Just how random ARE the random card generators in poker?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

๐Ÿ™‰ ๐Ÿ™ˆ ๐Ÿ™Š
Loyaler
Joined
Feb 18, 2018
Total posts
4,279
Awards
3
CA
Chips
221
Although they are random, they have algorithms that alternate.
See that's interesting that you say that, because then how many are there and how often do they alternate? And at what point would an alternating algorithm become essentially random?
 
Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Joined
Feb 23, 2016
Total posts
1,356
Awards
2
Chips
20
I've often wondered about how random the RNG is, sometimes it seems like certain cards are hot that night or cold, but maybe it's like that in real life too?
 
antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Joined
Dec 25, 2014
Total posts
6,297
Awards
20
GR
Chips
296
Maybe they should change the name . It's everything but random . Lol
 
freerobert

freerobert

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Joined
Dec 16, 2022
Total posts
480
Awards
1
DE
Chips
51
I think the cards are dealt true randomly. What we humans have a hard time recognizing is when we're winning "with the worse starting cards" or when we're sucking on others on the river ourselves. Our focus is v10x more on the pain of busting than on a hand we win. I mean, how many players have you knocked out of a tournament before you lose in the money on the RIver? Sure some. And they could say the same about your cards here, your cards would treat you preferentially. The mere fact that if a manipulation came out, the whole business would be over, excludes that manipulation is taking place here.

In my opinion, if you want to win, this is where a factor comes into play that is often forgotten: instinct. There is no right to ALWAYS win on the river with a 96% chance of winning. You will lose 4% of all cases. This is the reality and must be accepted when calling on the RIver with a 96% chance of winning.

Good luck :)
 
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

๐Ÿ™‰ ๐Ÿ™ˆ ๐Ÿ™Š
Loyaler
Joined
Feb 18, 2018
Total posts
4,279
Awards
3
CA
Chips
221
When I'm winning >>> it's completely random

When I'm losing >>> It's obviously RIGGED! (right puzzler?)
Nope wrong as usual.

It's always rigged if it is rigged, whether you win or someone else does.
 
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

๐Ÿ™‰ ๐Ÿ™ˆ ๐Ÿ™Š
Loyaler
Joined
Feb 18, 2018
Total posts
4,279
Awards
3
CA
Chips
221
Dude. It is a joke. Don't you get it?
No dude, jokes are supposed to be funny. But if it's all rigged and people know how to exploit it, it's not fun at all playing when you're not getting the right cards to run good.
 
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

#2 in y'er pantz?
Platinum Level
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Total posts
25,385
Awards
6
CA
Chips
254
No dude, jokes are supposed to be funny. But if it's all rigged and people know how to exploit it, it's not fun at all playing when you're not getting the right cards to run good.
you're hopeless. I'm blocking you as 100% of your posts are ridiculous. I mean... looking for reasons why you're unlucky.. meanwhile you don't know preflop bet sizing, hand selection, etc. etc. Stuff that is ABC beginner play. You're terrible. Why not take a look at that?
Later. my last post to you.
 
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

๐Ÿ™‰ ๐Ÿ™ˆ ๐Ÿ™Š
Loyaler
Joined
Feb 18, 2018
Total posts
4,279
Awards
3
CA
Chips
221
you're hopeless. I'm blocking you as 100% of your posts are ridiculous. I mean... looking for reasons why you're unlucky.. meanwhile you don't know preflop bet sizing, hand selection, etc. etc. Stuff that is ABC beginner play. You're terrible. Why not take a look at that?
Later. my last post to you.
Lol. So it's okay to be unlucky if your preflop bet sizing and hand selection is not perfect.

You're๐Ÿ‘ a ๐Ÿ‘ losing ๐Ÿ‘ player ๐Ÿ‘ who ๐Ÿ‘ is ๐Ÿ‘ preaching ๐Ÿ‘ this ๐Ÿ‘.

