What do you know about bluffing?

N

NoMore

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In virtual poker, it is very difficult to feel the bluff of an opponent with a game mindset. I ask you to share what you know about bluff. It is very interesting to me as someone who has proven himself in poker for 7 years

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hm, I just caught some bluffs in cash games today but I also lost some money when I was sure someone was bluffing but that person had the nuts. When playing cash games I enter notes on the players sometimes. Of course the very best players only bluff frequently. What is a sign for me is when people bet way too high, way too early. Bluffers want to scare you, obviously, whereas those who have the nuts want to do the opposite. They want to keep you in the game and get some chips out of you after the turn or later.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

The bluff is a play that I do not try too often but find very exciting. In cases where I have a good chip stack and the situation is favourable, I may throw a bluff.

I would mostly use a bluff on hands where I place my opponents on a range and I believe the flop missed us completely, followed by a blank on the turn. Of course, my bluffs are disguised as value bets; most times I would have to fire two or even three bets, each a little larger than the last, before I can get the opponent to fold.

As you rightly pointed out, some people bet big out of the blue, sending a clear message that they would like you to fold. Good players mix it up and are hard to read since they would purposefully make an overbet to disguise the nuts or a monster hand. I also try to bluff when I believe the opponent is ahead and I miss a semi-bluff but the river washes up a beautiful scare card. Very often the situation just presents itself and I take a stab at it.

I avoid "calling stations" like a plague, as well as hyper-aggressive players. Against these, I exercise an abundance of caution and would need a monster hand or flop to go up against them. There is no bluffing them!

DG22572

DG22572

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I think the best Bluff is when you have the good cards and make the players think you have the bad cards, otherwise... I don't insist.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know that people are, mostly, suckers and will believe anything. Don't believe me? Ask any evangelist, politician, or Hollywood movie producer. If you can tell a good story folx will believe it and react accordingly. Do I bluff? In the words of Phil Ivey, "I never bluff..." :devilish:

yango

yango

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lying is an auxiliary tool in poker, you always have to put the player who comes to use this instrument at the right time and not at any time to avoid a defeat it is better to ask for some chips than to lose everything and leaving the tournament I always said it is something slow but the best thing about playing lying is connecting bad hands is say the famous Bad Beats that help win the hand

T

Tracker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me the more I'm starting learn the less I bluff. Although, I must confess that I enjoy the endorphins release from a good bluff win almost as much as a win from a full house or high flush. Lol, probably the degen lurking in my shadow.

N

NoMore

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

The bluff is a play that I do not try too often but find very exciting. In cases where I have a good chip stack and the situation is favourable, I may throw a bluff.

I would mostly use a bluff on hands where I place my opponents on a range and I believe the flop missed us completely, followed by a blank on the turn. Of course, my bluffs are disguised as value bets; most times I would have to fire two or even three bets, each a little larger than the last, before I can get the opponent to fold.

As you rightly pointed out, some people bet big out of the blue, sending a clear message that they would like you to fold. Good players mix it up and are hard to read since they would purposefully make an overbet to disguise the nuts or a monster hand. I also try to bluff when I believe the opponent is ahead and I miss a semi-bluff but the river washes up a beautiful scare card. Very often the situation just presents itself and I take a stab at it.

I avoid "calling stations" like a plague, as well as hyper-aggressive players. Against these, I exercise an abundance of caution and would need a monster hand or flop to go up against them. There is no bluffing them!
you have a very interesting approach I liked it.I support your style of play

siberianspecial

siberianspecial

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
a good question, what I can say is that for me bluff only works when I'm playing cashgame or tournaments with very expensive buy-ins, because low value tournaments, or freerolls, the bluff hardly passes, most go all-in, since the investment made by them is almost nil, validating the shover.

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm still learning how to read if someone is bluffing. I'm terrible at it myself so that must be part of my challenge trying to figure out other people. I'll follow this thread though to hear and learn what others say. Thanks!

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I know 1 big rules on microlimits - never bluffing in phones))))

G

greenlarrow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I haven't bluffed before, and I haven't won much. Now the situation is better

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bluff must be in the right spot, on the wet boards for example, like closed flush or straight)

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If you could hit a straight, a flush or a high pair on turn or river it's a good bluffing card.
If no card falls where you could hit something like that you could go for value but please don't bluff.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I particularly prefer the semi bluff which is when you have a promising hand. A straight draw or a flush draw for example.

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you could hit a straight, a flush or a high pair on turn or river it's a good bluffing card.
If no card falls where you could hit something like that you could go for value but please don't bluff.

Does low pair on a low board count as a good bluffing hand? Asking for a friend

reeseflamees

reeseflamees

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
No I almost never bluff, I do prefer to play only strong hands
At least 1 pair 10 J Q K or aces.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, what I can to say about a Bluff?.. I think, have the four options...
First two: You doing Bluff, or not! The other two: You open the opponent's Bluff, or not!
All simply! Good Luck!

G

GoodMoon90

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is an important part of poker, and it is this feature that makes this card game so popular.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I believe that against the bluff of other players there is only one sure way - to go all-in, and then how the card will fall))) But this is only if you have a strong hand or a potentially strong one. I rarely bluff myself. And it's more like a semi-bluff with a draw.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I do know about bluffing is that you have to be very selective as to when you attempt it. I pick my spots for a good bluff.