Why is it so hard for us to make the right fold sometimes?

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Change your playing method and try not to reveal your cards, avoid bluffing unless you know or decipher how your opponent or players play at the table.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Online micro-low stakes? Pretty simple most players need to see and hate the thought of the other player bluffing or pulling one over on them.

Idk if you can learn not to call or not. Depends on how play, your style and willpower in the end. After 20 years of building my game/style I play style that helps make decisions easier or for me as the hand progresses and one that keeps me outta tough spots in general. Don't get me wrong not bragging I'm no great player and still make bad calls/plays now and again. But generally with 20 years experience I know where I stand in majority of hands and if I'm way behind and need to fold.

Couple pieces of advice I'll give you don't be calling huge bets or all-in's on the river at micro-low stakes unless you have the nuts. These guy's huge river bets and all-ins aren't bluffs majority of the time. You're simply calling off your stack/money to lose it.
Also RARELY make bluffs. Majority of these guys are calling stations so bluffing is just pissing money away. I mean would you keep smashing you face into a concrete wall if you kept knocking yourself out doing that? Of course not. You'd stop smashing you face into that concrete wall. Same thing here.

Cheers!!!

DanielNeg

DanielNeg

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NP
Chips
Look at the betting they are doing on three streaks according to that analysis opponent card range by the time you get to the river his range should be narrowed and make the call if you think you can beat his range or else fold.
It’s very complicated one cannot teach you this in just one day.
You need to grind yourself and learn from your own mistakes that would be better in long run.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the problem is we fall in love with our hand. so its hard to give up pairs or even a low straight, follow the betting action and you will learn when to fold a decent hand. Also look at potential hands that could beat you.

LuTsu

LuTsu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have odds and risk/premium, so fold frequency it is what we have to understand in order to know why and how to bluff catch in a easier way.

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Greed, because we want all the chips in the blink of an eye

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi. I liked several comments and I want to add from myself: do not fall in love with the hand and you will avoid many problems, keep an eye on every trading turn on all streets, and if there is a squeeze (a bet raise), it means you are behind and the opponent has a strong hand - fold without regrets. Watch streams and training materials - it will help. Good luck at the tables.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
that's the thing that upsets me because I haven't learned it properly yet and can I learn it at all
You are right. Sometimes it's really very difficult, but if the situation really doesn't give me confidence in my chances of winning, I'm more likely to make this difficult decision. I have already noticed more than once that such difficult decisions can sometimes simply radically change the game.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
making the right pass is always one of the keys to the success of a poker player because many players simply cannot do it because they simply do not trust another player and think that he is deceiving them or they just want to show that they do not give up and lose a huge pot sometimes I just think that they are older because of their inexperience I also lose

ELPRIIINCIPE

ELPRIIINCIPE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
He believed that this is a very common mistake among amateur players and perhaps some regular players. But I think this happens when you change the proposition of your game, that is, for example, you do an Open-Rise with Kd2d initially with the idea of connecting a color but you are a little surprised by flower 3hKhTd although you don't get a color project you have a top pair and many times players launch the attack with this top pair without taking into consideration the Kicker or the possible hand of the opponent

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There one thing I learned after playing poker for a time. Doesn't matter who the opponents think you are. If they think you are a fish tight or a coward, just use it to earn some chips. Fold when you think it's the racional play. What really matters is what you realize about your opponents. There are real people playing against you, but taking it in the personal level is a huge mistake.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding a good hand is one of the toughest things to do in poker.

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It seems that the game likes strange players, there are people who pay tribet with napkins, I have the feeling that the game rewards them. Yes, I happen to fall in love with my hands hard, but who doesn't?

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all make mistakes.. Focus on reducing mistakes. You cannot be correct all the time.

Try to have sound fundamentals and good execution and learn from hand history review. Sometimes we extrapolate our reads too much and get stick with our medium strength hands.

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
For the same reason... why children try to figure out what they're getting in the run-up to Christmas or before their birthday
or the expectation that a question/riddle will be answered/solved. It's the uncertainty that "eats you up"!

