Sitting out ,do you try to steal chips ?

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I leave nothing that can reach me.

S

scortix

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Beware! its a TARP.
Not always tho. Ill try to steal with a broad range

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position and how desperate i am for chips...
But i think you should try to be the one who gets this dead money.
It's profit without competition... The best thing you cvan get in poker.

If you are capable of giving up a failed steal and minimize your losses that way then it can be a profitable thing. Even better when you re-steal. If you think that an opponent in front of you is only trying to steal you can re-raise him and take down a pot with more than just the blinds in it :)

pac818man

pac818man

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you see a player sitting out in the big blind do you try to steal his chips by bluffing?
Depends on how many players to call/on the table. i'm always skeptical when other players raise on other players sitting out. Maybe it's because I often do it myself:D

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's always stealing the blinds, no matter the reason. You have to claim it before someone else does.

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes absolutely ..Every time. If I have to wait I am going make it a little bit worth the time. Thank you.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yap, for sure. But at 888 poker I got fooled yesterday, wehen that player suddenly was back (with AK, ouch).

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If I see sb not stealing another player's chips/blinds if he's sitting out , I believe sth shady is going on , a stupid bot maybe ??? If I see some players sitting out and I have position , I will try to steal , especially with a good hand by 3 betting . If I don't have position I will limp sometimes to see the action that follows , always adjusting my choices according to how eager the players that have position are to protect these sitting out chips/blinds from stealing by others apart from themselves :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yap, for sure. But at 888 poker I got fooled yesterday, wehen that player suddenly was back (with AK, ouch).

You can protect yourself against this by only making a normal raise or even a mini-raise, if you are last to act. If they then wake up and 3-bet you, you still only lost 2-3 BB. This is really the exception though. Usually people are in fact sitting out and dont come back in the time, that passes between you opening the pot, and them having to act.

pokergopher

pokergopher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you see a player sitting out in the big blind do you try to steal his chips by bluffing?

Absolutely you should raise to steel the free blinds. Many times the others at the table have not realized someone is away. It's almost gauranteed free chips for you.

T1ltmonkey

T1ltmonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the time the BTN, always in the SB. Otherwise, depends more on hands and players behind.

4nocreativity

4nocreativity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100% everytime I see someone sitting out in big blind I bet

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will raise every time if the player behind me is sitting out and no other bets are placed. If there are other players betting I am very careful about trying to steal the blinds. A couple of times when down to 2 a person went missing and I played as fast as I can. I don't know if that's proper thing to do or not, but that's kind of a risk when playing online I would say.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always nick the sitout chips. I love it when I get on a table full of sitouts and I just hover over the raise button and try and get all the chips before one of them gets back

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
always nick the sitout chips. I love it when I get on a table full of sitouts and I just hover over the raise button and try and get all the chips before one of them gets back

Its not exactly a winning strategy to sit out. Yesterday in a 9-man SnG on Stars someone build a big stack early and then sat out. Dont know if this was on purpose, or he just lost his internet. However when it was down to him and 3 other players, none of us were dumb enough to let him cash. We played cautiously against each other and patiently waited for him to get blinded down and finish in 4. place without cashing.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If this player is sitting out, why in the world should I NOT try to steal their big blind?

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to take advantage of people sitting out. You have to be careful though because I sometimes see players who it says are usually sitting out but always "wake up" when someone raises before them.

Perhaps they are trying to trap people into opening too wide?

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Some sit out on purpose and bounce back just before the big blind, note this.
A min bet is good enough to fold the sitter outs.
If they are out for more than a quarter hour the site should remove them from the tournament.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had several times that on the 9-seat table, everyone except me was on a sitout. Playing was very pleasant :). These situations happened to me freely in freerolls, in which registration was open at least a week before the start of the tournament

O

olflopwatcher

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Steal" chips???

I'm taking the blinds every chance.
So, Yes.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If they are out for more than a quarter hour the site should remove them from the tournament.

In paid tournaments I think, that would be to harsh. Its already not exactly a great strategy to be blinded away, and if someone has to go for life related reason or lose his internet, its fair to me, that he can make it as far, as his stack will last. In freerolls however I think, it would be fair to remove inactive players. If you dont have time to play a freeroll, then dont register. Pretty much as simple as that.

I also dont understand, why there need to be late registration in freerolls. Its not like, the site earn any more money that way or can create a larger pricepool. If someone did not manage to register, good for the players, who did, and if he has a ticket, he can just play the next freeroll. I absolutely love, that the Cardschat freerolls on pokerstars have no late registration. Be there on time, or dont go there at all.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also dont understand, why there need to be late registration in freerolls. Its not like, the site earn any more money that way or can create a larger pricepool. If someone did not manage to register, good for the players, who did, and if he has a ticket, he can just play the next freeroll. I absolutely love, that the Cardschat freerolls on PokerStars have no late registration. Be there on time, or dont go there at all.

Finally. Someone has said that thing. There's no need to make LR in freerolls at all. All the poker rooms should notice your message and think for a while about this, I think.

Poker Chips - History of Chips