oarroyo

oarroyo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PY
Chips
There are moments where you can think, but players who pass the time for no reason if they are quite annoying

JeLeuMic

JeLeuMic

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes yeah especially when the action is dead and there's obviously no point in stalling.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
some players who take longer take the time to think and analyze the situation and try to look for tells on you / their opponents

in online poker though many of the players who take long do so because they play several tables at once , or because they are distracted by TV or chat with someone etc. . thats what i think
I agree with this completely! I'd only add that if it is something that really bothers you try to play more tables. This has been a common occurrence since I have been playing across various sites since 2004. It's also why I started multi-tabling early on.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes, it's the kind of thing that annoys me

Reail

Reail

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
We never know what exactly served the slowplay - or sitout or the opponent's reflections, or malicious intent or something else. There is no escape from this. You just have to take it easy

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, that was rude. I don't think most people are understanding the post. All the answers about distractions and multitabling aren't useful to the conversation. OP explicitly references when someone loses and they go into pouting mode and run their time bank down. We can safely assume they were acting quickly before a loss based on the available information.

To answer you OP, they are attempting to force others to share in their misery. It doesn't bother me personally. If a table is moving to slow I just pick up and leave.
We all do it. I do. In the end it all depends on how the poker site wants to handle it.

But, you can’t just “pick up and leave” a tournament. Well, you can but that’s kind of not going to happen. I mean, well, I do, but I’m crazy.

pegasus888

pegasus888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definetly, those that play slow is to try to tilt their opponents, so they can start playing bad.

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It bothers me if it’s every bet of every hand. There’s no TV here to pause for so when they are dealt 72 off and have no chips…the can fold quickly but when they make it a loooong process…that bothers me.

As for those playing multiple table…give some respect to others and only play as many tables that allow you to respond to most in a reasonable amount of time. Again…fold your garbage hands quickly.

N

nicodev

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
players who sometimes lose start to make people nervous, see that they have lost and try to kill time. why do they do it? , they try to irritate the opponent in front of them. Your thoughts are very interesting. I didn't do it myself
Of course, it's annoying. I understand that there are people who need their time to think. But some overdo it and really get annoyed.

F

Forkliftgu22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly it doesn’t bother me at all.
Everybody paid the buy in and should be allowed to play how they please.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think it is interesting you say this behaviour aligns with losing players. I'm not sure the data would bear that out.
There are many reasons to play slowly.
1) You're just ****ing slow. I have a friend who cannot manage online poker because she is just too ****ing slow. She doesn't find the interface comfortable, and is used to a slow live game full of banter, etc.
2) Multi-tabling. Get more than 4-8 games running and you're going to start to hear that alarm a lot. It can be tough to manage large numbers of tables and inevitably, some timers start to run out.
3) Distractions. Sometimes I'll play poker as a side activity running alongside something else I'm doing. Usually these are freerolls or micros. So whether it is finishing a game at the dinner table or playing whilst watching a movie, I'll usually not look at the cards until the alarm has beeped...so it can take a little more time.
4) You are incompetent. There are lots of poseurs who like the idea of playing poker but never actually get below the surface of the game. They take time for no reason other than taking time. They have no basis for the decisions they're making so they simply waste time to make it look like something intelligent is going on up there (when it is not).
5) Incompetence Part 2: I see some people who run the clock all the time. Especially in Cards Chat games. To me this is a sign of weakness and misunderstanding of the game. Some people play slowly as they are trying to drive up the blinds. But this is pretty stupid in most cases as it just means fewer hands dealt per hour. The fewer hands you are dealt in on, the fewer hands you are going to win. It's not rocket science. Worse, the overall cost of the hand (in chips) is also more in a slowly played game. The reason why this is incompetence is that you are making it worse on yourself if you take a long time making decisions. it is more costly. to play. If you are a Tight/Aggressive or nitty player, you're waiting for those premiums and high pocket pairs and going to capitalise. But if you have to wait longer, your EV can go down.
6) You know what you are doing. Periodically varying your decision making timing can at least show people you are attempting to think. So when do you do it, strategically? Around the bubble, this can be a good tool for helping you survive into the money.
7) Competence part 2: Late game / Final Table... you might choose to run the clock to minimise the number of hands your opponents are getting. So generally t is better for us to see lots of cheap hands. Funnily enough though, that can also benefit other players too. Late game, when I'm on FT and if I'm one of the larger stacks, I will slow things down to put pressure on the smaller stacks.
8) Competence Part 3: Sometimes there are people who tilt when the game starsts to creep. (I have been known to be one of these players). If you know someone will play worse poker as a result of slow play, well, it is definitely tactical then to slow it down when playing with them. The problem there is that tilty players can be unpredictable and just when you think you've got them, they turn over 72o and have hit a boat.
9) Competence Part 4: If I get into a situation where I have a tough decision to make, I will want to consult opponent stats and look deeper into the HUD data. If I need to uncheck/un-tick boxes for flop/turn/river for example, and then look at the preflop data, it can take some time. Same goes for looking at my notes.
10) Consistency. I typically make my decisions quickly and then enter my decision between a quarter and halfway...ie generally prior to the alarm sounding...or right on it. Even for what would otherwise be snap calls, I tend to do this. This is just to remove any information opponents might glean from extra quick or extra slow decisions.