๐Ÿ‘‹
 
KanasTa

KanasTa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Joined
Nov 15, 2023
Total posts
1
RO
Chips
32
its totally random here is a post i made before to explain
Ok Im a former programmer I worked for AT&T and IBM. Let me tell you one way I would write a simple poker program. I would create an array simply put it is like a box with 52 boxes in it. I would load that array with the 52 cards randomly by using a random number generator from 1 to 52 and assigning each card a number. That mimics a shuffle. Then I could either start dealing out the cards starting at any point I want or randomly select the slots I would choose the cards from. Done, totally random and it would be no different than a live dealer shuffling a deck and dealing the cards. Now what you are implying is after this is done my program makes some sort of decision if A then B. It doesnt, a random program has no decision points other than is the slot I just chose empty (I have already chose that card) or full. To make this example equal a live dealer, he has 52 slots to put those cards in thinking each card is in its own slot while sitting in the deck. He shuffles them randomly filling the slots he then deals them out accordingly.
If you are not tired of reading then yes I could write a program that specifically deals the cards one way and favors certain players or manipulates the cards according to a flop or players hold cards. But that would not be a random deal and that would not pass any certification criteria.
I'm also a developer, but I really believe that online poker platforms use some form of uniformization of profits similar to slot machines so, unless you don't have an average higher edge on ypur game than the rest of the players you can't get out of it.
The fairest thing to do would be to preshuffle the deck instead of randomly exctracting cards from the array at any given time, which they can't because it would represent a security problem.
The slot machines developers, I know it for sure, they have disclosure contracts that forbids them to make public the alghoritms that ensure the provide of the slot machine get 60% and the players get the rest of 40%. I'd not be surprise if same kind of alghoritms are used to ensure all players win and loose just enough to not be lost as clients.
 
M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Joined
Jan 11, 2018
Total posts
712
Awards
3
KZ
Chips
72
There are suspicions, and Iโ€™m not the only one, that in small poker rooms the random number generator is not so random.
 
R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Joined
Aug 29, 2021
Total posts
864
Awards
1
Chips
171
Online poker seems to have more action than live poker. Many big pots going to and fro. But that's that.
 
gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Joined
Jan 22, 2022
Total posts
649
Awards
2
UA
Chips
146
Sometimes I think this is far from accidental.
 
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Total posts
74,487
Awards
20
Chips
1,292
I'm also a developer, but I really believe that online poker platforms use some form of uniformization of profits similar to slot machines so, unless you don't have an average higher edge on ypur game than the rest of the players you can't get out of it.
The fairest thing to do would be to preshuffle the deck instead of randomly exctracting cards from the array at any given time, which they can't because it would represent a security problem.
The slot machines developers, I know it for sure, they have disclosure contracts that forbids them to make public the alghoritms that ensure the provide of the slot machine get 60% and the players get the rest of 40%. I'd not be surprise if same kind of alghoritms are used to ensure all players win and loose just enough to not be lost as clients.

For tournaments (which is what most of you play) - how would that lead to profit for the site?
 
Fumogrosso

Fumogrosso

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Joined
Oct 7, 2023
Total posts
108
Awards
1
BR
Chips
46
I think they're completely random, even more so than the real deck. The real deck starts from a pre-existing position, the online deck is generated every time, I think
 
mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Joined
Nov 15, 2023
Total posts
191
Awards
1
BY
Chips
84
probably by accident. it's just that moving is more often noticed. it happens that one player comes in frankly everything, and it is not clear how to beat him, but this does not mean that tomorrow this player will also be lucky. porer rooms don't care who wins the tournament, Uzbek or Ethiopian, the room gets its own from the contribution to the tournament, and then it's up to the players, because the entrance to the tournament is the same for everyone)) there is no such thing that whoever paid more, the cards are better. it's just that moving is seen better than your luck)) when AA loses a tripsk of twos, then that's it, then the random number generator is twisted, and when pocket threes are against AKs, then it all turns out correctly... you need to be prepared that you can fly out of the game at any time and in the dirtiest way.
 
Last edited:
laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Total posts
249
Awards
1
VN
Chips
176
It is a random number generator, but in my opinion it is only for large online pages.
 
Top