European Poker Tour stop in Prague (always a big pre-Christmas deal) will run December 8th to the 19th and I will presume there will be daily live streams of the event on You Tube as well as edited hour long recaps also posted to You Tube.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well, just managed to catch up and the filed has shrunk to 36.

The leaderboard headed by some unfamiliar faces, Hye Park with 29 million but Koray Amdemir is 5th with 19 million, Ramon Calillas 7th with 18 million and Chance Kornuth 11th with 13.6 million.

Interesting to see some call Kornuth out for borderline angle shooting.

When I read that headline, I thought yeah, I know what they are talking about. But the headlines were about him moving his chips as though to bet but then making a lateral move with them to gauge any reaction. What I had seen him do a few times was fake as though he was throwing his cards in the muck. He did not move them but they looked like they were in his grasp and he would then flick his hand towards the center of the table very deliberately.

Not quite angle shooting as such but I can understand why some called for him to get a penalty...especially as he had then used two different but fairly blatant gestures to elicit a reaction.

WSOP