Imagine a gaming show where viewers don't know what the correct answer to the quiz question is if the contestant answers it incorrectly.
People would go crazy!

It is human nature to avoid this feeling of uncertainty !

It's the same with poker. If you don't see what your opponent thinks is a hand, ponder it for many hands afterward.
The instinctive decision is to call.
It is therefore important to be clear about "what goal do I want to achieve with my game?" in order to better deal with folding.

Anyone who plays poker primarily for action and fun will generally have difficulty folding their hands.
But if you have confidence in your game, you have certainty in your decisions!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
that's the thing that upsets me because I haven't learned it properly yet and can I learn it at all

I will never be easy to make the correct fold. The thing is we need to stop or do our best not to care once we fold or make the call. Poker is a game were people make bluffs and will show us to tilt us. We are also human, and we don't like to look bad when someone catches us making a mistake. We also need to remember we are making the best decision based on the best possible information and that is not complete information.

When you are making a decision why do you make the bad call? It is you don't want to look foolish if you fold and they show a bluff? You need to stop letting your ego get in the way of your decision. Are you bad calls being make on bad boards? I see often 4 spades on the board and some calls with Pocket aces and no Spaid? Why would you want to call there? 90% of the time they have a Spaid so why worry about the one time they don't? If its this type of issue just fold. Who care if they show a bluff?

What has helped me is just not caring if they do show it. If they show the worse hand, I folded does it matter. They are showing the winning hand, and it don't really matter what you did. In one live tourney a player bluffed me and rubbed it in over several minutes. I just said outload You had 2 pair and beat me so why are you calling it a bluff? It confused him and the whole table and got people question what exactly happened. Someone in the end actually agreed with my BS. Take in when they show as it is info but just don't care. Also remember a bad fold is only a small mistake. Bad calls cost you more and are bigger mistakes.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It's hard to fold because the temptation is great to win with other hands, not just strong ones

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Sometimes a good fold is better than a good call. I think it depends on the level you are playing and what’s at stake. I will call a hand I’m pretty sure I’m loosing if I can afford it to see what the other guy has its information. I’m getting much better at folding good hands on the bubble or in spots where losing would be devastating and I’m in a decent position with plenty more hands to play.

I think it’s hard too because people seem to be playing such crap. No one believes anyone everyone must be bluffing, no one can give up their big blind.

And don’t get me started on going all in for 1500 when the blinds are 20/10 and there’s 30 in the pot. You’d get the same effect pot betting. Risking 1500 and your game for 30 chips? Because if someone calls they probably winning, if your hand is strong surely you want people to call it so why price them out. It’s really annoying. And why do people throw away their stack because they lose one hand? Chip leaders loose 25% of stack (still way above average) then smash it all in all angry and go out 2 hands later… why? I love getting knocked down to nothing and building it back up and I have so much respect for players that do that without going all in every hand.

What you have to do is play each hand separately don’t marry hands - don’t put yourself in a position where you are committed with middle pair or J10 off don’t over bet, see flops, you don’t have to continuation bet if you raised pre, you can check, it’s a massive telll when people raise pre, continue on flop but then check turn, or 3 bet/pot pre flop, then bet min on flop. The more you play the more you’ll find folding 88 on a AJ9 flop 4 hours into a tourney easy. I’ve been playing 11 years and I’ve only just started laying down KK when there is a A on board and the other players deffo call with A rag and I’m on the bubble :)

Only play small pairs if you get in cheap, and only call with them if you hit it. Otherwise fold those 2s.

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes it seems like you're giving in on the good side, but you have to pass in these

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are some hands in some particular situations that we cannot fold even if we know that we are wrong

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As an old guy, when I make my mind up (about anything) I find it very difficult to change my mind. Sometimes it really pays off and often it doesn't. Nevertheless I carry on! If I played poker for a living, this mentality would be a death blow,

lilypond

lilypond

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Maybe we think we can still win the hand. Maybe we haven't won a hand in a while and hoping to make a big win.

Folding in Poker