'Black Friday' and associated fallout megathread

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it isn't illegal in the UK, it's just the fact if they are being prosecuted for fraud etc then surely they will freeze the whole thing and eventually europeons wont be able to play anyway?

The FBI can't touch us, seriously **** the FBI. What are they going to do, extradite me? I assume only a proportion of the money held by FT/PS is held in US banks or banks that can be raided by the US law enforcement. Even so who are they to take MY money. Nobody, that's who. I break no laws, not even tax ones and if they confiscate my money then that's an international incident.

**** the FBI and **** the US government.

TOTP, NSFW:

hot-amateur-teen-emo-girl.jpg

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Damn, and I was just saying I could pay for something with the money I've got on Absolute. Maybe not... sure hope we can cash out eventually. I have less than $2K across all sites, but that's not small money to me.

Being in WA state I've been locked out of Stars and FTP for awhile now. Sorry you guys are now facing the same.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im from uk is my cash on pokerstars safe or is it best to withdraw?

It`s tough to be sure until the dust settles, but you should be fine. You are a UK citizen and have broken no UK laws. The US government have no jurisdiction over you and, if they were to cause you a financial loss by their unjustified interference in your affairs, you would have a case to sue them for compensation.

katymaty

katymaty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's nothing to do with the websites now, players are being blocked and people have been arrested on serious money laundering and fraud crimes.

**** the FBI, I'm a British citizen. I know you're probably reading this thread so **** you **** you and DIAGF, you can't touch me.

Yes they can! If serious enough crime they can file for extradition via British government. They have done it loads of times before, although on this occasion I think you will be ok:p

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1:00 p.m. PDT: If there is any bright side to this black Friday, it could be that this DOJ affront makes it clear to Congressional leaders like Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid that federal legislation to officially legalize online poker must move quickly.

“At Safe and Secure Initiative, we've always fought to give every American the right to gamble online,” said Michael Waxman, executive director of the industry trade association Safe and Secure Internet Gambling Initiative. “Since the government is seeking to crack down on the freedom of the internet, we need Congress to act more than ever now to legalize and regulate the activity. This is a major development that will bring more attention to this issue. I hope it encourages Congress to move more quickly, especially as concerned Americans look for answers and a solution.”

It could also spark online poker players, with their livelihood attacked, to band together more than ever before and make their voices heard.

“Clearly there are millions of Americans who enjoy gambling online,” Waxman said. “If the opportunity to engage in the activity is taken away, they should focus their attention on encouraging their elected representatives to act on this issue and regulate online gambling.”

1:25 p.m. PDT: “On behalf of the millions of poker players across the country, we are shocked at the action taken by the U.S. Department of Justice today against online poker companies and will continue to fight for Americans’ right to participate in the game they enjoy," said former Senator Alfonse D'Amato, chairman of the Poker Players Alliance. "Online poker is not a crime and should not be treated as such. We are currently gathering all of the information around today’s announcement and will offer detailed analysis when the full facts become available.”

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It`s tough to be sure until the dust settles, but you should be fine. You are a UK citizen and have broken no UK laws. The US government have no jurisdiction over you and, if they were to cause you a financial loss by their unjustified interference in your affairs, you would have a case to sue them for compensation.

This^^. Uk players should not be concerned in the slightest imo. Im not.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know it isn't illegal in the UK, it's just the fact if they are being prosecuted for fraud etc then surely they will freeze the whole thing and eventually europeons wont be able to play anyway?

They aren't registered in US so all the US can do is confiscate, fine, and they stop from operating in the US - that might cause them to be unable to fund European operations but they can't just shut down the European branch when it's got nothing to do with them.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting. I went to the Payout tab of the Absolute Poker cashier. The heading says "Payout Methods (click to select)," but there's nothing below it to select.

So. Very. Screwed.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it possible to make withdrawal request at this time from Fulltilt ??? I am getting a message saying " cannot establish secure connection, please contact fulltiltsupport"...Pls comment...

noW

noW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait I may sound like a donk asking this idk,

FPT and PS are sued?

I see UltimateBet site is off but PS and FTP not.
I guess its only for US ones.

One question: Why UB is off completely (I'm not in US) and FTP,PS are on?

And another one
: Why would anyone SEIZE the best 2 rooms on Internet?

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What ever happens, poker for us Euros will go on for now, rake is to collected and whatever profits then can get are still to be made. I think we will not know whats going to happen for at least a few days but I really feel bad for the players here from the US who have been grinding towards a goal or to make their way through college or just life.

katymaty

katymaty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This^^. Uk players should not be concerned in the slightest imo. Im not.

Probably depends how much funds you have. IF you only have $10-$20 not a big problem but if you have a few thousand different story.

What about the pros all around the world, they have 10s of $1000s on the sites:eek:

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The FBI can't touch us, seriously **** the FBI. What are they going to do, extradite me? I assume only a proportion of the money held by FT/PS is held in US banks or banks that can be raided by the US law enforcement. Even so who are they to take MY money. Nobody, that's who. I break no laws, not even tax ones and if they confiscate my money then that's an international incident.

**** the FBI and **** the US government.

TOTP, NSFW:

hot-amateur-teen-emo-girl.jpg

What you going on about ? lol. Are you drunk?

