hennessy5

hennessy5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
When you bluff, you gotta tell a believable story. Also bluff on boards that have a lot of variety (potential flushes & straights etc)

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sometimes you can see through your opponents' online bluff plays.
It's really nice when you hit the bluff

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think to be able to bluff well you need to be able to have good reading abilities . you have to be able to put your opponent in the correct hand range . for example when there is a flush draw and you feel that your opponent misses it it is time to bluff . i have to say that i do have good reading abilities and my bluffs most of the time succeed .

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I know about bluffing? Hum... Let me see...

As a term it's when someone tells a lie in the most believable way right?

In poker, to bluff relates to reading villain's style, stats and range, the board, bet size, table positions...

There are quite a good amount of variables that may take me to bluff or call a bluff but since I play mostly online I have to be really careful about it.

And as far as I know a bluff bet, which is the contrary of a value bet, is when you want someone to believe you have a strong hand and expect him to fold.

Good question by the way. As far as it may seem simple, it's good a question to ask as a poker player.

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i know bluff is a very powerful too to use if u want to win at poker, since most of hands both player don´t hit anything at all
u have to understand when to bluff tho and the type of opponents u playing against to be able to bluff with success tho.

R

Rocketgyn

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yuri ''thenerdguy'' (one of the best regular Brazilian/world players) teaches something like ''if you get caught bluffing few times, you are bluffing less than you should''

fadred719

fadred719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
  • After playing poker for more than five years, I concluded that there is no point in bluffing at micro limits, they will give you chips there without bluffing

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hey,
I think a player need to be aware of other players (on the table) play style and tendancies to be able to identify a bluff.
I don't believe you'd be positive 100% when identifying a bluff, but when recognizing an opponent bluffing tendencies or acknowledging a good spot for a bluff from a villain point of view, it helps a lot with your decisions.
It depends on you table image and your opponent table image.
Gl at the tables.

K

kostja007

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think bluffcatching makes sense if you are playing against extreme aggressive opponents and you are unblocking bluffing cards. And blocking value hands. So on a board like AAKQ2a rainbow a hand like AT is good hand to bluffcatch. Worst will rarely call, but sometimes worst hands will bluff. You are blocking value hands like Ax and JT straight.

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
  • After playing poker for more than five years, I concluded that there is no point in bluffing at micro limits, they will give you chips there without bluffing

Is this for both tournaments and cash games? And no matter how the table is playing e.g. if there is a really conservative table with only say 4 people, wouldn't it make sense to widen your range and bluff a little (small bets rather than shoves)?

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
After playing poker for more than five years, I concluded that there is no point in bluffing at micro limits, they will give you chips there without bluffing
The point is to maximize your profits. If you're not using all the tools available to you, you're leaving money on the table.

neptunas888

neptunas888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I usually bluff on the flop with a bet of 1/3 or 1/5 of the pot. If the opponent has called, on further streets I give up)

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is an integral part of poker, without which it would never have become so popular.

fadred719

fadred719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
The point is to maximize your profits. If you're not using all the tools available to you, you're leaving money on the table.
  • You are absolutely right, but we are talking about micro-limits where people chip off 3 streets in 4, 5 pairs, in deeprun, yes, you can connect a bluff, but not to all apponents, Initially I meant a bluff against phones

fadred719

fadred719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
Is this for both tournaments and cash games? And no matter how the table is playing e.g. if there is a really conservative table with only say 4 people, wouldn't it make sense to widen your range and bluff a little (small bets rather than shoves)?
  • I only play mtt, it all depends on the apponents at the tables, as you correctly noticed. I wrote specifically about microlimits. if the apponent is not a phone, then you can bluff for cheap, and if the bluff is logical

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think for each player bluffing its different.....its tough to see player bluffing one hand except if you play with these player often.....

Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You are absolutely right, but we are talking about micro-limits where people chip off 3 streets in 4, 5 pairs, in deeprun, yes, you can connect a bluff, but not to all apponents, Initially I meant a bluff against phones
Some players are bad because they're calling stations. Some players are bad because they're nits. Some players are bad because they're too aggressive/overbluffers/maniacs. Not all micro-stakes players are calling stations, though there are lots of them. Some calling stations slow down when they see big bets and fold to aggression on the river if they don't hit their 2 pair or gutshot. Obviously it's stupid to bluff a total calling station, but bad players are easier to get solid reads on, and if you have a solid read, it should be easy to exploit them, and bluffing is one way to exploit bad play.

I mean, play how you think it best. I'm just saying that you can adjust to bad playing to make more money in other ways that just playing a perfectly straightforward game, and that includes having some bluffs in your range. Besides, when a bad player catches your bluff (or sees someone else catch it), they'll often over-compensate and assume that all your aggression is a bluff and call you way wider for way more.

Last edited:
kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
a good question, what I can say is that for me bluff only works when I'm playing cashgame or tournaments with very expensive buy-ins, because low value tournaments, or freerolls, the bluff hardly passes, most go all-in, since the investment made by them is almost nil, validating the shover.

Best comment in the thread...100% correct.

R

respuuu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing have sense if you know some of enemy habits.

thwenth1983

thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Good morning everyone, the bluff in poker is one of the fundamental tools to be profitable, I always watch videos of excellent players and it is a very talked about subject is the bluff if you are not bluffing you are playing wrong.
There are ways to know on the turn if you can river bluff, the secret of a good bluff and knowing how to use the turn to tell a story that you have a strong hand.
I've been playing poker since 2018 and now in December I went to learn how to bluff and it almost always passes.
When I started and heard players saying they had to study, I wondered why study?
If you want to evolve in poker you have to study a lot, I'm learning a lot, there are boards that even without hitting anything you can bet 3 barrels, now I understand why these guys who are the best in the world are so winning it's a lot of study, of course there's the the fact that they have a gift for playing poker, they are very intelligent and have other skills, they know how to read villains.
Before, I played with my cards and today, even without success, I play with the board, of course I have a lot to learn, I'm just starting to see poker in a different way.

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
hmm it's hard to spot a bluff because 2/3 of the time (roughly) the opponent doesn't bluff

Stanley Aguiar

Stanley Aguiar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Never bluffing all time, must be used wisely

G

guardianfox

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me the more I'm starting learn the less I bluff. Although, I must confess that I enjoy the endorphins release from a good bluff win almost as much as a win from a full house or high flush. Lol, probably the degen lurking in my shadow.
I have the most success with bluffing when im mindful of my position and my opponents. A lot of the time im sure they know im bluffing but they missed and i act after them and. And vice versa. Also, eeeeeeveryone raises on the button. We know its a bluff but why call it with a bad hand?

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At low levels I think it's better not to bluff as people don't know much about bluffing and they call you more often.