ASIDE: generally, I don't like strategies which are simply designed to put someone on tilt. I think it is bad sportsmanship. For some, a win is a win, and the end justifies the means. But generally, not for me. I subscribe to the Wil Wheaton "don't be a dick" school of thought...throwables excluded. We want the poker environment to be attractive to people with money but no poker skill. So don't tap the tank...and don't be a dick.

Cheers,
JT

N

NoMore

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it seems to me that the more you play, the less it will annoy you, someone does it on purpose, someone has a lot of tables, the connection is bad, etc. this should not interest you, some kind of trouble or poorly played hand brings more stress:)

in tournaments, who has a short stack and prizes are not far away, I constantly meet with such behavior of players
I have met such players a lot, they play late but they text and make people nervous

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have met such players a lot, they play late but they text and make people nervous
there are some, and among the CC participants there is a player who did this in the poker stars freeroll the whole game, even when the synchronous hand distribution was turned on, when there was no point in doing it, he played the whole game like that and I sat at the same table with him the whole game

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its very rare for me to found a player who is that slow which would annoy me. If I'm playing an MTT session, its just long either way with or without slower decisions. And if surviving the bubble or getting another payjump is important, who can blame this person? :)

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking your time to make a decision at times is fine. But when taking your time with every action is annoying. When a player does this at my table I chat that I'm doing the same thing for this players benefit, it seems to only take a couple of time and the slow player has always picked up the pace. Sorry to the other players but it works for me.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is definitely something that is annoying me lately. i understand many circumstances can cause players to tank. Bad internet, distracted by tv or surfing the web. Some people also use programs that they will be studying while playing. But there is absolutely no doubt there are people that do it on purpose, there are several on CC. It is designed to annoy/tilt people, personally i think if you are more focused on annoying others at the table, that you are on your own game, its a huge sign of weakness.

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Im only nervous then begin a break and im still with him in play. In another situation i play 6 tables and i dont care how another players use their timebank and im not nervous or bored

katifanko

katifanko

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's annoying because it seems like they are playing several tables at a time and now the whole table has to sit and wait for these "brilliant multitaskers". IMO, it's impolite and disrespectful of other people's time.

G

greenlarrow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don’t really like it, you start playing quickly - you make rash decisions. As a result, elimination from the tournament

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a number of reasons for using this approach. For example, a poker player deliberately pisses off an opponent in order to drive him into tilt. A tilting player does not control emotions, which adversely affects his result.

Also, the intentional delay of cards can be motivated by the desire to take revenge or simply annoy the opponent. For example, if he took a lot of chips in many hands or during the session, while blatantly bluffing with trash hands. Opponents may be tempted to recoup and do so in an unusual manner by deliberately delaying the process. True, this is fraught with negative consequences. In particular, for the bankroll, because in this situation a person wants to take revenge more than to return the lost stack and earn.

choche0372

choche0372

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it's normal, because its their time