Anyyyyway, seen as I've read your comment I'm going to comment on it.

I know the FBI can't touch you lol, for playing on pokerstars but they can and have touched PS. The point is, committing criminal acts as an organization has an impact on the customers, even being British. Even if money is safe at the moment. If they are found guilty and lose the licence and company then obviously all monies is forfeited. I doubt it would be refunded to the players. I think we would have to go through some other source to get the money back, ie: prosecuting PS.

I remember once, a couple of years back a company got closed down here because of fraudulent activity and money laundering. All possessions including monies was confiscated whilst being investigated. Customers had to get their money back through a long drawn out process and this wasn't even until the case went to trial so could be months/years.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What ever happens, poker for us Euros will go on for now, rake is to collected and whatever profits then can get are still to be made. I think we will not know whats going to happen for at least a few days but I really feel bad for the players here who have been grinding towards a goal or to make their way through college or just life.
Are u able to make awithdrawal request from FT at this tjime???

volc90

volc90

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
anyone know of sites that will be safe for us to keep playing on for now, and in the long run?

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Extensive cliffnotes so far

the .com names of all three sites has been seized and CNN just reported that all three companies have been charged with illegal gambling and Fraud

not sure what to make of this, as of 2:10 on 4/15 the sites are still up/running and playable.

will keep posting updates as i find them

The court order issued

The potential implication for defendants, along with an article on today's events

In addition to the criminal charges, the US Attorney filed a civil suit seeking $3 billion in damages. The FBI froze 75 bank accounts and seized five websites, in addition to the arrests that were made today.

The bank and wire fraud charges carry a sentence of up to 30 years in prison.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/online-poker-websites-fraud-2011-4#ixzz1JcP0FrjE

The charges themselves

Charges are:

1 - Conspiracy to Violate Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGIEA)
2 - Violation of Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGIEA)
3 - Operation of Illegal Gambling Business
4 - Conspiracy to Commit Wire Fraud and Bank Fraud
5 - Money Laundering Conspiracy

The defendants

defe.jpg

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2011/04/online-poker-big-three-indicted-10218.htm

In the indictment, Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said, "As charged, these defendants concocted an elaborate criminal fraud scheme, alternately tricking some U.S. banks and effectively bribing others to assure the continued flow of billions in illegal gambling profits. Moreover, as we allege, in their zeal to circumvent the gambling laws, the defendants also engaged in massive money laundering and bank fraud. Foreign firms that choose to operate in the United States are not free to flout the laws they don’t like simply because they can’t bear to be parted from their profits."

FBI Assistant Director-in-Charge Janice K. Fedarcyk said, "These defendants, knowing full well that their business with U.S. customers and U.S. banks was illegal, tried to stack the deck. They lied to banks about the true nature of their business. Then, some of the defendants found banks willing to flout the law for a fee. The defendants bet the house that they could continue their scheme, and they lost."

At least $3 billion in civil money laundering penalties from both the poker companies and defendants is being sought after. According to the indictment, Campos and Elie were arrested Friday morning in Utah and Las Vegas, Nevada, respectively. Franzen is expected to appear in court for his arraignment on April 19, 2011. Those who are not in the United States, Scheinberg, Bitar, Burtnick, Tate, Tom, Beckley, Rubin, and Lang, have not been arrested, but the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Southern District of New York is working with foreign law enforcement agencies and Interpol to arrest the defendants.

You can no longer play at stars

Article on the man who is now the most hated person in the poker community

[On Brits with money online]It`s tough to be sure until the dust settles, but you should be fine. You are a UK citizen and have broken no UK laws. The US government have no jurisdiction over you and, if they were to cause you a financial loss by their unjustified interference in your affairs, you would have a case to sue them for compensation.

Potential positives?

1:00 p.m. PDT: If there is any bright side to this black Friday, it could be that this DOJ affront makes it clear to Congressional leaders like Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid that federal legislation to officially legalize online poker must move quickly.

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably depends how much funds you have. IF you only have $10-$20 not a big problem but if you have a few thousand different story.

What about the pros all around the world, they have 10s of $1000s on the sites:eek:

They cannot take money off us UK players. Online poker here is totally legal.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, lets summarize what's going on. For stars:

-Cash outs via check work so far, however your guess is as good as mine if you'll actually end up getting a check. I'm sitting tight.
-Person to Person transfers are disabled.
-The points store works (I just bought two iPods). We'll see if I actually get them.
-You cannot play at the tables if you're from the US

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are u able to make awithdrawal request from FT at this tjime???

It got me to the withdraw screen but I only have 12$ on there atm and 50 is the least amount I can withdraw so I cannot tell you.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
U.S. currency > "In God We Trust" ...... better start praying imo.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think ill be fine as canadian but im glad i got all my 200k off UB anyway :p

i got like $700 online right now lol all else in sitting my cdn bank account.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have a spare room in the Uk for all grinders. Winners only as rent will be 10% of your winnings.

I hate you for beating me to this joke.

Seriously though, wtf America?

e: lol 2+2 is loading incredibly slowly atm

Black Chip Poker - Black Chip Bonus Code - Live Dealer Blackjack